Ace's being Ace's

southsider2k5

Just want to get some luv out to the pitchers for the last two starts. Check out this stat line

16 IP, 2 ER, 7 H, 2 BB, 9 K

Severe ownage alert!!!

We all raved about Garcia, but how about Mark Buehrle being the student of the game. He sits there and watches Johan Santana absolutely punish hitters with the best change in the game, and something suddenly clicks... He goes back and watches tape of Johan pitching and realizes that he has been easing up on his change up and tipping it off to hitters. Its not a deadarm, its mechanics. Mark makes sure to finish his change like a fastball, and nobody could get a solid read on him all night. He gives up one run in 8 innings to LeCroy, but couples that with 4 double plays turned, and no walks to go with his 6 strikeouts.

Look out MLB, if Garcia and Buehrle pitch like this in October, you are all in some trouble.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
Just want to get some luv out to the pitchers for the last two starts.  Check out this stat line

16 IP, 2 ER, 7 H, 2 BB, 9 K

Severe ownage alert!!!

We all raved about Garcia, but how about Mark Buehrle being the student of the game.  He sits there and watches Johan Santana absolutely punish hitters with the best change in the game, and something suddenly clicks...  He goes back and watches tape of Johan pitching and realizes that he has been easing up on his change up and tipping it off to hitters.  Its not a deadarm, its mechanics.  Mark makes sure to finish his change like a fastball, and nobody could get a solid read on him all night.  He gives up one run in 8 innings to LeCroy, but couples that with 4 double plays turned, and no walks to go with his 6 strikeouts.

Look out MLB, if Garcia and Buehrle pitch like this in October, you are all in some trouble.

I think you should add Contreras' numbers against the Yankees to this composite. The past 3 starts have been phenomenal.

If you add Contreras' sunday start against the Yankees, this is the line for the 3 starters

24 IP, 3 ER, 18 H, 2 BB, 14 K

Thats some great numbers. Averaging 8 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, .66 BB, and 4 Ks.

And a One Hitter with a loss. :banghead

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
If you add Contreras' sunday start against the Yankees, this is the line for the 3 starters

Thats some great numbers.  Averaging 8 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, .66 BB, and 4 Ks.

Those are beautiful numbers...can't wait to see how 4 games look, after Jon owns these Twinkies.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)

Thats some great numbers.  Averaging 8 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, .66 BB, and 4 Ks.

Thanks for going back and adding those in. The other nice thing is that the pen has been on virtual vacation after being worked like dogs for a while. That can only help as well.

I like our pitching in the playoffs. I think Garcia and Mark will be real good.

If you keep a three or four man rotaion. What do you do with the other pitchers like Contreas and El duque? Do they become bullpen help or just not used at all?

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
El Duque starts in the playoffs.

I'd rather have the count. He is our 4th best pitcher according to the numbers, and his performance lately.

As for October, its all about timing. The team that gets hot at the end of the season will win it all. It happens every year. Look at why WC teams in the WS, they get hot. Peaking too soon almost ensures a slump in the playoffs. Did Oakland peak too soon? Is Cle? Are we in our pre-streak slump right now? We will all see.

Its interesting b/c the Playoffs are all about Big Game pitchers and stepping up to the plate. If you look down our rotation, the only one (and I'm going to be jumped on) who hasn't shown that side of himself yet this year is Buehrle. Now I'm not saying that he isn't our ace or anything but look at who has given us huge starts lately, minus last night. Garcia, Contreras and El Duque. Garland has been shakey but he's come through in the clutch this season. This is why it presents a difficult (but welcome) problem of who to start in the post season. And I certainly don't have the answer.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Its interesting b/c the Playoffs are all about Big Game pitchers and stepping up to the plate.  If you look down our rotation, the only one (and I'm going to be jumped on) who hasn't shown that side of himself yet this year is Buehrle.  Now I'm not saying that he isn't our ace or anything but look at who has given us huge starts lately, minus last night.  Garcia, Contreras and El Duque.  Garland has been shakey but he's come through in the clutch this season.  This is why it presents a difficult (but welcome) problem of who to start in the post season. And I certainly don't have the answer.

But I give the pitching staff an A+ this year on making the adjustments needed to be competetive. I wish the hitters would adjust their game as well at the plate. If that were to happen, this team will knock some heads come playoff time.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
But I give the pitching staff an A+ this year on making the adjustments needed to be competetive.  I wish the hitters would adjust their game as well at the plate.  If that were to happen, this team will knock some heads come playoff time.

Great post, the pitchers have worked real hard to adjust and too many of the hitters haven't. Crede is back to that long, slow, loopy swing of his that will make him an ex Major leaguer next year. Too many times guys try to hit one out, instead of just taking what the pitcher gives and using the whole field.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
Great post, the pitchers have worked real hard to adjust and too many of the hitters haven't. Crede is back to that long, slow, loopy swing of his that will make him an ex Major leaguer next year. Too many times guys try to hit one out, instead of just taking what the pitcher gives and using the whole field.

You care to make a bet on that Crede remark?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
You care to make a bet on that Crede remark?

2002 .285 .311 .515 .826

2003 .261 .308 .433 .741

2004 .239 .299 .418 .717

2005 .232 .285 .408 .693

I want him to make it as much as you do. His D is solid. I just think time is running out. That swing of his just won't cut it much longer.