Sox @ Minneapolis--Game 1--8/23/05

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
What was he supposed to do, pull a pitching-wedge out of his ass to hit it?  The ball hit a foot in front of the plate.

But damnit...  could've used a big hit there.  Tadahito with two of the bigger AB's so far in this game, and has failed.

I actually didn't see the pitch. Rather, I just saw the throw to 2nd base. Judging by the conversation on here, it sounded like a blown hit-and-run.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
I actually didn't see the pitch.  Rather, I just saw the throw to 2nd base.  Judging by the conversation on here, it sounded like a blown hit-and-run.

It was a blown hit-and-run.

But it really wasn't Iguchi's fault. The ball, like I said, hit about a foot in front of the plate. The last pitch, which he struck out on, however -- it was hittable, and he's had a chance to do some good here early on, and has failed twice.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
It was a blown hit-and-run.

But it really wasn't Iguchi's fault.  The ball, like I said, hit about a foot in front of the plate.  The last pitch, which he struck out on, however -- it was hittable, and he's had a chance to do some good here early on, and has failed twice.

Maybe it's time someone starts a thread saying Willie needs to get more playing time at 2nd base. Iguchi went on a tear after that thread last time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Maybe it's time someone starts a thread saying Willie needs to get more playing time at 2nd base.  Iguchi went on a tear after that thread last time.

Willie. He smokes like a chimney. I have no idea how he stays in such shape.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
He blew the hit-and-run.  Ozuna should have been out by 5 feet if the throw was good.

Ok. But this is Santana. Swinging and missing off of him is pretty normal. And I know Iguchi has had trouble lately with this scenario, but overall he has been very reliable in these situations. It's a long season. For all of the games that have been played this year, I think he has done fulfilled his hitting responsibilities as well as anyone on the team. And this from a guy that is facing Major League hitting for the first time. He isn't up there hitting 9th, where he can play see ball, hit ball - he has to take all kinds of pitches, hit where the infielders aren't, give himself up. I wouldn't dream of moving him in the order, or getting on his case.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
KW has a week to get another hitter. If he really wants a WS, he has to get at least one.

I was going to mention this in one of the many threads on this site dealing with this. When Ozzie and KW say they're comfortable with what we have, that's a problem to me. It just seems like we're a little complacent. Instead of just going with what we have in order to try and make a run in the playoffs, I like the attitude a lot more of adding on to what you have in order to be a better team. Oh well, there's no point of b****ing about it too much.