Organ Donors

Kid Gleason

Are you an organ donor?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an organ donor?

• Yes
    • No
    • Still undecided as I am too young to really think that indepth about my own mortality.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
I am.

Hey, is anyone here one of those conspiracy theorist potheads that thinks doctors let you die instead of working on you if they want your organs for someone else?

I had never heard of that one before! It's pretty wacky. I do believe that there is a bit of a reshuffle that can happen on the waiting lists though, if the person has "connections", and it happens without the recipient knowing it is happening.

I'm curious to know why somebody wouldn't be. I actually knew a guy who wasn't one due to being afraind he might need his parts in the afterlife.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
I am, but Brian isn't currently.  His sister has told him too many tales (she is a Chicago Paramedic).  I am working on him though - he is just about to sign his license.

Why on earth would a paramedic tell anybody stories that would keep them from donating? Is she against it?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Why on earth would a paramedic tell anybody stories that would keep them from donating? Is she against it?

I think she told him that just to get him going, no other reason (typical sibling stuff).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
I am.

Hey, is anyone here one of those conspiracy theorist potheads that thinks doctors let you die instead of working on you if they want your organs for someone else?

:Raises Hand: FYI, I have never smoked anything in my life....

Other than that, I am very excited because I get my liscense this saturday (my birthday).... whoot! :headbang

20 Nov 1994  David Crosby receives a liver transplant at Dumont-UCLA Liver Transplant Center in Los Angeles. Crosby's liver was deteriorated from extensive alcohol and drug abuse, as well as hepatitis-C. But he only had to wait 18 days for the transplant, whereas the average wait in 1994 was 142 days.

10 Jan 2000  Lesbian singer Melissa Etheridge announces that David Crosby is the sperm donor of her two children with girlfriend Julie Cypher. Etheridge and Cypher are now separated.

Mantle's physician had to keep in mind that the family was part of the audience, too. So in his first statements to the press, the doctor was conservative about how long it might take to get an organ.

He said the average wait could be one month. Then, the next day, there was the news that Mantle had received a liver.

Friday evening, Sunday in the afternoon. What have you got to lose?

Tuesday morning, please be gone I'm tired of you.

What have you got to lose?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
'kay...we have three of you who voted "no". Let's have your reasons. Be brave. I have always wondered why on earth somebody would NOT be a donor, if not for medical reasons of some sort. Not looking for a "fight", but I am after a discussion.

MAN: Hello. Uhh, can we have your liver?

MR. BROWN: My what?

MAN: Your liver. It's a large, ehh, glandular organ in your abdomen.

ERIC:[sniff]

MAN: You know, it's, uh,-- it's reddish-brown. It's sort of, uhh,--

MR. BROWN: Yeah,-- y-- y-- yeah, I know what it is, but... I'm using it, eh.

ERIC: Come on, sir.

MR. BROWN: Hey! Hey! Stop!

ERIC: Don't muck us about.

MR. BROWN: Stop! Hey! Hey! Stop it. Hey!

MAN: Hallo.

MR. BROWN: Ge-- get off.

MAN: What's this, then? Mmh.

MR. BROWN: A liver donor's card.

MAN: Need we say more?

ERIC: No!

MR. BROWN: Listen! I can't give it to you now. It says, 'in the event of death'. Uh. Oh! Ah. Ah. Eh.

MAN: No one who has ever had their liver taken out by us has survived.

MR. BROWN: Agh.

ERIC: Just lie there, sir. It won't take a minute.

MR. BROWN: [screaming]

MAN: Zip it up.

MRS. BROWN: 'Ere. What's going on?

MAN: Uh, he's donating his liver, madam.

MRS. BROWN: Is this because he took out one of those silly cards?

MAN: That's right, madam.

MRS. BROWN: Typical of him!

Some religions have taught that organ donation is a bad thing, but most have changed their official stance. For example, there is an attitude against organ donation in some Hispanic Catholics. The Church down here has held many donor awareness programs to help combat that belief.

http://www.txorgansharing.org/RELIGIOUS_VIEWS.htm