English essay I composed on The Big Hurt.

Bighurt52235

Now, be aware that this is not a "Beyond the Glory" style of biography. At all. It's simply an essay about someone who has changed the world, an assignment for my sophomore English class.

“The Big Hurt”

Frank Thomas

Frank Thomas has changed the face of Chicago White Sox baseball. He is the Franchise Player, which is saying a lot for an organization that had started in 1901. He is the White Sox all time leader in homeruns, RBI’s, extra-base hits, slugging avg., and on base percentage. He has also one two MVP awards. (whitesox.com) He also has done many things in the Chicago community.

Frank Edward Thomas was born May 27, 1968 in Columbus, Georgia. He has 3 children, Sterling, Sloan, and Sydney. He went to college at Auburn where he is the all time leader in HR’s with 49. He even played football there as a tight end and caught 3 passes for a nice total of 45 yards. He also made an appearance in the Tom Sellek film, “Mr. Baseball”, and a cameo appearance in an episode of “Married with Children”. (whitesox.com)

The Big Hurt was one of the most feared hitters of the 90’s. In that time, he was the only player in MLB history to have six consecutive seasons of .300+ batting avg., 20+ homeruns, 100+ RBI’s, 100+runs scored, and drawing over 100+ walks. He is, as of right now, the active career leader in on base percentage. In 1993 and 1994, he won the American League MVP award, the last player in the AL two win the hardware two consecutive times, twice leading his team to the top of the AL Central. (whitesox.com)

Frank has made accomplishments off the field as well. In 2000 he filmed a public service announcement regarding gun safety among youths. That year, he also had a 12- year old boy join him at a game at Comiskey Park as part of the Make-a-Wish-Foundation. In 1993, he established the Frank Thomas Charitable Foundation, designed to improve the lives of Chicago area residents. He donates $50,000 every year to the Leukemia Society of America in memory of his younger sister who died when Frank was 10. (whitesox.com)

Frank Thomas has had a fine career, which I believe will lead him into the Hall of Fame the first time his name is on the ballot. He has not only changed the lives of people in the game of baseball, but he has helped better the lives of the citizen’s of Chicago.

I revised your essay, they always say the more revisions the better

“The Big Hurt”

Frank Thomas

Frank Thomas has changed the face of Chicago White Sox baseball. He is the White Sox franchise player, which is quite an accomplishment considering that the organization was founded in 1901. He is the White Sox all time leader in homeruns, RBI’s, extra-base hits, slugging avg., and on base percentage. He has also one two MVP awards. (whitesox.com) Not to mention that Frank has also done many things in the Chicago community.

Frank Edward Thomas was born May 27, 1968 in Columbus, Georgia. He has 3 children, Sterling, Sloan, and Sydney. He went to college at Auburn where he is the home run record holder with 49. He even played football At Auburn as a tight end, and caught 3 passes for a nice total of 45 yards. Thomas's fame earned him an appearance in the Tom Sellek film, “Mr. Baseball”, and a cameo appearance in an episode of “Married with Children”. (whitesox.com)

The Big Hurt was one of the most feared hitters of the 90’s. During that decade, Frank became the only player in MLB history to have six consecutive seasons of .300+ batting avg., 20+ homeruns, 100+ RBI’s, 100+ runs scored, and drawing 100+ walks. As of now, Thomas is the active career leader in on base percentage. In 1993 and 1994, Frank won the American League MVP award. No player since has won back to back AL MVP awards. In 1993 Thomas lead the White Sox to a Western Division title, as well as central division titles in 1994 and again in 2000.(whitesox.com)

Frank has made accomplishments off the field as well. In 2000 he filmed a public service announcement regarding gun safety among youths. That year, he also had a 12- year old boy join him at a game at Comiskey Park as part of the Make-a-Wish-Foundation. In 1993, he established the Frank Thomas Charitable Foundation, designed to improve the lives of Chicago area residents. He donates $50,000 every year to the Leukemia Society of America in memory of his younger sister who died when Frank was 10. (whitesox.com)

Frank Thomas has had a fine career, which I believe will make him a first ballot hall of famer. Thomas has not only changed the lives of people in the game of baseball, but he has helped better the lives of the citizen’s of Chicago.

Also, didn't Bonds win two consecutive or am I mistaken? I know he won it two years ago, and I think he won it again last year.

I was thinking that too, so I changed it to AL MVP award to be safe

I think Jeff Kent won (one) it two years ago and Barry had two other MVP's years ago.

I hope your teacher is not a Cub fan.

If I wrote that essay Id hope my teacher was a Cubs fan too. Then Id get to rub his greatness, on and off the field, right in his face!

During my freshman year (Im now a sophomore) I wrote an essay about the Redskins (who started the season 0-5) and my teacher was a Redskins fan. In it all I talked about was how Schottenheimer needed to be fired and how much the team sucked. I actually got a pretty good grade because the whole process of writing an essay for this guy takes several weeks and by the time it was all said and done, the Redskins were back near .500. But I made one factual error, something minor and he busted me for it... :lol:

Barry Bonds has WON (got it right that time) the past two MVP awards. But if you'll notice I did say that Frank won the last 2 "AL" MVP awards.

Also, my teacher is not a Cubs fan. In fact, I don't know one in Oregon who is. She didn't know who Frank was. :angry:

Speaking of that, when I was in the library researching, the stupid old librarian assistant (female) asked me who my favorite all-time baseball player is. (She asked because I was wearing the 2000 AL Central Champion shirt) I said, " 'Big Hurt' Frank Thomas". She goes, "what era did he play in?" I looked at her angrily, "NOW", I said. She looks at my shirt, "and he plays for the White Sox?" I nodded, while rolling my eyes. "Oh, that's sad", she says. :fyou, stupid librarian lady.