Leagues Top Hurlers velocity-wise

Kyyle23

I e-mailed him, lets see what he says

[/quote

Could you post your email?

Doug,

With all due respect, your article on mlb.com is completely ridiculous. How can you have a poll on the pitcher with the highest velocity, and not have any of the hardest throwers in the mlb on the list. Clemens still gets it up there, but Randy Johnson hasn't seen the other side of 95 MPH the entire year. Schilling? Come on, the guy still hasn't regained his velocity, he tops out at 94. Prior isn't even the hardest throwing starter on his own team. Bartolo Colon throws harder and has better stats than almost anyone on your list this year, and yet isn't even mentioned. Velocity is an easy statistic to measure, you look at the radar gun and write down the number. Mid-low 90's is not a high velocity in today's mlb. AJ Burnett, Rich Harden, Sabathia, Peavy, Billy Wagner, Bobby Jenks (100 Mph), Kyle Farnsworth (99 mph), Johan Santana, are all much harder throwers than the names on your list. Please do your part to educate the masses who read your very popular website on the actual players in the MLB, and not just the most popular names.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Doug,

With all due respect, your article on mlb.com is completely ridiculous.  How can you have a poll on the pitcher with the highest velocity, and not have any of the hardest throwers in the mlb on the list.  Clemens still gets it up there, but Randy Johnson hasn't seen the other side of 95 MPH the entire year. Schilling? Come on, the guy still hasn't regained his velocity, he tops out at 94.  Prior isn't even the hardest throwing starter on his own team.  Bartolo Colon throws harder and has better stats than almost anyone on your list this year, and yet isn't even mentioned.  Velocity is an easy statistic to measure, you look at the radar gun and write down the number.  Mid-low 90's is not a high velocity in today's mlb.  AJ Burnett, Rich Harden, Sabathia, Peavy, Billy Wagner, Bobby Jenks (100 Mph), Kyle Farnsworth (99 mph), Johan Santana,  are all much harder throwers than the names on your list.  Please do your part to educate the masses who read your very popular website on the actual players in the MLB, and not just the most popular names.

has he replied??

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Matt Anderson?

That's him. That MF'r threw the Sox like 7 pitches in a row that were at least 100. I think he hit 101 a few times. Anyone else remember that?

I'm surpised that guy is still throwing. He's a skinny guy and you could see that it took every ounce of energy on every pitch. Crazy.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
no reply.

How can he possibly reply? he has to know that his article and poll are absolutely ludicrous and baseless. He listed former flame-throwers and Duaner Sanchez, and tried to tell us that these are the best of the best.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
I once took swings during gym class against a friend of mine in HS that threw 100 mph.  We were just screwing around, but he was throwing his hardest.  I was terrified because he never had any control, and I was just throwing the bat out there while trying to get away from the plate.  I'll never do it again.  I don't know if I've ever been more scared.  That kid hit plenty of people.

Reminds me of this. A few years ago, when Clemens was with the Yankees, I was behind a fence, right behind him as he was warming up at the Cell. At one point, this guy, not sure what he did for the team, stood in as a hitter. What was strange is the guy wasn't holding a bat or WEARING A BATTING HELMET. He just stood at the plate, holding his arms up as if he were holding a bat and let Clemens throw like 20 pitches to the catcher. Is this a common practice?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
That's him.  That MF'r threw the Sox like 7 pitches in a row that were at least 100.  I think he hit 101 a few times. Anyone else remember that?

I'm surpised that guy is still throwing. He's a skinny guy and you could see that it took every ounce of energy on every pitch.  Crazy.

He already threw his arm out once and required surgery, that's why he is no longer with the Tigers. Former overall No. 1 pick has nasty stuff, unfortunately his subpar mechanics stopped him from becoming a dominant MLB closer over an extended period of time. I was rooting for him too since he is from Louisville.