If your gonna whine and jump off a cliff

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
It might have taken them a while to turn it around, but they won the division in 2001. Your list of home grown talent makes my point about the minor league production under KW even stronger. Buehrle and Crede had already played in the major leagues when KW took over, and KW's first year as GM, was Rowand's first in AAA. Cotts was a trade, Jenks a waiver pick up, and Garland, who I believe logged time with the Sox in 2000, was also a trade. This is year 5 for KW There is not 1 White Sox draft pick since he took over on the team. The minor leagues need to produce. JR is not cheap with the money to develop players, in fact Torborg was gushing a couple weeks ago how much he dumps into player development.

I believe KW was director of the minor leagues ( or some such title) before he took over as GM, so Buehrle and Crede would have been under his watch. Even though Cotts, Garland, and Jenks came in trades or pickups they still went through the WHITE SOX system and the WHITE SOX organization and the WHITE SOX developed them.

Williams served as the club’s director of minor league operations from 1995-96 and was promoted to vice president of player development for four additional seasons (1997-2000). Under his direction, the White Sox were named 2000 Organization of the Year by Baseball America, USA Today and Howe SportsData.

Edited by southsideirish

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Adding to the KW talk, obvious it was on a smaller scale, but alot of us here are excited for Jerry Owens. Williams picked Escobar off the scrap heap, then traded him to the Nats for Owens.

Last I heard Escobar needed reconstructive knee surgery, while Owens is tearing it up in AA.

Hopefully he's a stud. There's no question minor league deals like this can help an organization. Larry Himes picked up Roberto Hernandez for someone who I think never saw AAA. He also drafted well, had 4 #1 picks on the roster of a team that won 94 games, and he was canned, using the point A to point B to point C crap. I know KW won't get canned if the Sox fall apart, and I know there was more to the story of Himes firing than the excuse that was given. But I'm saying, if, and that's still a huge if, this team falls apart, what has occurred the past 5 seasons that would give an indication that KW can take this team to point c?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Hopefully he's a stud. There's no question minor league deals like this can help an organization. Larry Himes picked up Roberto Hernandez for someone who I think never saw AAA. He also drafted well, had 4 #1 picks on the roster of a team that won 94 games, and he was canned, using the point A to point B to point C crap. I know KW won't get canned if the Sox fall apart, and I know there was more to the story of Himes firing than the excuse that was given. But I'm saying, if, and that's still a huge if, this team falls apart, what has occurred the past 5 seasons that would give an indication that KW can take this team to point c?

Himes also had some earlier draft choices to work with. We haven't had a top ten selection in 15 years.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
Himes also had some earlier draft choices to work with.  We haven't had a top ten selection in 15 years.

Larry Himes also selected Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas & Alex Fernandez.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Under his direction, the White Sox were named 2000 Organization of the Year by Baseball America, USA Today and Howe SportsData.

Which was sooooo not deserved.

Someone help.. didn't Garland start a few times for the Cubs at the major level..?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
From what I've heard, that sounded like a pretty rough thread. :D

It wasn't so bad.. until the boys started PMS'ing. :lol:

JOKING.... Please don't hurt me... :ph34r:

Last night, I lost my cool...came on this board and ranted against my beloved White Sox.

My loyalty was tested..no, it was beyond tested...it was pushed to it's limit.

The sky is falling. Doomsday approaches and it's 7 and 9.5 games behind us, respectivly.

Panic. What do we do? Beg for Griffey?! Tell Greg Walker to listen to his own advice and STOP our hitters from swinging for the fences...or ASK our hitters to stop?!

We were never this bad...we weren't a great offense, but we were never this bad.

So what's the deal?! Maybe I should put down this kool-aid...nah, let me take a drink...

Ozzie claimed Iguchi was our MVP. Wrong answer. Podsednik is our MVP, and if there was any doubt about it before, there is none now. For some reason Pods makes this offense work...and without him, it falters on almost every level.

I hold out hope knowing the superhero Scott Podsednik's return is just around the corner.

Save us, Scott. You're our only hope.

Oh, and about my ranting and raving last night, I apologize...I can't abondon this team, not ever...even if we never win.

Here is too a little optimism... :drink