Calm down, Sox fans

rcpweiner

I'm not panicking. I'm actually glad we will have suffered a losing streak this season.

We've gotta face some adversity.

We do have some weaknesses but if we don't have dead arms and can be healthy we have as good a chance as anybody.

That's big ifs, though. We may be pretty banged up.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
Great read. I have to agree with it, because that's all I've seen. It's ONLY a 5 game losing streak.

It is and it isn't.

I'm more concerned about the "old ways" re-emerging without Podsednik.

Not much stealing, no hit-and-running, not as much first-inning scoring, huge reliance on the long ball to score.

The pitching staff has slumped a bit, which wouldn't be as big a deal if the offense didn't look so helpless most of the time.

I'm not AS concerned about the last 5 games as I am about the last 5 weeks or so, when the Sox have looked average at best.

And if we Sox fans were "Cub-like", that would mean we wouldn't even DISCUSS wins or losses, just who we talked to on the cellphone, how many chicks we talked to in the bleachers, how LIT UP we got and where we went after the game.

What a perfect article. I can't say how many times I have tried to tell people to enjoy the trip instead of freaking out about the destination. Everyone flipping out all of the time, is what makes this such a miserable place to come lately. Who wants to hang out somewhere, when everyone is crying about something. I think a menstration party would be more fun than talking about the Sox on here lately.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
What a perfect article.  I can't say how many times I have tried to tell people to enjoy the trip instead of freaking out about the destination.  Everyone flipping out all of the time, is what makes this such a miserable place to come lately.  Who wants to hang out somewhere, when everyone is crying about something.  I think a menstration party would be more fun than talking about the Sox on here lately.

I'm a White Sox fan. It's in my blood to freak out about everything that goes bad until the final goal is completely in hand. I think there's some of it in all of our blood...because everyone here has seen us go into Minnesota too many times in August and be swept and end up having it cost us the season.

I have enjoyed the ride. I'm just scared of it ending with a crash.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
If Hermie takes care of Cuddyer on Tuesday, everything is cool.

But we do need to start swinging the bats and manufacturing runs.

I will confess that I'm not real thrilled to be facing Mussina, Chacon, Randy Johnson and Santana the next four games.

It ain't gonna be easy.

Not at all.

Not to mention if Boston doesn't screw us out of finishing that game, that is another win we are probably talking about...

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
If Hermie takes care of Cuddyer on Tuesday, everything is cool.

But we do need to start swinging the bats and manufacturing runs.

I will confess that I'm not real thrilled to be facing Mussina, Chacon, Randy Johnson and Santana the next four games.

It ain't gonna be easy.

Not at all.

Don't they get Jared Wright Sunday?

That article pretty much defines us. It was a great read. We know The Sox are going to snap out of it and have a double-digit lead. But they are playing like s*** now. That just adds fuel to the fire. Although, when they start winning again, we'll still be here to judge Ozzie's decision-making. :P

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
It is and it isn't.

I'm more concerned about the "old ways" re-emerging without Podsednik.

Not much stealing, no hit-and-running, not as much first-inning scoring, huge reliance on the long ball to score.

The pitching staff has slumped a bit, which wouldn't be as big a deal if the offense didn't look so helpless most of the time.

I'm not AS concerned about the last 5 games as I am about the last 5 weeks or so, when the Sox have looked average at best.

And if we Sox fans were "Cub-like", that would mean we wouldn't even DISCUSS wins or losses, just who we talked to on the cellphone, how many chicks we talked to in the bleachers, how LIT UP we got and where we went after the game.

I heard a great historical comparison today to a team that won the WS and went through what the White Sox are going through right now. The 1984 Tigers. They didn't have much power, and did a lot with their pitching and defense. They jumped out to a huge early lead and down the stretch, played about .500 baseball. Their best power man was their 1B, who hit about 35 HR. So, just because they're playing poorly now (with a key member of the team on the DL) doesn't mean all is lost.