Scott Rolen out for 6 months

White Sox Josh

The Cardinals are the TRUE "best team in baseball" without having Rolen, Walker, Sanders, Molina, etc. for parts of the season. They find guys ( including minor-leaguers ) to plug in to their roster and they just keep on rolling. Even as talented as he is, I think they'll be fine without Rolen.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
The Cardinals are the TRUE "best team in baseball" without having Rolen, Walker, Sanders, Molina, etc. for parts of the season. They find guys ( including minor-leaguers ) to plug in to their roster and they just keep on rolling. Even as talented as he is, I think they'll be fine without Rolen.

They started off with one of the best benches in baseball, with guys like Taguchi and Mabry sitting around waiting for playing time. That has helped a lot. Also, they haven't gotten hurt at the positions they're strongest at...up the middle and at 1b.

The guy who has really hurt them while he's been out has been Molina...that's the 1 injury that saw their record get worse.

And of course, there's always 1 last point...I don't care how many people get hurt, when you put Pujols in a lineup...that's a solid lineup.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)

Really, they're the only dominant team in baseball. It's kind of like the NFL with the Patriots. They have the most depth, the fewest weaknesses, incredible coaching, etc.

I'd put money on them right now if not for the fact that there is an outside shot that the Sox could meet them in the World Series.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
Atlanta?

Really? You'd consider Atlanta a dominant team right now? I guess that I'd put them in the "Very Good Teams" category with the White Sox, Red Sox, Astros, Angels, Athletics, etc. I don't like their pitching too much.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
Really?  You'd consider Atlanta a dominant team right now?  I'll guess that I'd put them in the "Very Good Teams" category with the White Sox, Red Sox, Astros, Angels, Athletics, etc.  I don't like their pitching too much.

They have made the playoffs for what, 15 straight years now, without breaking the bank any of those years. They have a chance to win just as much as the Cardinals every year, depending on how injuries go. I'd call them incredibly dominant just for how long they've done it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
They have made the playoffs for what, 15 straight years now, without breaking the bank any of those years.  They have a chance to win just as much as the Cardinals every year, depending on how injuries go.  I'd call them incredibly dominant just for how long they've done it.

I hear that. I'm just talking about this year, at this point in time.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
Really?  You'd consider Atlanta a dominant team right now?  I guess that I'd put them in the "Very Good Teams" category with the White Sox, Red Sox, Astros, Angels, Athletics, etc.  I don't like their pitching too much.

Their pitching? Hudson, Smoltz, Hampton, Thompson...I'd take them in the playoffs. I think you mean to say their hitting is scarier, atleast that is for me IMHO. Their bullpen is bad too, but who knows what could happen in the playoffs.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
Their pitching? Hudson, Smoltz, Hampton, Thompson...I'd take them in the playoffs. I think you mean to say their hitting is scarier, atleast that is for me IMHO. Their bullpen is bad too, but who knows what could happen in the playoffs.

Their hitting is pretty damn good, actually. Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Jeff Francouer, Marcus Giles, Rafael Furcal, Adam Laroche, etc. That works for me.

And yeah, I like the 3 man rotation with Hudson/Smoltz/Hampton.

But that bullpen is gonna get them knocked out of the playoffs in a hurry. That's why I said that I don't like their pitching too much.

This is a very good team, just not a dominant one.