AND THAT'S ANOTHER WHITE SOX LOSER!!!

nitetrain8601

It's not pessimism, it's fear. We're all scared s***less that the Sox are going to blow it.

Bulls***. I'm not scared s***less.

Geez, can't some people get a grip. We're going to win the damn division (knock on wood). I am not scared. I'm happy it's baseball season and we're in the hunt.

My god.

Some interesting similarities between Garcia's gem and the one thrown by Dot in '83.

Before Freddy Garcia had his bid for fame and chance to win a game spoiled by Jacque Jones on Tuesday night in Minneapolis, there was Richard Dotson and “Disco” Dan Ford.

The right-handed Dotson was beginning a breakout season that would be the best of his career when he started on the night of May 18, 1983, at Baltimore. Dotson also wore uniform No. 34, the same as Garcia.

The Sox were in the midst of an offensive funk that saw them come into the game with 7 losses in eight games — just as they did Tuesday.

The Metrodome hasn’t been one of the Sox’ favorite road venues in recent years. Baltimore’s old Memorial Stadium was a long-standing house of horrors for the White Sox before the Orioles moved to Camden Yards after the 1991 season.

And 22 years ago, Dotson took a no-hitter into the eighth inning of a scoreless duel with Storm Davis just as Garcia did with Johan Santana on Tuesday night.

While Jones homered off Garcia to start the eighth inning, there was one out when Dotson faced Ford in 1983. Ford, a right-handed hitter with an exaggerated closed stance and decent power, hit a fastball into the right-field seats for the only hit Dotson allowed in a 1-0 loss.

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 06:13 AM)
Right now K.C. may be the only team in the division who are not a threat to the Sox. The rest of the schedule is loaded with inter divisional match ups. Woe is us. 3 better teams chipping away at Sox, "insurmountable" , lead.

Can't complain about the Sox offense.......because there is none. Hey Jerry, you cheap SOB, way to blow another one. He just sucks the life out of Sox fans.

:headshake

I am amused constantly at the thoughts of some "fans"

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
Fine, whatever. I defer to the experts. The offense is great.

The offense isn't great.. but if you're going to attempt to argue money spent at the very least try to use facts to back up your claims.

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
I am talking about cheap all year, not just Griffey. Jerry took Maggs, Lee and Valentin money and flipped some of it over to the pitching staff and pocketed the rest.

Bevery Hills staff and a bargain basement offense.

I really think Jerry's problem is he is a risk free guy. He just won't hedge his bet. His budget was his only consideration and Kenny thought the pitching would carry the club.

What's funny is that in years past the Sox by far didn't spend enough on pitching to succeed. Hence leading the league in home runs, 4th in runs scored and out of the playoffs with a 83-79 record last year. I'd take spending on pitching most days.

But, granted, the Sox have spent $12.5 million on their DH's, Thomas and Everett, who haven't produced as well as other DH's around the league. Thomas because of injury, Everett because of low on-base-percentage (which is very strange for him - I don't know what's up with Carl). Add another $8 million for Konerko, and the Sox are at $20.5 million for the 1B/DH position and they are getting about average production from those positions. That's 28% of the salary right there. Around the horn there is Iguchi ($2+ million, well spent), Uribe ($2 million or so - can't remember - spent OK), and Crede (cheap, but bad offensively vs. the league).

In the OF, there is Dye ($5 million), Rowand ($2 million) and Podsednik (cheap). It's a low-price outfield, but given that Aaron Rowand had a KILLER year last year (second best CF production in all of MLB), you can't blame them for saving money on Aaron. Podsednik has been pretty good in LF, although he needs to be an OBP machine to be worthwhile.

AJ Pierzynski has been worth 3x as much as he's been paid behind the plate.

Where is this team cheap on offense? I guess they could have spent more on a replacement for Ordonez. But there weren't many OF on the market over the offseason that were commanding reasonable prices. Maggs was hurt most of the year and JD Drew, hurt too.

Hard to complain too much about the Sox's investment in offense.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Way to endear yourself as a new poster.

Try admitting you're wrong and move on.

2 different opinions, you just decided to make it personal. Guess that comes with 1,706 posts. Never can figure out why some would rather argue the person and not the point.

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
2 different opinions, you just decided to make it personal. Guess that comes with 1,706 posts.  Never can figure out why some would rather argue the person and not the point.

You realize we are all on the same side?...Right??

:gosox1: :huh :gosox1:

Edited by RibbieRubarb