8/20 Games

DBAHO

Charlotte lost 7-2 to Durham. Munoz picked up the loss giving up 3ER in 4IP with 2K's and 5BB's. Borch 0 for 4 with 3 K's. Gload 2 for 4, he's hitting .369 now.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...=g_box&did=milb

B-Ham lost 6-3 in game 1 of a doubleheader. Not good for Honel, gave up 6ER in the 1st inning. He only pitched another inning. Owens 1 for 3 with a double, Young 0 for 3 with 2K's.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...biraax_mobaax_1

B-Ham won 11-1 in game 2. Jerry Owens homered for only his 2nd of the year. He was 3 for 5 BTW. Chris Young 2 for 4 with a BB. Nik Lubisch picked up the win giving up 1ER in 5IP.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...biraax_mobaax_2

Winston - Salem lost 3-2 to Salem. Whisler started, gave up 10 hits in 5.1IP, 3ER, 3BB's and 3K's. 2 hits for Nanita, Valido with another 0 for day, he's been struggling lately.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...wswafx_salafx_1

Kanny won 8-7 in extra innings. Torres started gave up 3ER in 4IP. Getz 1 for 5 with a walk. Big games for Cook and Gonzales.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?ac...st&CODE=00&f=18

Bristol won 12-3. Sanchez 2 for 3 with a BB and a double in the #8 spot. Cunnigham 2 for 3 with a homer, he's ready for Kanny. Rice picked up the win going 6IP giving up 1ER.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...prirok_brirok_1

Great Falls won 8-4. Hernandez 1 for 4 with 2RBI's. Rodriguez started, 6IP, 3ER, 1BB and 7K's.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...orerok_grfrok_1

what has been great to see lately is the amount chris young has been walking. his walk rate has been real good, 60 in 405 ABs. what gets me so excited about young is that last year he was thought of as a tools player, quick bat, great speed, would develop great power once he grew into the frame. well lookin at his numbers, .916 OPS, with 60 extra base hits and 60 walks in what would normally be 2/3 of a year in the bigs is damn good from a stats perspective as well. seems like so many of our offensive prospects have been "tools" guys , and didnt have the peripherals that suggest that they would make it big. nice to see young is a great combination of both worlds......only knock is his strike outs, but asssuming his increased walk rate is no fluke, increasing walks is the first sign that strike outs will begin to come down

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
what has been great to see lately is the amount chris young has been walking. his walk rate has been real good, 60 in 405 ABs. what gets me so excited about young is that last year he was thought of as a tools player, quick bat, great speed, would develop great power once he grew into the frame. well lookin at his numbers, .916 OPS, with 60 extra base hits and 60 walks in what would normally be 2/3 of a year in the bigs is damn good from a stats perspective as well. seems like so many of our offensive prospects have been "tools" guys , and didnt have the peripherals that suggest that they would make it big. nice to see young is a great combination of both worlds......only knock is his strike outs, but asssuming his increased walk rate is no fluke, increasing walks is the first sign that strike outs will begin to come down

The walks were there last year. In reality, it is his strikeout rate that is down this year more than an increased walk rate.

His walk rate right now it one walk in every 6.75A AB. Last year it as one in every 7:04 AB, so there is a slight increase, ut that would only equate to 2-3 more walks this season than 2004.

His strikeout rate however is now one K per every 3.55 AB where last year it was one K per every 3.2. That equates to 15 less strikeouts.

Neither number is a huge improvement, but it tells me he is at least headed in the right direction, but holding his walk rate and cutting down his strikeouts, while maintaining or exceeding production levels.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
The walks were there last year.  In reality, it is his strikeout rate that is down this year more than an increased walk rate. 

His walk rate right now it one walk in every 6.75A AB.  Last year it as one in every 7:04 AB, so there is a slight increase, ut that would only equate to 2-3 more walks this season than 2004.

His strikeout rate however is now one K per every 3.55 AB where last year it was one K per every 3.2.  That equates to 15 less strikeouts. 

Neither number is a huge improvement, but it tells me he is at least headed in the right direction, but holding his walk rate and cutting down his strikeouts, while maintaining or exceeding production levels.

Well it isnt a huge difference but than again last year he was going against Low A pitching and this year vs AA which makes that difference even more important.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)

I'm only going off observational opinion, but hasn't Young's K/AB rate really been steadily improving over the course of the season?

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
I'm only going off observational opinion, but hasn't Young's K/AB rate really been steadily improving over the course of the season?

It's posted in the Adopt a Prospect section, but that's pretty much the case...

He struck out at a higher rate in July, but that was when he had the side issue.

What he's really done is drop the strikeout rate from those first two months. Since then he has a K/BB ratio of about 3/2.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)

That is my off the top of my head impression as well. He started a little slow in that regard, hence part of the reason why he was hitting in the .230's around the beginning of June. But aside from doubles you could say that most of his production has steadily improved of the course of the season.