Dislocated Knee-Cap

SoxFan1

Not sure if this belonged here or in the Sports Forum but I was curious. Anyone else ever dislocate a knee-cap? It has happened to me 3 times in less than 1 year. Once on the left knee and twice on my right knee. Unfourtunately, I dislocated my knee-cap again tghis morning at soccer practice. I planted my leg in the crappy-ass field and it popped righ out of place but popped right back in. Supposedly, this happens to me often because I grew so fast and my body has still yet to adapt. In a year and a 1/2, I went from like 5'6 to 6'3, which is where I stand now. I have pretty muc hshot all chances of playing baseball and soccer this year and the frequent injuries might hamper me for the rest of my life. Anyone else have this problem?

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
I've ripped cartilage in both knees and had surgery on both but never dislocated my knee cap. Sounds pleasant.

Holy f*** it hurts. First 5 minutes you cannot move your leg at all. Next 20 minutes you cannot apply pressure to it. Then afterwards, for a few hours, you have a dull pain in all your joints and ligaments in that knee. You have to ice it within like 3 minutes or you're f***ed with swelling for like 2 weeks. Popping it back in place can be a b**** too. I get very frustrated when it runs through my head. God, I felt like crying so bad but not because if pain but because of how much this f***s up my everyday life.... :headshake :crying :banghead

Did it to both knees. Left knee playing tennis in high school, right knee in intramural basketball. Was going to dunk a ball in an actual game (previously had only done it in practice) and hit a loose floorboard on my way to the hoop. Only my knee didn't want to go back in. They took me out on a stretcher with the kneecap stuck way out to the side, and it was that way for over an hour. At the hospital they gave me laughing gas as a muscle relaxer, then after about 5 minutes, the doc just touched it with her pen and it snapped right back in. Hurt like hell when it did! I still played sports for a while after that, volleyball and tennis, but after a fewmore years, the lack of cartilidge just got to be too painful. Golf and bowling are about all I can do pain free now. Take care of it now, or it willonly get worse for you. A brace may help. And good luck.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
I had the same exact problem with my shoulder. I dislocated it three times in 6 months and physical therapy did nothing good for it and my days of playing baseball are over. It sucks, but I wasn't going to be anything more than a HS player so I'm over it now.

True, I don't think I would ever amount to anything major but my Vasrity coach said that if I fine-tune a 3rd pitch and consistantly throw it for strikes (change-up), I could definitely get a baseball scholarship to a big college. He used to college Div-1A college baseball somewhere...

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Did it to both knees.  Left knee playing tennis in high school, right knee in intramural basketball.  Was going to dunk a ball in an actual game (previously had only done it in practice) and hit a loose floorboard on my way to the hoop.  Only my knee didn't want to go back in.  They took me out on a stretcher with the kneecap stuck way out to the side, and it was that way for over an hour.  At the hospital they gave me laughing gas as a muscle relaxer, then after about 5 minutes, the doc just touched it with her pen and it snapped right back in.  Hurt like hell when it did!  I still played sports for a while after that, volleyball and tennis, but after a fewmore years, the lack of cartilidge just got to be too painful.  Golf and bowling are about all I can do pain free now.  Take care of it now, or it willonly get worse for you.  A brace may help.  And good luck.

I have been using knee braces since the 1st injury with my left knee and it only helps a little. I only went to the doctor for the 2nd injury not the 1st or this one (3rd). As far as popping it back in place, usually I just try straightening my leg and it will snap right back. Hurts like a b****!

i've only hyperextended mine which was bad enough. knew a guy who it happened to all the time. saw it happen to him once when we were having a hoops game. he was pg bringing it up the court and all of the sudden we heard a pop and you see the bone bulging in the knee and he of course went down rolling around holding his knee and grimacing in pain. i believe after so many times of it happening he had to have surgery on them...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
I saw a footy player on the TV do that about 10 years ago. He was sitting there, whacking it back into place with his hand about 5 times. One of the most sickening things I've ever seen.

Ended up happening to me the 2nd time. I was laying on the ground punching the s***out of it, trying to get it back into place. :headshake :crying