Sox v. Yanks 8/19/05 Official Game Thread

bjm676

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:34 AM)
thats like saying we are a little league team and our best player is hurt and we cant win. this is a pro team. players need to step in and try and win with out there best player. just my two cents.

And if you do DL a player, make a move to fill the spot. Timo and Anderson? No.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
--good point southside, but you gotta admit at 36 games over .500 it didn't look like we needed too much. If Everett, Dye, Crede, Iggy, AJ, Paulie, et. all keep hitting like this we might blow the big division lead, but I still say we'll get back on track. I just wish Hermy would have not given up the ninth inn. homer; that woulda been nice to win since it's gonna be tough to snap our funk vs. New York.

Everyone knew we needed offensive help. We lost one of our most dangerous hitters in Frank Thomas, and didn't do a single f***ing thing to replace his production. Putting Everett in the starting lineup severely depleted our bench, and Everett should not be anywhere close to the number 3 spot in the order.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
Look at the pitching numbers the first half of the season compared to the second half of the season.  I think that's the biggest difference that has happened to this team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
Grease we hit 250 in April and May.  We won because of overhwelming pitching.  If it wasnt for our pitching having a BAA in the 220's in April and in the 250's in May.

The pitching has still kept us in games in the second half where we should be able to win. Garland did have better outings than tonight in the first half, but an outing like tonight should be deserved of a win. The offense hasn't been exactly clutch (Hawk-don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit :rolly) the second half. The offense was always able to do just enough.

In the first half, you could feel the offense was going to comeback from a deficit like tonight's. You don't feel that anymore.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:38 AM)
In the first half, you could feel the offense was going to comeback from a deficit like tonight's.  You don't feel that anymore.

I feel like a big part of the reason for that was we're now facing real solid bullpens that won't take games.

Why the offense is struggling in August

Lets start with f***ing retarded hitters

Our leadoff hitter Timo Perez 192BA with a .276OBP This is our sparkplug for the retard offense

Gooch is hitting .229

Arow .258 Cannot hit the outside pitch, sliders away are dunstonlike

Crede is batting .136 with a .174OBP This should be the last season for this experiment

Jermaine Dye .173 Glad to see he is a streaky hitter

Uribe .244 3 year contract rewarded for a good April and May last year

Guys hitting pretty good

AJ is 289 Not bad

Guys who are hitting good

Everett is batting .325 Nobody is on base for me to drive in

Konerko is batting .321 Nobody is on base for me to drive in

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
If Pods is overrated, then how do you explain how the Sox got off to their best start in 100 years and have been around 30 games over .500 for what seems like most of the summer.  How were they getting it done? Luck? Solo Homeruns?

Honestly it's a mystery to me, and I've watched every single game.

the sheer fact that this team was 74-40 when pods was in the lineup or whatever nad 0-5 since or whatever other numbers you wanna throw out at me is fine. this is what i mean when i say the fans overrate podesdnik. he sure is a catalyst for our offense. unquestionably. but what people tend to forget is when we had the big boppers, remember when our pitching staff was 10th in teh AL. we are now tops, or damn near close to it. yes podsednik is a big part of our O. but think of it like this in terms of basketball, since its easier to quantify than baseball..........

a team of five scores 100 points, each scoring 20 points. they win alot 100-95. but one of the five gets injured, and hte back up only scores 10 a game. now you lose 95-90. so yes, hes important, but is he the only reason the team kept winning 100-95? no, the contributions of the others are equally important. i hate to have to explain it like that, but to be honest thats really the only way i can say what i understnad in my own head. at any rate i love podsednik and that trade with mil. was incredible for us, because it also got us AJ and Tad. i just feel fans have a tendancy to give him sole credit for being 34 games over before he left, when the improved pitching staff deserves more credit IMO

sorry for the lengthy post

Everyone knew we needed offensive help. We lost one of our most dangerous hitters in Frank Thomas, and didn't do a single f***ing thing to replace his production. Putting Everett in the starting lineup severely depleted our bench, and Everett should not be anywhere close to the number 3 spot in the order.

--Fathom I don't know about that. Everett and Dye were considered

to be having pretty good years; AJ having a big year.

Also Crede was starting to hit and Iguchi having monster year.

Is Anderson the answer?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
specially amazing seasons from Garland, Cotts, Politte, and Hermanson.  Those guys have pitched so far over their heads this season, and it really boosted our record.

Career years for each of them yes, but you can't take away the fact that coming in to the season they could be keys. Look at the Twins in 02, they had a lot of improvements from key guys who helped them win but you can't say thats the only reason they succeeded. Yes we got some lucky wins but I wouldn't say we are lucky overall.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Where would he play?

honestly, i keep thinking that joke is gonna get old. but for some reason i laugh every time i see it, even though i know its coming

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:42 AM)
--Fathom I don't know about that. Everett and Dye were considered

to be having pretty good years; AJ having a big year.

Also Crede was starting to hit and Iguchi having monster year.

Is Anderson the answer?

Your standards seem a little low to me. Monster year for Iguchi? He's been very solid, but monster year? No.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
Career years for each of them yes, but you can't take away the fact that coming in to the season they could be keys. Look at the Twins in 02, they had a lot of improvements from key guys who helped them win but you can't say thats the only reason they succeeded. Yes we got some lucky wins but I wouldn't say we are lucky overall.

Look at their career numbers, and you could have never expected this type of season from all of them. Of course, Rowand and especially Uribe have put up disappointing seasons this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
Look at their career numbers, and you could have never expected this type of season from all of them.  Of course, Rowand and especially Uribe have put up disappointing seasons this year.

The 2 guys from our team who are mentioned the most when the steroid conversation comes up.

How many games do the Twins and Tribe have against each other left? Anyone know? If they have like 6-10 and they .500 or so against each other that would help the Sox (sad that I have to think about crunching numbers like this!)

The thing that is driving me crazy now is how KW and Ozzie stressed that Frank was going to be the midseason addition the sox needed, and they were right, he did help the offense, but now he's f***ing gone!! Damnit, I have a lot of faith in El Duque in big games, but what does that mean with this offense? Garland pitched a good game tonight and had zero chance of winning it, so Duque gives up 2 runs tomorrrow, odds are won't be enough to get the team a W

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
the sheer fact that this team was 74-40 when pods was in the lineup or whatever nad 0-5 since or whatever other numbers you wanna throw out at me is fine. this is what i mean when i say the fans overrate podesdnik. he sure is a catalyst for our offense. unquestionably. but what people tend to forget is when we had the big boppers, remember when our pitching staff was 10th in teh AL. we are now tops, or damn near close to it. yes podsednik is a big part of our O. but think of it like this in terms of basketball, since its easier to quantify than baseball..........

a team of five scores 100 points, each scoring 20 points. they win alot 100-95. but one of the five gets injured, and hte back up only scores 10 a game. now you lose 95-90. so yes, hes important, but is he the only reason the team kept winning 100-95? no, the contributions of the others are equally important. i hate to have to explain it like that, but to be honest thats really the only way i can say what i understnad in my own head. at any rate i love podsednik and that trade with mil. was incredible for us, because it also got us AJ and Tad. i just feel fans have a tendancy to give him sole credit for being 34 games over before he left, when the improved pitching staff deserves more credit IMO

sorry for the lengthy post

I agree with parts of that. Pods dosent affect the pitching staff that is half the reason we are this good. But pods got on base alot making people swing for the basehit. With him gone most player are coming up with the bases empty so im guessing they just guess well ill hit the homer and boost my stats had pods been on bat thye would be swinging for the basehit. If this team would just switch out of the homerun mentalitly everything would be fine.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Look at their career numbers, and you could have never expected this type of season from all of them.  Of course, Rowand and especially Uribe have put up disappointing seasons this year.

a good question to write to jayson stark and his useless info column would be when the last time a team was 29 games over .500 with a 10 game lead in division and had 0 players on the team batting over .280