Paul O'Neill's comments

The Ginger Kid

Watching the YES feed of the game today, Paul O'Neill and Michael Kay were discussing the Twins sweep earlier in the week, and O'Neill remarked that often when that happens to a good team they return the favor the following week.

O'Neill is also a huge fan of Konerko's swing and talked about how, when he was with the yankees, he used to see Kong spending hours in the cage working before a game.

Paul O'Neill....YES.

:drink

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
My favorite Yankee, along with el Duque and Brosius, from those late 90's teams.

I always thought Paul O'Neill was too whiny and cussy... :huh

But I never liked the Yankees as I have woefully fallen into the "hate them because they win too much" category. :banghead

But if I were to pick my favorite Yankee while I walked the Earth, it would certainly be.............................................................................................Luis Sojo

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
Paul O'Neil is a player that the current yankees should look at as why they were winning titles.

I will agree with that...the new go out and buy a title yankee teams cannot and do not compare with the teams of the 90's that had a championship swagger about them from game one of the season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 03:54 AM)
I cannot comprehend a scenario where I'd even consider uttering this phrase.

Common YAS, you remember I'm really a Yankee from up nort' You are my favorite Reb :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
Paul O'Neil is a player that the current yankees should look at as why they were winning titles.

He was on the field during BP on Friday and had nothing but nice things to say about the Sox. Nice to hear someone of his talent thinking we can make it out of round 1.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
He was on the field during BP on Friday and had nothing but nice things to say about the Sox. Nice to hear someone of his talent thinking we can make it out of round 1.

Steff, did you post anywhere about the BP experience...mine got cancelled, but is rescheduled for Sept 6th. Any info on it would be cool.

A fan asks for 20K for Posadas 1000 hit.

Extra bases

A fan demanded $20,000 for the ball Jorge Posada hit Saturday for a ground-rule double, his 1,000th career hit. Posada and the Yankees offered the fan a choice of other items but refused the cash demand. Posada said he would set aside the bat as a keepsake ...

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)

Those yankee teams that were winning titles had a couple of guys that developed together in the minor leagues. All were class acts and all had large hearts. This is why they won titles, not their enormous payroll. Some day Steinbrenner will realize that.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Steff, did you post anywhere about the BP experience...mine got cancelled, but is rescheduled for Sept 6th.  Any info on it would be cool.

I didn't yet, but I will in a bit. For some reason I have work to do at work today.. :lol:

"I got a lot of confidence about this road trip," Guillen said of a trip that starts Tuesday with a three-game set against the Twins. "I don't know why, but I have a great feeling about it. I think we compete real good on the road. There's something in the back of the mind that says we're going to have a good road trip."

:headbang

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
I have to admit.  I enjoyed watching the Yankees from 96-2000.  They were an actual team then.

entirely different from what they are now. They should take the emergence of Cano as a sign that buying high-priced free agents is not the best way to build a team.