Sox v. Yanks 8/19/05 Official Game Thread

bjm676

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
And you honestly think Kenny's not trying to get something done?

I mean you guys make it sound like he can just go to TB and say, "I want Huff. Give him to me. Thanks"

Teams were, and still are asking for a hell of a lot this year.

well if he is....lets just say he's taking his time. Our offense has been doing this for the whole month. If it werent for our stellar pitching, we'd be really really really more f***ed than we are.....which is hard to imagine.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)

I mean you guys make it sound like he can just go to TB and say, "I want Huff. Give him to me. Thanks"

Teams with the marquee players were asking for a ton (Griffey, Wagner, Huff, Guardado, Burnett). Jim Hendry must have naked pictures of the Pirates GM, because he sure got Matt Lawton for cheap. Lawton would have been the perfect addition to this team.

You guys are acting like KW didn't think we needed to get KGJ. He tried. It didn't work out. There owner didn't want to give them up.

I agree with you, he tried.

That was also the reason why he held onto Everett when most on this site were b****ing about keeping him, it turned out he was an insurance policy for Thomas, although Everett has slumped badly too.

Personally I was on the Ryan Freel bandwagon, big time, but as it turned out he was playing with a really bad knee for the last month and lo and behold he had season ending knee surgery. So maybe that's why they didn't make a push for him.

But the reality is, they don't award trophies for trying, and they did not bring in a bat for whatever reason and right now the offense is extremely bad.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
BTW, our good friend Lew Ford put the Twins ahead 7-4 with a 3 run homer.  This is a lot of fun!

I'd like to think the fact that our lead will be in single digits after tonight would spark us, but I doubt it.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
He's been awesome this year. Incredible. But he still blew it. That was his fault. That doesn't make him bad or anything like that. It's still his fault though.

That's exactly what I was saying. It has been obvious recently that Hermanson wasn't very sharp. It was just a matter of time for him to blow another save. He's the last person who should be blamed right now (along with Cotts).

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
I'd like to think the fact that our lead will be in single digits after tonight would spark us, but I doubt it.

No, it probably just gives the Indians more momentum. I just can't believe how flat we're playing.

Teams with the marquee players were asking for a ton (Griffey, Wagner, Huff, Guardado, Burnett).  Jim Hendry must have naked pictures of the Pirates GM, because he sure got Matt Lawton for cheap.  Lawton would have been the perfect addition to this team.

Well, the Pirates wanted a cheap but proven major league OF for Lawton, who's entering his walk year. I agree Lawton arguably could have helped, but I'm not sure the Sox had the kind of player Pittsburgh wanted. I could be wrong but I do not think there was a match.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Teams with the marquee players were asking for a ton (Griffey, Wagner, Huff, Guardado, Burnett).  Jim Hendry must have naked pictures of the Pirates GM, because he sure got Matt Lawton for cheap.  Lawton would have been the perfect addition to this team.

Where would he play? Certainly not over Pods, Rowand, Dye or Everett. We could have only used a 3b or a DH. And Matt Lawton is not a DH.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
About as flat as a little girl.

The worst thing is that this has been the armageddon that I was worried would happen all year. Now that it's taking place, I'm worried because we look worse than I could have ever imagined. The team is so flat, the games are just so boring, and the players look like they're scared out of their minds. We're playing not to lose!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
That's exactly what I was saying.  It has been obvious recently that Hermanson wasn't very sharp.  It was just a matter of time for him to blow another save.  He's the last person who should be blamed right now (along with Cotts).

He's the last person who should be blamed in general, but he's the only person who should be blamed for that individual loss.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)

Wasn't Rogowski the only "major" minor leaguer involved in rumored Junior deal? If that was an actual deal and it went through, it would of been the steal of the century. The owner may of nixed it cuz he wanted more, so my point is moot.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
Where would he play? Certainly not over Pods, Rowand, Dye or Everett. We could have only used a 3b or a DH. And Matt Lawton is not a DH.

I think the guy we need to go for is Omar Vizquel. He's exactly what we need. Contact hitter, speed, great defense. Uribe could be moved to the bench.

The whole NL West friggen sucks, hopefully San Francisco will trade him to us. (If he cleared waivers).

CWSOX45

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
I think the guy we need to go for is Omar Vizquel. He's exactly what we need. Contact hitter, speed, great defense. Uribe could be moved to the bench.

Hell, I'm willing to bet we could trade Uribe FOR Vizquel.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 02:31 AM)

Certainly not over any of those guys? Lawton is just as good as Pods offensively, and especially when Dye is struggling, he'd be a perfect back-up. Why can't Lawton be a DH? Is there some rule saying he has to play the field?

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Anyone else a little bummed out Mussina held us down? Pretty much all our hitters had to do tonight is be patient, Yanks are and their getting stuff going their way. All I can do is shake my head.

Check the OBP for this team. And look where it ranks in the AL, we are not a patient team.

We are a bung of swing monkeys. The minute a pitch is remotely near the plate we are hacking.

No working the count, no taking a walk.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)

We all know he's trying to get something done, the Cinci phone lines are still hot down there, but fact is JR, and KW may have to push the envelope at little. If we need to pay a substantail abount of Griffey's salary we may have to do it, we may even need to give up Anderson (which I don't want to do).

Whats sad is this whole timely hitting thing seems to be dissaperaing. Thats what the Sox have relied on all year, and if the timely hitting stops we have no offense. Even with Pods in the lineup, we still aren't too threating.