Wrong Lefty?

Kyyle23

This is nothing but complete speculation on my part, and I have found no connection between the Sox and Padres on a potential trade, but I found this online today and couldnt help but think, what if KW is trying to get Brian Giles?

Brian Giles is making $7 million this season. And teams such as the Cardinals, who tried to trade for Giles last night, might be in the bidding.

I certainly would love to have him on the team, the guy can really hit. Looks like multiple teams are after him.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Isn't Giles a UFA after this season?  Maybe they know they won't resign him and just want something in return.

That would make sense, and sounds similar to what the Marlins were trying to do with Burnett for awhile, but it would have to depend on who they wanted back on our roster, plus who clears waivers.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Why would the Padres, currently up in the division by 6 games, trade one of their few offensive weapons ?

Plus, if they were open to trading him, wouldn't they want major league talent back ?

Im just mentioning it because the Cardinals tried to trade for him. The Padres may be up 6 games, but they are in the worst division by far in the league. Maybe they want to try and get something for him while they can and go young for the rest of the season into the playoffs. i know they really like Xavier Nady, and he gets shuffled around alot. Maybe they just want to get him out there.

Like I said, complete speculation. But the rumor mill is swirling with alot of that lately

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Why would the Padres, currently up in the division by 6 games, trade one of their few offensive weapons ?

Plus, if they were open to trading him, wouldn't they want major league talent back ?

The Padres have been looking to unload him all year, they've gotten close a couple times. he's a FA at the end of the year and most likely he won't be resigning with the Pads. They're trying to get some good pitching for him, anything close to major league ready.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Isn't Giles a UFA after this season?  Maybe they know they won't resign him and just want something in return.

Yes and yes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)

I think after his numbers have TANKED in the new park, he probably has zero desire to resign there and told the Padres as much

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
I think after his numbers have TANKED in the new park, he probably has zero desire to resign there and told the Padres as much

His numbers have not tanked. His power numbers are down this season but his overall numbers have not "tanked".

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
This is nothing but complete speculation on my part, and I have found no connection between the Sox and Padres on a potential trade, but I found this online today and couldnt help but think, what if KW is trying to get Brian Giles?

I certainly would love to have him on the team, the guy can really hit.  Looks like multiple teams are after him.

I'm a Pads fan as well as a Sox. And I know for a fact that the Pads are desperately looking for a RH power bat, while we need a LH. How about Dye for Giles?? This would work out for both teams. Doubt it would happen, but you can dream right?? How's this lineup............Pods, Iguchi, Giles, PK, Everett, Rowand, AJ, Crede, Uribe........I like it :drink Edited by CYGarland