Timo found our slumpbuster...

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Sox slide-stopping ploy: 'Rally Panties'

Fred Mitchell

AROUND TOWN

Baseball lore is replete with instances of superstitious behavior bordering on the obsessive-compulsive.

Recent Hall of Fame inductee Wade Boggs used to eat chicken for every pregame meal. Pitcher Denny McLain insisted on drinking a can of Pepsi between each inning of each game he pitched. And Cubs shortstop Nomar Garciaparra … well … his every at-bat ritual of tugging at his batting gloves makes everyone watching feel a little twitchy and fidgety.

Former Cincinnati Reds shortstop Leo "Chico" Cardenas was terrified of seeing the letter "X." So opposing players naturally would scratch an "X" in the dirt near his position every chance they got. Cardenas would not go near the letter and would have teammates scratch it out or kick dirt on it.

This behavior came to mind Sunday, when White Sox outfielder Timo Perez went to unusual lengths to try to help the team end a season-worst seven-game losing streak.

Perez decided to hang a pair of women's black panties—"extra wide" black panties—in the Sox's clubhouse at U.S. Cellular Field. The Sox went out and ended their streak with a 6-2 victory over the Yankees.

Perez wasn't around to discuss the, well … unmentionables, but teammate Aaron Rowand did.

"We had the 'Rally Panties' up today," Rowand said. "A woman's undergarment—a large undergarment—was our rallying flag."

So while the Angels had their "Rally Monkey" in their 2002 World Series championship season, the innovative Sox offer up "Rally Panties." Whatever works, I suppose.

Rowand said he would have chosen a less titillating tactic to end the losing streak. "I almost changed the CD in my car on the way to the ballpark, but I decided not to," he said.