Back to school

Yoda

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
You're not going to find many that teach Calculus or pre calc that aren't complete math nerds. They love what they do, that's why they're teaching math. The good thing is, if you pay attention and do the work you'll be pretty well set for the future when it comes to advanced mathematics. I took pre calc my junior year in high school, then took Calculus my senior year. Both years I had the same teacher, I hated it at the time but I really learned it. Now any math classes that I take are uber easy.

That's exactly my situation. I'm going to take Calc next year as a senior, but I won't have the same teacher. All my math teachers in high school have sucked, luckily I can understand it and get pretty decent grades. It's just hard work. As much as I didn't like the teachers and the classes I have learned a lot. In the end, that's all that matters.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
That's exactly my situation. I'm going to take Calc next year as a senior, but I won't have the same teacher. All my math teachers in high school have sucked, luckily I can understand it and get pretty decent grades. It's just hard work. As much as I didn't like the teachers and the classes I have learned a lot. In the end, that's all that matters.

my algebra/precalc teacher in high school was my favorite teacher i've ever had. i had him for 3 years and he had such a great way of combining teaching and getting to know teh students. He was a big sports guy, used to be the football coach, so he didn't have problems relating to a bunch of guys. He knew how to get through to everyone, maybe the one big plus from academics in high school

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
Marketing-:headbang

I loved Marketing for some reason. I don't know if it was the teacher or the fact that two of my best friends were in class with me.

I had a blast creating magazine ads, TV ads, newspaper ads...

One time my friend and I came in 5 minutes before class started and studied for the test we were about to take. We both aced it. :D Somehow we were both able to write just enough to make it sound like we knew what we were talking about.

We were also able to join DECA and go to these competitions were we literally had to roleplay different parts. Try to sell a specific product to the judge, create an advertisement of a product in a set amount of time, etc... Great fun.

All three of us took entrepreneurship the following year with the same teacher. Basically the entire year was devoted to setting up your own (fake) business and try to create a business plan to make it profitable within three years. You had to come up with a store layout, products, location of your business, where you would get the capital, etc...

Have fun!

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
I loved Marketing for some reason. I don't know if it was the teacher or the fact that two of my best friends were in class with me.

I had a blast creating magazine ads, TV ads, newspaper ads...

One time my friend and I came in 5 minutes before class started and studied for the test we were about to take. We both aced it. :D Somehow we were both able to write just enough to make it sound like we knew what we were talking about.

We were also able to join DECA and go to these competitions were we literally had to roleplay different parts. Try to sell a specific product to the judge, create an advertisement of a product in a set amount of time, etc...  Great fun.

All three of us took entrepreneurship the following year with the same teacher. Basically the entire year was devoted to setting up your own (fake) business and try to create a business plan to make it profitable within three years. You had to come up with a store layout, products, location of your business, where you would get the capital, etc...

Have fun!

mythology/psych = pretty cool...good professors that entertain me...howevahh...chem/german = the dick...boring chem professor / german one...gross....

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP! 1st day of school for CPS students sooooo....

Physics - Only 8 students, very cool teacher, 1st period easy morning class.

Art- Nice teacher, only took it because it's required.

Journalism- Precursor to college, Become new Sports writer for school paper, cool teacher.

Lunch - Yay, got a lot my friends in there. Best lunch period by far.

Advanced Algebra/Trigenometry - Same boring teacher from last year but she loves me so...A!

General Music - Another requirement, cool teacher, very educated in all types of music.

British Lieterature - Coolest f***ing teacher ever!

A.P. World History - Meh, cool teacher, hard class, very hard. Many tests, outlines, exams, etc. An A or B does get me a college credit though.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
My journalism prof quoted Chomsky today, probably just for Soxy.

Speaking of which, you wanted me to get back to you concerning my journalism class. Basically, it is an intro class to journalism covering basic language and executions. I became the head member of the sports committee in the school newspaper so the Sox will be in ALL issues! :headbang :gosox3:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
Speaking of which, you wanted me to get back to you concerning my journalism class. Basically, it is an intro class to journalism covering basic language and executions. I became the head member of the sports committee in the school newspaper so the Sox will be in ALL issues!  :headbang  :gosox3:

So it's a class where you go through and learn basic newspaper stuff and also do it in school newspaper form?

Our HS newspaper was in clusterf*** form, as we had to continually work on stuff and took no class time to learn newspaper structure or anything. :drink ;)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
So it's a class where you go through and learn basic newspaper stuff and also do it in school newspaper form?

Our HS newspaper was in clusterf*** form, as we had to continually work on stuff and took no class time to learn newspaper structure or anything. :drink  ;)

Haha. We are very organized and we plan on putting out an issue every 4 weeks, that is our goal. I just finished my HW too. I read a chapter in our book about basic journalism jargon and how to apply your article to the audience, and learned about newsbriefs, etc. very cool class.

BTW: Clusterf***......YES!

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Haha. We are very organized and we plan on putting out an issue every 4 weeks, that is our goal. I just finished my HW too. I read a chapter in our book about basic journalism jargon and how to apply your article to the audience, and learned about newsbriefs, etc. very cool class.

BTW: Clusterf***......YES!

We usually put one out every 3 weeks but we squeezed one in every two at times last year. How long is yours? Ours was a typical twelve page format:

1: Front, main news story, teaser, what's inside

2: news stories, ads, editors notes

3: news stories, ads

4: sports, ads

5: sports, ads

6: feature idea, such as study habits, homework loads, included surveys

7: other side of feature

8: opinion.....poll and 8 students questioned on a topic, plus opinion column

9: opinion, more opinion columns

10: entertainment

11: special, such as an election feature

12: candid photos with a theme

We would have to have the paper sent electronically by Tuesday of week 3 for publication on Friday on week 3, as the local newspaper printed it. Our staff was, for all basic purposes, 12-16 kids, including editors. Our adviser also said last year, my senior year, was the least work she's ever had, so my co editor and I took real pride in that.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
We usually put one out every 3 weeks but we squeezed one in every two at times last year. How long is yours? Ours was a typical twelve page format:

1: Front, main news story, teaser, what's inside

2: news stories, ads, editors notes

3: news stories, ads

4: sports, ads

5: sports, ads

6: feature idea, such as study habits, homework loads, included surveys

7: other side of feature

8: opinion.....poll and 8 students questioned on a topic, plus opinion column

9: opinion, more opinion columns

10: entertainment

11: special, such as an election feature

12: candid photos with a theme

We would have to have the paper sent electronically by Tuesday of week 3 for publication on Friday on week 3, as the local newspaper printed it. Our staff was, for all basic purposes, 12-16 kids, including editors. Our adviser also said last year, my senior year, was the least work she's ever had, so my co editor and I took real pride in that.

Yeah, ours is 12 pages but a bit different format:

1: Main Stories

2: News (National)

3: News (Local)

4: Entertainement

5: Student Life, Around the School

6: Feature

7: Feature

8: Opinion

9: Misc. Photos, Fun Stuff, News

10: Special (Holidays, Events, etc)

11: Sports

12: Sports

Japanese Cinema - Fun, interesting professor. Class looks like it will be a very intriguing time.

Pan-Chinese (Mainland China, Hong Kong & Taiwan) Cinema - Professor is a little hard to understand but it looks like it'll be a lot of fun to be debating issues in the movies.

Classroom Assessment - f***ing easy. 16 weeks of making lesson plans and making sure the assessments are actual measures of the goals in the lesson plan.

High School Social Studies Teaching - Very fun class, discussion of lesson plans, what social studies should entail. Great professor.

Literacy in Social Studies - Lame ass class. f***ing boring as Hell and everything in it we're already doing in other classes.

Special Education - Interesting practical application of theories in the classroom.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
...calculus is dumb and stupid and i hate it.

explain to me why i need to take this for a business major?

I thought you only had to take Business Calculus. At least at UIC, that's all you gotta take when it comes to Calc for Business Majors. That isn't bad at all. I've known people who've passed that without a problem.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
I thought you only had to take Business Calculus. At least at UIC, that's all you gotta take when it comes to Calc for Business Majors. That isn't bad at all. I've known people who've passed that without a problem.

i am taking calc for business

maybe it's because i've never taken anything of the sorts, or maybe it's because the grad student teaching is awful, but i'm having to work hard to understand it.

This class could be incredibly simple or difficult, all depending on the quizzes and exams. I guess i'll find out tommorow with our first quiz.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
My journalism prof quoted Chomsky today, probably just for Soxy.

He is, obviously, a quality prof.

My classes are okay. Auditory perception should be a breeze, Conditioning and Learning will make me want to die, and The one with the long ass title about homeostasis and adaptation in the developing neural system should be decent (professor is a superstar in the field, like seriously, if Academia had Rock Stars she would be one).