Pat Robertson calls for Chavez assasination

southsider2k5

The 700 Club reaches - by their (in my opinion) generous guess, about one million people.

If mainstream America consists of just one million people, well I'd be a bit surprised.

Let me put it to you this way, more people watch Pat Robertson guesting on Fox News (who called him a "has-been" this past week) than actually watch Pat Robertson.

This is getting boring. Suggesting that only 700 club viewers support Robertson is like suggesting only EWTN viewers are Catholic :rolly

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Einstein believed in God & his faith was intensified as he surmised the possibilities of quantum theory.

Einstein certainly did NOT believe in capital-G God, or any personal god, powerful sentient being, etc.

Newton believed in God & his faith was intensified as he surmised the possibilities of wave theory.

Newton lived in a completely different era. Newton lived in a time where not believe in god probably would have gotten you killed. He also wasted a great deal of his life looking for Bible codes and other such nonsense. Who knows what else he could have discovered/created during that time.

So you can be extremely progressive in terms of science & technology & retain your faith in God.

Yes, you can, but bad examples.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

What is interesting to me is Robertson makes that statement and no one goes into hiding. When Salman Rushdie was condemned to death by the former Iranian spiritual leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini on February 14,1989, after publishing Satanic Verses, he went into hiding for years.

When Bin Laden issues a declaration, people get nervous.

Name any wacko spiritual leader of fringe movements and we take their threats very seriously. I wonder if around the world, Pat's declaration is reported with the same Christian's are wacked sort of angle?

Christians are such whimps, no one willing to go all the way.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Einstein: "Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind."

Einstein: "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."

Since we are quoting Al.

I wonder where the outcry was when George Stephawhateverhisnameis called for the assassinaion of the leader of a country?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/8/24/122804.shtml

Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2005 12:23 p.m. EDT

Stephanopoulos Urged Foreign Assassination

Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson prompted a firestorm of media outrage on Tuesday after he suggested that the Bush administration should assassinate a foreign leader who posed a threat to the U.S. - in this case, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

But when senior Clinton advisor George Stephanopoulos publicly argued for the same kind of assassination policy in 1997, the press voiced no objection at all.

Fresh from his influential White House post, Stephanopoulos devoted an entire column in Newsweek to the topic of whether the U.S. should take out Saddam Hussein.

His headlined? "Why We Should Kill Saddam."

"Assassination may be Clinton's best option," the future "This Week" host urged. "If we can kill Saddam, we should."

Though Iraq war critics now argue that by 1997, the Iraqi dictator was "in a box" and posed no threat whatsoever to the U.S., Stephanopoulos contended that Saddam deserved swift and lethal justice.

"We've exhausted other efforts to stop him, and killing him certainly seems more proportionate to his crimes and discriminate in its effect than massive bombing raids that will inevitably kill innocent civilians," the diminutive former aide contended.

Stephanopoulos even offered a way to get around the presidential ban on foreign assassinations:

"If Clinton decides we can and should assassinate Saddam, he could call in national-security adviser Sandy Berger and sign a secret National Security Decision Directive authorizing it."

The Stephanopoulos plan: "First, we could offer to provide money and materiel to Iraqi exiles willing to lead an effort to overthrow Saddam. . . . The second option is a targeted airstrike against the homes or bunkers where Saddam is most likely to be hiding."

The one-time top Clinton aide said that, far from violating international principles, assassinating Saddam would be the moral thing to do, arguing, "What's unlawful - and unpopular with the allies - is not necessarily immoral."

Stephanopoulos also noted that killing Saddam could pay big political dividends at home, saying the mission would make Clinton "a huge winner if it succeeded."

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 03:07 AM)
I wonder where the outcry was when George Stephawhateverhisnameis called for the assassinaion of the leader of a country? 

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/8/24/122804.shtml

Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2005 12:23 p.m. EDT

Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson prompted a firestorm of media outrage on Tuesday after he suggested that the Bush administration should assassinate a foreign leader who posed a threat to the U.S. - in this case, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

But when senior Clinton advisor George Stephanopoulos publicly argued for the same kind of assassination policy in 1997, the press voiced no objection at all.

Fresh from his influential White House post, Stephanopoulos devoted an entire column in Newsweek to the topic of whether the U.S. should take out Saddam Hussein.

"Assassination may be Clinton's best option," the future "This Week" host urged. "If we can kill Saddam, we should."

Though Iraq war critics now argue that by 1997, the Iraqi dictator was "in a box" and posed no threat whatsoever to the U.S., Stephanopoulos contended that Saddam deserved swift and lethal justice.

"We've exhausted other efforts to stop him, and killing him certainly seems more proportionate to his crimes and discriminate in its effect than massive bombing raids that will inevitably kill innocent civilians," the diminutive former aide contended.

Stephanopoulos even offered a way to get around the presidential ban on foreign assassinations:

"If Clinton decides we can and should assassinate Saddam, he could call in national-security adviser Sandy Berger and sign a secret National Security Decision Directive authorizing it."

The Stephanopoulos plan: "First, we could offer to provide money and materiel to Iraqi exiles willing to lead an effort to overthrow Saddam. . . . The second option is a targeted airstrike against the homes or bunkers where Saddam is most likely to be hiding."

The one-time top Clinton aide said that, far from violating international principles, assassinating Saddam would be the moral thing to do, arguing, "What's unlawful - and unpopular with the allies - is not necessarily immoral."

Stephanopoulos also noted that killing Saddam could pay big political dividends at home, saying the mission would make Clinton "a huge winner if it succeeded."

do you not realize that pat robertson is a member of the christian coalition...i think thats basically why people are calling him out on it...i know thats why i thought it was ridiculous

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
do you not realize that pat robertson is a member of the christian coalition...i think thats basically why people are calling him out on it...i know thats why i thought it was ridiculous

do you not realize that a large portion of those doing the 'calling out' of Robertson equate the christian coalition with Bush and Republicans in general? THAT is why people are calling him out on that.

As far as Soxtalk being anti-religous.....post something regarding a religous group doing something like reaching out to people affected by the hurricane or trying to help people and so-such, and I really doubt people would pounce.

If Pat Robertson represents the mainstream, I'm beyond concerned.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/22/D8C595H80.html

Someone needs to shoot Robertson...  :rolly

:stupid. As are the people who posted in this thread not to comment on the quote but to basically attack his ministry & any one who stands up for Christianity.

A poster advocating that Robertson should be shot because of his remark is clearly not one standing up for Christianity.

Paraphrasing the Robertson quote:

If he (Chavez) thinks we are going to assasinate him then maybe we should go ahead & do it.

It was a very stupid thing for Robertson to say. It was very stupid for the 700 Club producers to not call him out on it in real-time & prep him before that days broadcast to help prevent such stupidity from going out over the air.

He should have said something like, "maybe he should step down or maybe we should try & remove him from office." But never should the head of a Christian ministry advocate assasinating someone.

That being said he is guilty of a stupid moment. We all are at times.

The main has done far MORE GOOD in this world then he has said stupid things. Cut him some slack. I think it was greivous enough to where the 700 Club producers should ask him to apologize on the air (if he hasn't done so already) & suspend him for a while.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Somewhat relevant

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
A poster advocating that Robertson should be shot because of his remark is clearly not one standing up for Christianity.

I thought it was pretty clear that he was making a joke of the assassination remark.... :huh

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Hence the  :rolly  smilie.

But I guess I should be a little more obvious with a joke, so that the ONE PERSON who didn't get it, gets it.

I feel your pain Mike... ;)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
That's a good lyric.  :cheers

I’m gonna say it now, should have a long time ago

It’s what we’re all about; we can’t pretend we don’t know

It’s something that we rarely speak about, it isn’t God, but the god that we have given our love and our love is wasted because…

Your honor, Your Glory, Your Kingdom are the only things that matter really

We rarely live for what’s eternal; those are the only things that matter at all

You could take the lamp away; you’ve got the power and the right

Our anorexic faith makes for an unworthy bride; we’ve made a lover of anything that loves us; we’re still trying to find a way to strike it rich and follow Jesus and it’s crazy because…

If You’re all for me, You can never be all for You, and that won’t do at all. To my surprise, the glory of the Lord is worth much more than my self-gratification. So the anthem of our generation should be… Your Kingdom is the only thing that matters, really…

It’s sneaking ‘round outside, it’s crouching down at my door. It’s teaching me the lie and it simply can’t be ignored. So when I sit at the table of the rich man, I put a knife to my throat so that I will not give in to temptation because…

I used to play for this guy in Texas. He was regionally famous. (South West US) He's a gifted lyricist and song writer. Good guy too.