Jason & Co...

Steff

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
The load on the server is 0.50 during the spikes.  The processor(S) and the bandwidth is fine.  MySQL is a piece of crap.  That's all.

But its Free!!!! So it must be good.

Well at the rate that some of these database vendors are pricing their products. I can stand with a few "too many connection" messages.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
But its Free!!!!  So it must be good.

Well at the rate that some of these database vendors are pricing their products.  I can stand with a few "too many connection" messages.

Sorry - did you even know what I meant about the server load?

Anything less then 3.00 is meaning the server is functioning well. It's usally anywhere between 0.50 and 0.75 when we have 250 people on here.

It's the database that's the problem, pure and simple.

I can probably shut the site down this weekend and rebuild the database, that might help some.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)

Anything less then 3.00 is meaning the server is functioning well.  It's usally anywhere between 0.50 and 0.75 when we have 250 people on here.

I can probably shut the site down this weekend and rebuild the database, that might help some.

Actually yes I do understand server load in nix or nix like OSs. Hence my comments earlier.

The comments about mysql being free were in green for a reason.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)

Anything less then 3.00 is meaning the server is functioning well.  It's usally anywhere between 0.50 and 0.75 when we have 250 people on here.

Personally, I'd dump anything more than 1 year old. Trust me, I've read most of the posts, and wrote way too many of them, there isn't anything there worth savings.

or

Let Jas rebuild the database and solve it that way.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)

Sigh.... go ahead. I'll keep an eye out for the bill. :rolly

What the hell? No one has ever heard people get offended at that phrase. Wow. I said it at school one time and everyone turned on me and I almost got myass beat...broaden your horizons people. Maybe, not to be racist or anything, the white people dont interact with the african americans or mexicans enough? Just throwing this out there. I am very surprised.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
um.......what!?!

that's it, i'm finally befuddled.

^^^

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
What the hell? No one has ever heard people get offended at that phrase. Wow. I said it at school one time and everyone turned on me and I almost got myass beat...broaden your horizons people. Maybe, not to be racist or anything, the white people dont interact with the african americans or mexicans enough? Just throwing this out there. I am very surprised.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)

how in the hell was kap being racist .........or even any remotely negative adjective, by saying you people?

it's called context........

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
how in the hell was kap being racist .........or even any remotely negative adjective, by saying you people?

it's called context........

I didn't say he....you know what, nevermind, I take back the comment....forget it. That woud be the best thing to do.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Sigh.... go ahead. I'll keep an eye out for the bill.  :rolly

And what a large bill it will be. :bang

So when you coming to watch the Sox next week? Monday?

:P

There's gonna be lots of beer in the fridge.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
And what a large bill it will be. :bang

So when you coming to watch the Sox next week?  Monday?

:P

There's gonna be lots of beer in the fridge.

Ohhh.. if I can swing it you know I'll be there. Let me consult with the boss... who - evidentally drank way too much while golfing at Medinah CC today - just called to tell me "Ooo honey. I do love this course" (he plays there 3 or 4 times a year) and suggests we get a membership there. He couldn't understand why I couldn't stop laughing. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Ohhh.. if I can swing it you know I'll be there. Let me consult with the boss... who  - evidentally drank way too much while golfing at Medinah CC today - just called to tell me "Ooo honey. I do love this course" (he plays there 3 or 4 times a year) and suggests we get a membership there. He couldn't understand why I couldn't stop laughing.  :lolhitting

Seriously?

That would be a blast if ya'll can come down!

Except I can't go Monday. :(

Tuesday.

Yay Tuesday.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
Seriously?

That would be a blast if ya'll can come down!

Except I can't go Monday.  :(

Tuesday.

Yay Tuesday.

Let me see if we can visit the agent there and make it a "business trip". ;)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Dude, I was hitting refresh like a man possessed too.  That's what happens.

If you hit refresh, and then you hit refresh AGAIN while that command was being processed against the database, your first refresh hangs the software up.  That's what makes it bog down and get too many connection errors.  Does that explain it a little better?

Unless we go to a full version of SQL, ya'll are going to have to deal with it, because we don't exactly have $5K sitting around to do that.

5k for what the software or hardware?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
We've talked before about possibly setting up a PayPal or gift money section of Soxtalk for anyone who wanted to donate but we weren't sure how it would go over.

actaully I am asking about the software. what do you need or desire, specifically.

There are other applications that this will work on (invision).

But mySQL is the most popular, and with the amount of traffic that this site generates, it would take a full version of something a lot more powerful then we have, which is not cheap, depending on which way we go.

The server is ran on unix, there's no way in hell that I'm going windows.