Sox v. Yanks 8/19/05 Official Game Thread

bjm676

Your standards seem a little low to me. Monster year for Iguchi? He's been very solid, but monster year? No.

I meant at the time, fathom. When Oz made the MVP comment and Iggy was hitting the deep ball as well as hitting what 290 or so at the time?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
The thing that is driving me crazy now is how KW and Ozzie stressed that Frank was going to be the midseason addition the sox needed, and they were right, he did help the offense, but now he's f***ing gone!! 

Hello!?!?!? Did you forget about Geoff Blum already?? Sheesh.

Great sig btw.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Look at their career numbers, and you could have never expected this type of season from all of them.  Of course, Rowand and especially Uribe have put up disappointing seasons this year.

I understand your point but look at mine, in order to improve as a team some people had to step it up, thats what made us so good and made the Twins good in 02. Guys stepping it up has a lot to do with it than saying "oh it was luck."

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
I think Twins and Indians only play 3 more times this season.  The Indians schedule is ridiculously easy.

damn, well the D-Rays have been playing well since the break, so hopefully they can continue.... looks like those 6 games against the Tribe the Sox have left may be big (although I think, as an earlier poster pointed out in a different thread, the Indians do play a version of Corpse ball as well and can go in funks against bad teams....I hope)

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
I agree with parts of that. Pods dosent affect the pitching staff that is half the reason we are this good. But pods got on base alot making people swing for the basehit. With him gone most player are coming up with the bases empty so im guessing they just guess well ill hit the homer and boost my stats had pods been on bat thye would be swinging for the basehit. If this team would just switch out of the homerun mentalitly everything would be fine.

i agree 100% that he changes the dynamics of our O and may help to get people better pitches to hit. i just think its foolish for others (not you) to say that him being out is the only reason that we were 74-30 and are now 0-5

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
Your standards seem a little low to me. Monster year for Iguchi? He's been very solid, but monster year? No.

I meant at the time, fathom. When Oz made the MVP comment and Iggy was hitting the deep ball as well as hitting what 290 or so at the time?

I understand what you mean, but I don't think anyone really thinks of Iguchi as this team's MVP. PK has stepped up lately, that's it. We need a few guys to get the stick out of their ass, and make big contributions on the field.

Here's how I'm gonna look at it: The next month and a half will either be the most tragic collapse in baseball history or the most ecstatic moment celebrating the clincher and the amazing season. Either way it'll be pretty damn exciting, and I'll probably have a heart attack, but there's nothing I can do about it. The only thing I can do is hope for the best.

When everyone's back in the lineup, and everyone's healthy, the offense will inevitably click, and they'll all be in the zone. AJ, Pods, Iguchi, Everett, Konerko, Dye, and even Crede are all amazing when they're at their best, and if they all clicked at once, we'd be seeing more long winning streaks to end the season.

Edited by SouthSidePride05

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
I understand your point but look at mine, in order to improve as a team some people had to step it up, thats what made us so good and made the Twins good in 02. Guys stepping it up has a lot to do with it than saying "oh it was luck."

And we need some players to pick it up right now. We can't keep putting a lineup on the field with 4 or 5 guys in a massive slump, and think we're going to win.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Here's how I'm gonna look at it:  The next month and a half will either be the most tragic collapse in baseball history or the most ecstatic moment celebrating the clincher and the amazing season.  Either way it'll exciting, and I'll probably have a heart attack, but there's nothing I can do about it.  The only thing I can do is hope for the best.

When everyone's back in the lineup, and everyone's healthy, the offense will inevitably click, and they'll all be in the zone.  AJ, Pods, Iguchi, Everett, Konerko, Dye, and even Crede are all amazing when they're at their best, and if they all clicked at once, we'd be seeing more long winning streaks to end the season.

when have they all clicked at once this year? that was the thing hawk used to say about even our old O. "this team hasnt even clicked at once yet, and were still scoring tons of runs" but...did they ever click at once? no. things dont work out that well. and when they do you go on 20 game winning streaks like oakland did a few years ago (thats with combined pitching clicking). at any rate whats frustrating is this O is built "to score on a more consistent basis" and we shouldnt have to wait for them to click at once.

separately crede and uribe havent clicked all year. and really neither has rowand. so im not completely sold on the fact that any of them will....seing how its nearly sept.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Great sig btw.

Thanks, big props to Steve for that... I just posted a request and he came through with that awesome piece of work!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I've had to mute the Hawk the last few games. This offense needs to be "ridden hard and put away wet" and he's slobing the knobs of average pitchers instead.

This lineup is pathetic now, I want to see Borchard or Gload called up ASAP, they cannot do any worse and might add a spark.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
And we need some players to pick it up right now.  We can't keep putting a lineup on the field with 4 or 5 guys in a massive slump, and think we're going to win.

We need a lot of players to pick it up right now, it makes me even more mad when you think all those runs we scored on Boston and our pitching was bad but now our pitching has been doing ok and now we can't f***ing hit.

Dye hasnt been the same since the wittle spider bit him and took his mojo.

Maybe we can have Austin Powers go back in time to get it.

Maybe the twins or injuns put the spider in Dyes bed.

I GOT YOUR FREAKIN MOJO DYE, MY SUPER SPIDER SUCKED ALL THE HITS OUT OF YOUR BAT.

15B%20Dr.Evil.jpg

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
We need a lot of players to pick it up right now, it makes me even more mad when you think all those runs we scored on Boston and our pitching was bad but now our pitching has been doing ok and now we can't f***ing hit.

The Sox have played 4 games against NY this year and I think they have given up 8 runs... that is extremely good, and only a 2-2 record to show for it...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:54 AM)
Hawk > Tim McCarver

Normally, that is true. But Hawk has become like a senile grandma right now who only cheers for her kid (even though she's naive to the fact that maybe he's not the best player), and blames the umpire for every close call that doesn't go their way.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
Normally, that is true.  But Hawk has become like a senile grandma right now who only cheers for her kid (even though she's naive to the fact that maybe he's not the best player), and blames the umpire for every close call that doesn't go their way.

Amen. I find it painful to listen to him these days.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
I know we had about a 5% chance of getting him and it wouldn't help our hitting but damn AJ Burnett is on fire!  7 straight wins.  Another shutout tonight against the Dodgers with 9Ks and 1 BB.

Would have been much higher than 5% if willing to eat some of that Lowell contract, but the team is only going to smash the record for sellouts in a season, so you know that whole JR thing about increased attendance equals increased payroll is so right on.

Has Hawk started "this losing streak and letting Cleveland and the Minnesota closer into the race is exactly what this team needs, now they won't be stagnant going into the playoffs." That has to be coming soon.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
Normally, that is true.  But Hawk has become like a senile grandma right now who only cheers for her kid (even though she's naive to the fact that maybe he's not the best player), and blames the umpire for every close call that doesn't go their way.

I have noticed this and my respect for hawk is slowly droping he is in love with this team to much.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Amen.  I find it painful to listen to him these days.

The most painful is when he was comparing the boston offensive players and how he would basically take every hitter on our team over their except for ortiz and manny.

Their worst hitter would be our superstar.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)

the worst thing about it all is that hawk sits there and still acts like this team is on a mission from god. he should or ozzie should call someone out here a good while before the postseason to light a fire under someones ass. i think the players got a little comftorable with their lead and alittle cocky.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
The Sox have played 4 games against NY this year and I think they have given up 8 runs... that is extremely good, and only a 2-2 record to show for it...

Oh no doubt about it, holdin NYY down like that is great.

I just kinda feel like if they score a lot of run when the pitching sucks and still don't f***ing win, why can't they score runs when the pitching is good. Their way off beat and need to straighten out. It will piss me off if Duque gets rocked tomorrow but we manage to score 10 runs and still f***ing lose.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
The most painful is when he was comparing the boston offensive players and how he would basically take every hitter on our team over their except for ortiz and manny. 

Their worst hitter would be our superstar.

:lolhitting

No he didn't?!? The man is on crack I'm telling you.