Our best pitcher right now is Contreras

atrain081

Contreras has posted an ERA around two his last five starts. I know we picked up Duque for the playoffs, but Contreras' performance of late is hard to ignore. I'm not saying that Contreras should or shouldn't be in the rotation, but I am just trying to see what you guys think.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(atrain081 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Contreras has posted an ERA around two his last five starts.  I know we picked up Duque for the playoffs, but Contreras' performance of late is hard to ignore.  I'm not saying that Contreras should or shouldn't be in the rotation, but I am just trying to see what you guys think.

I rank him as our 4th best starter...so if they use 4 starters, I am down. I just can't see El Pukee in the playoffs, period. Don't like him a bit.

I think he is starting to really turn around. His whole approach to hitters is that of confidence. If you look at his performances of late compared to when we first got him it is night and day. His pitch sequence, his arm slot, even his mechanics are completely different. His fastball has more movement on it and he can throw it in any count. He has started to pitch and not just throw. i think he can turn the corner and be the top of the rotation guy everyone thought he could be. Of course I could be wrong...

I was thinking about this after yesterday's game.

I'm pretty sure just about everyone was set on

mark-jon-freddy, as the main rotation. But w/ contreras being absolutely stellar lately, we're going to have to see.

RIght now, i'd have to go w/ a

jon-mark-jose, rotation. I think that would give us the best chance at a win.

But like tony said, things can change in a month, let alone a week.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
If the trend continues, Mark might not even make the rotation.  He's been getting hit hard and has not had a solid outing in a while.  I'm sure he will turn it around but you never know.

Was that meant to be in green? Some things I have read on this board lately are laughable.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
If the trend continues, Mark might not even make the rotation.  He's been getting hit hard and has not had a solid outing in a while.  I'm sure he will turn it around but you never know.

To a certain extent, this isn't a terrible post. Mark has been rocked for a while now. His ERA is around 5 over his last handful of outings. While Mark would probably make the rotation without his arms, he has been worse as the season wears on, just as he was last year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Lets give it a few more games before we send the ALL STAR GAME STARTING PITCHER to the trash heap.

Mark Buerhle is our best pitcher. He's just in a funk right now. I would have full confidence in him against any opponent, even Boston and Oakland.

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
:stupid  :stupid

I nominate this for worst post of the year

WOW u must be smoking some good s***

What games have you been watching? When was the last time Mark dominated a game like an ace is supposed to? Didn't I say 'if this trend continues'? Lets face it, Mark hasn't been all that good lately.

You better check what you're smoking little man.

I'll nominate you worst member of Soxtalk.

Edited by BigSqwert

I guess I'm the only old time cynical, always think the worse Sox fan around here, but why are you guys discussing playoff rotations? We have been playing pretty bad lately, and a playoff spot is not locked up. Our lead is 8 and a half, we've lost every series at home since the all-star break, except for Seattle, and even yesterday we won with home runs not smart situational hitting, or being able to score in multiple innings. Thank God the losing streak is over but can we beat the Twins 2 out of 3 this week? That's what we need to get back to doing, winning series, before I'll be convinced we can win the division. Don't forget the sorry ass Cubs had a 9 and a half game lead at the beginning of September in '69. All of Chicago was convinced they we're a sure bet to win the National League, and they blew it. It wasn't a curse, they folded under pressure. I hope we don't do the same. Hold off on playoff match ups for awhile.

to me the starting rotation should be the 3 guys with the hottest hand at the time. For example if Freddy dominates his last 4 starts- then go with him. If Contreras continues to pitch like this- then Ozzie just might consider throwing him in there. But then who goes to the bulpen in the first round? Garland, Buerhle? I doubt that.

As of right now i see a Garland, Buerhle, Garcia rotation w/ el-duque and contreras coming out of the pen in the divisional round.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
What games have you been watching?  When was the last time Mark dominated a game like an ace is supposed to?  Didn't I say 'if this trend continues'? Lets face it, Mark hasn't been all that good lately.

You better check what you're smoking little man.

I'll nominate you worst member of Soxtalk.

MB-13-6 3.07

FG- 11-5 3.65

JG- 16-7 3.43

JC- 8-7 4.08

OH- 8-6 4.75

How do those numbers make you not want mark in the playoff rotation?

:headshake

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
MB-13-6 3.07

FG- 11-5 3.65

JG- 16-7 3.43

JC- 8-7 4.08

OH- 8-6 4.75

How do those numbers make you not want mark in the playoff rotation?

Perhaps you should actually read my post before commenting. Please show me where I said that I didn't want Mark in the playoff rotation.