Career Tossup

Tadahito15

I am at the point in my high school career where I begin to apply to various colleges. However, I am not yet sure just what exactly I want to do. I have one of three options as I see it. I can either go into A. Engineering school, B. Med school, or C. Find a school that has a good sports management program (Miami, FL?). My head says I should go into engineering or med school because of my high school success(A's in honors math and science courses). My heart says I should go into sports management because that is my greatest passion of the three. I know that I would personally be happiest getting a job in sports management, but I am not sure how the job outlook is for that. Another problem is finding a good school somewhat close to the midwest that has a good sports management program if that is what I choose to do. So, my question is, just how important is it to really enjoy what you do for a living down the road? Also, any advice on any career decisions/information(good colleges for eng/med/sports management) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice/info. :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll probably change your major a couple times before you settle on something you like--so it's kind of a crapshoot. Seriously, just go to school with good overall academics and make sure you like the campus and people.

On the Sports Management thing, I heard Ohio University had a decent one, dunno if that's true or not. A lot of the big schools have those programs though.

Also, just passing along some advice I heard in regards to sports management: Major in business instead, and minor in something that will angle you toward where you want to go. This way, you'll have a few more options with that degree. Not saying you should do that, just saying it's what I heard.

Always go with the head. Oh, wait, that's not what you're talking about. Nevermind then...

Honestly and seriously though...go with your heart IMO. Think about it long-term. Who in their right god-damn minds wants to wake up and think "MOTHERf***ER! I GOTTA GO TO WORK TODAY! AHH!" You should always do thinkgs in life that you enjoy IMO. Go for the sport's management but remember, in the end, it is all up to you. Do what you love and enjoy it and savor it because you never know what the future holds...good luck buddy.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)
Always go with the head. Oh, wait, that's not what you're talking about. Nevermind then...

Honestly and seriously though...go with your heart IMO. Think about it long-term. Who in their right god-damn minds wants to wake up and think "MOTHERf***ER! I GOTTA GO TO WORK TODAY! AHH!" You should always do thinkgs in life that you enjoy IMO. Go for the sport's management but remember, in the end, it is all up to you. Do what you love and enjoy it and savor it because you never know what the future holds...good luck buddy.

No offense, but how old are you again? And you're telling people what to do in life?

Hmmmmm.

Although, your premise is mostly right.

Here's the thing. When you are in college, you will start to make financial choices. MAKE THOSE CHOICES BASED ON THE LIFESTYLE YOU WANT OR CAN AFFORD when you get out.

For example, if you borrow a lot to get through school, sports management unless you get really lucky and get hooked up through an internship or get a contact while in school might not pay the bills. Whereas if you work your way through school with some hard work and have little debt and don't get some hot chick pregnant or something (in other words few responsibilities - and YES drive that clunker, forget the new car right out of school) you are a little more flexible to pursue your dreams.

I hope that makes sense. Bottom line, life is about choices. Be smart, and dream big.

Honestly, from my experience so far.

If your interested in sports management, get a degree in business administration, something along those lines. Then that will open up doors for you.

But like others have said, your going to change your mind on things all the way through HS, all the way through college.

When i came into U of I, i was a CS major, after a few classes, i decided it wasn't for me, even though i thought that's what i wanted for years. So now i'm in the business track, getting a practical degree and work my way up.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
No offense, but how old are you again?  And you're telling people what to do in life?

Hmmmmm.

Here's the thing.  When you are in college, you will start to make financial choices.  MAKE THOSE CHOICES BASED ON THE LIFESTYLE YOU WANT OR CAN AFFORD when you get out.

For example, if you borrow a lot to get through school, sports management unless you get really lucky and get hooked up through an internship or get a contact while in school might not pay the bills.  Whereas if you work your way through school with some hard work and have little debt and don't get some hot chick pregnant or something (in other words few responsibilities - and YES drive that clunker, forget the new car right out of school) you are a little more flexible to pursue your dreams. 

I hope that makes sense.  Bottom line, life is about choices.  Be smart, and dream big.

What are you saying, you don't wanna take career advice from a 15 year old? Well that's just silly.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
No offense, but how old are you again?  And you're telling people what to do in life?

Hmmmmm.

Here's the thing.  When you are in college, you will start to make financial choices.  MAKE THOSE CHOICES BASED ON THE LIFESTYLE YOU WANT OR CAN AFFORD when you get out.

For example, if you borrow a lot to get through school, sports management unless you get really lucky and get hooked up through an internship or get a contact while in school might not pay the bills.  Whereas if you work your way through school with some hard work and have little debt and don't get some hot chick pregnant or something (in other words few responsibilities - and YES drive that clunker, forget the new car right out of school) you are a little more flexible to pursue your dreams. 

I hope that makes sense.  Bottom line, life is about choices.  Be smart, and dream big.

Oh my god. If I hear one more thing about how f***ing young I am I am going to hang myself. Seriosuly, I am going through the same s*** he is. Can you please get off my back about my age already. I am 15 and I will be 16 this Saturday. 5 days away. I will be a junior in high school this coming year and I will be taking my ACT's and SAT's and I will be applying to colleges and I HAVE been talking to colleges such as Grand Valley State, Rutgers, UMinn, So. Miss, and a number of other schools about accepting me into their college and talking them about the major that I have chosen. Yes, I have already chosen my major. Wow. Holy s***. He chose his major. But wait, I am like 7 years old right? How have I already chosen my major. I have. It's Broadcast Journalism and Communication. Are you happy? I hope that answers your damn question! Besides, I never told him what to do. Did you read the post? Did you skip the "in the end, it is all up to you" part!?!?!?

:End of Rant:

Now, Tadahito15, sorry for high-jacking the thread a bit, but like I said, do what your heart says and do what you will enjoy...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
Oh my god. If I hear one more thing about how f***ing young I am I am going to hang myself. Seriosuly, I am going through the same s*** he is. Can you please get off my back about my age already. I am 15 and I will be 16 this Saturday. 5 days away. I will be a junior in high school this coming year and I will be taking my ACT's and SAT's and I will be applying to colleges and I HAVE been talking to colleges such as Grand Valley State, Rutgers, UMinn, So. Miss, and a number of other schools about accepting me into their college and talking them about the major that I have chosen. Yes, I have already chosen my major. Wow. Holy s***. He chose his major. But wait, I am like 7 years old right? How have I already chosen my major. I have. It's Broadcast Journalism and Communication. Are you happy? I hope that answers your damn question! Besides, I never told him what to do. Did you read the post? Did you skip the "in the end, it is all up to you" part!?!?!?

Now, Tadahito15, sorry for high-jacking the thread a bit, but like I said, do what your heart says and do what you will enjoy...

kap is right.

all he's saying is that things change. Through your doing or not

Your interests change, things don't work out financially, academically.

Your in HS, don't be so focused on a career yet.

chillpill.jpg

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
chillpill.jpg

I can't dude. All this age s*** is bulls***. I'm f***ing tired of it. There are posters younger than me here...cough you cough....but when I give my opinion, I get badgered with "Shut the f*** up you 7 year old." AHHHHHHHHHHH! :fight :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 03:51 AM)

Your rant is misdirected. The point is you act like you know everything about everything, and then you have to qualify it by how many university letters you have. I'll leave you alone now, since you know it all anyway. I was originally just joking with you earlier hence the "although your premise is mostly right" line, but you read right over that.

I'm glad you have everything figured out; you're ahead of the rest of us old bastards around here, anyway. :headbang

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
I can't dude. All this age s*** is bulls***. I'm f***ing tired of it. There are posters younger than me here...cough you cough....but when I give my opinion, I get badgered with "Shut the f*** up you 7 year old." AHHHHHHHHHHH! :fight  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

Maybe if you didn't act like a little kid people wouldn't treat you like one

Sounds like a fun HS life. Damn, 15 years old and talking to colleges and worring about your Major, go out and have some fun.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
Your rant is misdirected.  The point is you act like you know everything about everything, and then you have to qualify it by how many university letters you have.   I'll leave you alone now, since you know it all anyway.  I was originally just joking with you earlier hence the "although your premise is mostly right" line, but you read right over that.

I'm glad you have everything figured out; you're ahead of the rest of us old bastards around here, anyway. :headbang

WHAT!?!?! :banghead :banghead :banghead :headshake :crying :headshake :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 03:59 AM)
WHAT!?!?! :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :headshake  :crying  :headshake  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

If you'd stop reacting to individual sentances out of context, maybe you'd stop having a heart attack every time you read one of my posts.

I like the 250,000 mg chill pill, that's pretty damn funny.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
Sounds like a fun HS life. Damn, 15 years old and talking to colleges and worring about your Major, go out and have some fun.

IMO, I'll have time for fun when I am out of school. My god-damn business as 16 year old is to worry about school, get my as an education, and not turn into a f***ing bum living in the streets, asking for change, and smoking and drinking by the age of 21. I am sorry if I have different views on life and different opinions than other but deal with it. How about instead of badgering someone who is trying to become something in life, give him props for how he is busting his ass while everyon is out smoking and drinking and and getting dumb b****es pregnant. I'm sorry. Call me a lame. Call me dumb. Call me whatever the f*** you want but don't f***ing disrespect me forbusting my ass!!!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
If you'd stop reacting to individual sentances out of context, maybe you'd stop having a heart attack every time you read one of my posts.

I like the 250,000 mg chill pill, that's pretty damn funny.

Well, that is your opinion. And I respect that last sentence you put in your post...unless your bulls***ting me.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
IMO, I'll have time for fun when I am out of school. My god-damn business as 16 year old is to worry about school, get my as an education, and not turn into a f***ing bum living in the streets, asking for change, and smoking and drinking by the age of 21. I am sorry if I have different views on life and different opinions than other but deal with it. How about instead of badgering someone who is trying to become something in life, give him props for how he is busting his ass while everyon is out smoking and drinking and and getting dumb b****es pregnant. I'm sorry. Call me a lame. Call me dumb. Call me whatever the f*** you want but don't f***ing disrespect me forbusting my ass!!!

relax, jesus.

the point everyone is making is, you don't know anything about career opportunites in high school, period.

Life throws curveballs, don't be so sure of yourself and say how your entire life is planned already and you have it all figured out.

High school is not serious, i'm sorry, it doesn't mean anything after you graduate, anything.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 04:04 AM)
Well, that is your opinion. And I respect that last sentence you put in your post...unless your bulls***ting me.

No. I seriously am glad that you have things figured out as to what you want to do. Some people go through life not knowing at all. It's a compliment. Just don't be afraid of the curveballs you're going to get thrown, because there will be some. You don't have it all figured out, no one does, from that sense.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
relax, jesus.

the point everyone is making is, you don't know anything about career opportunites in high school, period. 

Life throws curveballs, don't be so sure of yourself and say how your entire life is planned already and you have it all figured out.

High school is not serious, i'm sorry, it doesn't mean anything after you graduate, anything.

I respect this because you have experienced high school and part of college but I never said I have my whole life planned. I know for a fact that life throws you many curveballs. s***, just last month I found out my dad was cheating on my mom for 8 f***ing months but you don't see me complaingin and crying and b****ing about it. Hell no, I kicked his ass out and never looked back. IMO, I have a different look on life than everyone else and I feel I am shunned for it....f*** that.

God damn, I never thought a f***ing internet thread would bring me to f***ing tears...