Curt.. STFU.

Steff

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4806414

Schilling questions Palmeiro's credibility

BOSTON (AP) - Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling said Wednesday that Rafael Palmeiro has "no credibility" to talk about steroids, and the Baltimore slugger's achievements should be wiped from baseball's record books.

In an interview with Boston radio station WEEI on Wednesday, Schilling recalled that he and Palmeiro sat together in March when both testified before Congress. Palmeiro denied taking steroids at the time, but was given a 10-day suspension Aug. 1 after failing a drug test.

"He obviously sat next to me in Washington and lied," Schilling said. "I don't know that there's any way to prove that anything he did was not under the influence of performance-enhancing drugs."

Curt Schilling said Wednesday that Rafael Palmeiro sat next to him during the hearings on steroids in March and lied to Congress. (Win McNamee / Getty Images)

Palmeiro had 3,020 hits and 569 homers going into Baltimore's game against the Angels on Wednesday.

Schilling's remarks echo those made by Washington Nationals manager Frank Robinson, who hit 568 homers in his Hall of Fame career.

Schilling, who is scheduled to return to the Red Sox rotation Thursday night against the Kansas City Royals after filling in as the closer, said earlier drug scandals took away his idealism about baseball.

"I just kind of got to the point where I finally realized that liars and cheaters and criminals exist in all professions," he said. "Baseball doesn't absolve us from being human beings."

Schilling also said he would have nothing to say to Palmeiro when Boston and Baltimore meet Sept. 2-4 for a series at Fenway.

"I've never played with him," he said. "I'm not his teammate. My hope is that Raffy does whatever he can possibly do in his position to help further the message that Major League Baseball needs to send to kids, to people.

"Whether he's going to be able to do that, given what he's done, to me, doubtful," Schilling said. "He has no credibility, I don't think, in that area. It's going to be tough. I just hope his life gets righted and he does the right thing."

Rafael Palmeiro needs to make his results public if he wants to clear his name in whatever way. Everyone says he used a "bad" steroid, but noone has seen any results about anything. It would certainly clear my mind a little more.

I dont remember Schilling as being such a Gossip Queen and Mr. Controversy until he got to Boston. Did he have an hourlong spot on a radio show when he was in Philly or Arizona?

Schilling is on my short list of people I love to hate. How can one man find it so necessary to sound off on so many subjects? When did he become the moral hand of justice? I can't wait for his bloody sock to provide the next quote on steroids in baseball.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
Schilling is on my short list of people I love to hate. How can one man find it so necessary to sound off on so many subjects? When did he become the moral hand of justice? I can't wait for his bloody sock to provide the next quote on steroids in baseball.

"Live from Cooperstown... Curt's sock speaks."

I saw the interview, it was kind of a follow up to Frank Robinson's comments about purging the record book of steroid stats. I thought Shill made a good point, and applauded his willingness to make a stand. If more players came out against steroids, maybe baseball wouldn't have had such an issue. Too many players shun difficult subjects and speak in cliches that say nothing.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 07:23 AM)
I saw the interview, it was kind of a follow up to Frank Robinson's comments about purging the record book of steroid stats. I thought Shill made a good point, and applauded his willingness to make a stand. If more players came out against steroids, maybe baseball wouldn't have had such an issue. Too many players shun difficult subjects and speak in cliches that say nothing.

Like I said, if it wasn't Schilling I would put some value in what was said. But Curt has found a way to be vocal WAY WAY WAY too much to put any value in what he says. Actions speak louder than words, he can shut his face for all I care.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)

Tex.. I agree those who feel this way should speak. But Curt.. who sat there next to Raffy and chewed Jose's ass out for being a liar...? Curt should have also included an apology to Canseco in his comments, IMO, if he was going to say anything at all.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)
I dont remember Schilling as being such a Gossip Queen and Mr. Controversy until he got to Boston. Did he have an hourlong spot on a radio show when he was in Philly or Arizona?

Definitely had one in Phoenix. He was on once a week for 30 minutes or so. I can't stand Schilling, but have to admit it's kind of refreshing to hear a guy speak his mind. I just happen to disagree with his moral superiority on every issue.

One of the highlights of that day when the players sat before Congress was when the one guy (don't remember his name) said he was just handed an article that appeared in SI that has Schilling quoted saying that steroids were rampant in baseball. Schilling did not deny the statements, but said that upon reflection, he was wrong about that. Sure, Curt. Methinks Palmeiro, Sammy, and McGuire weren't the only ones who lied on that day.

Curt Schilling - The Conscience of Baseball

I for one am glad that Ben Davis bunted for a single to break up this puds perfect game bid. FU and your unwritten rules, Schill.

I can't stand Schilling, especially how the media feels the need that his opinion be heard on every damn issue. This guy was spitting out the most BS at those hearings (well maybe not the most, palmeiro made himself look like an idiot), towing the company line. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on steroids, or at least human growth hormone. If it was up to ESPN, he'd be the next MLB commishioner, but I sure am sick of hearing his opinion on every issue, and making it sound like his is always the right one.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
I can't stand Schilling, especially how the media feels the need that his opinion be heard on every damn issue. This guy was spitting out the most BS at those hearings (well maybe not the most, palmeiro made himself look like an idiot), towing the company line. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on steroids, or at least human growth hormone. If it was up to ESPN, he'd be the next MLB commishioner, but I sure am sick of hearing his opinion on every issue, and making it sound like his is always the right one.

They go to Schilling because the know they can get a good quote or two out of him.

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
Honestly, what is the problem with Curt commenting on this? Everyone comments on it, he just makes it public and he isn't wrong about it anyway...

No problem.... cleared up those lingering questions of whether he was a hypocrite or not.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 07:26 AM)
Curt should have also included an apology to Canseco in his comments, IMO, if he was going to say anything at all.

I honestly believe a lot of people owe an apology to Canseco. I know people may say that Canseco is just a money grubber, but a lot of people slammed him when his book came out calling him a liar and such, even at the Congressional hearing, and a lot is proving to be true