"BODIES" exhibit

FlaSoxxJim

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=1060873

The arrival of the "BODIES" exhibit to the Tampa museum has been much-anticipated, and there was an earlier effort to keep the exhibit from opening because some people obkected to its content (i.e., plascticized human bodies and parts in various exploded views to display their internal workings).

The exhibits are prepared in the same manner as those of Gunther von Hagens' "Body Worlds" exhibits currently on display at Sci&I in Chicago and the Great Lakes Science Center in Cleveland.

Although the bodies were legally obtained from the Chinese company that does the "Plastination," the fact that no relatives of the deceased wver gave permission for use in this manner was cited as the reason for trying to keep the exhibit from opening. Getting such permission would be impossible, since most of the bodies were unidentified and unclaimed Chinese.

Has anybody here seen the exhibit at Sci&I, and if so what were your impressions? I personally can't wait to go see this exhibit next month with my family.

I chaperoned field trip there with my wife's upper level bio classes and it was really incredible. For you personally Jim, I would recommend it as a "must see". It is an awesome exhibit whether you are a complete layman like me, or way, way advanced in your knowledge. If you want some specifics let me know.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
I chaperoned  field trip there with my wife's upper level bio classes and it was really incredible.  For you personally Jim, I would recommend it as a "must see".  It is an awesome exhibit whether you are a complete layman like me, or way, way advanced in your knowledge.  If you want some specifics let me know.

I just hope vistors don't bring a dog with them when they see that exibit! :lolhitting

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
I chaperoned  field trip there with my wife's upper level bio classes and it was really incredible.  For you personally Jim, I would recommend it as a "must see".  It is an awesome exhibit whether you are a complete layman like me, or way, way advanced in your knowledge.  If you want some specifics let me know.

Thanks for the review. :cheers

My plans were to make Sci&I in a July trip to Chicago to catch some ballgames, but my plans unravelled on me. I was excited to see a similar exhibit coming to my neck of the woods.

We also get a return of the Tut exhibit to Florida in January which will be great because my 7-year old girl is obsessed with Egypt and mummies and such at the moment. I think she's crepping her classmates out, telling them how the Egyptian mummy-makers pulled the brains of their subjects out through their noses and cool stuff like that.

Yes, I have doomed the poor lid to a life of science-geekery. :D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Thanks for the review.  :cheers

My plans were to make Sci&I in a July trip to Chicago to catch some ballgames, but my plans unravelled on me.  I was excited to see a similar exhibit coming to my neck of the woods.

We also get a return of the Tut exhibit to Florida  in January which will be great because my 7-year old girl is obsessed with Egypt and mummies and such at the moment.  I think she's crepping her classmates out, telling them how the Egyptian mummy-makers pulled the brains of their subjects out through their noses and cool stuff like that.

Yes, I have doomed the poor lid to a life of science-geekery.  :D

Tut comes up here next year and I can't wait. I wasn't old enough to have seen the original trip, but I am a huge amatuer Eygptologist and can't wait. They are also getting an exhibit on Pompei in November which will be really awesome as well.

And I already know with the parents my kid is going to have, she is going to be doomed to the same nerdy fate :P At least there will be sports to balance it out. :)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
And I already know with the parents my kid is going to have, she is going to be doomed to the same nerdy fate :P At least there will be sports to balance it out. :)

Hell, my girl is a crackerjack at second base, and she led her little league team in batting avg. this year. I like t think it is because of superior coaching, of course.

Sadly, her younger brother showed almost zero interest in his first year in T-ball this year. he doesn't look all that much like me either. Parhaps a paternity test is in order... ;)