Minneshooowda Series

kapkomet

People, this was a playoff series atmosphere. I know we've struggled as of late, but when we were all sitting looking at the schedule in March and April, we knew that this would be the toughest part of the season.

You cannot possibly call yourself a baseball fan if you didn't seriously enjoy this series. Game one was a classic, even though we came up short.

Game two we jumped out and hung on, and MB figured out some things, which is awesome to see.

And today, it was a grind-it-out win that plays huge in terms of confidence as we look toward October.

Props to the guys. Let's go out west and kick some Seattle tail!

It's great to see and great preparation. Winning a division in MLB should be hard, right?

I know many of you may not agree, but I don't think there's another pitching staff in the entire league that matches up with the Sox. Look at what Count, Freddy, Mark and now Garland have done this last week. Stepping up in big games, putting the whole team on their shoulders and saying let's go. :headbang

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
It's great to see and great preparation. Winning a division in MLB should be hard, right?

I know many of you may not agree, but I don't think there's another pitching staff in the entire league that matches up with the Sox. Look at what Count, Freddy, Mark and now Garland have done this last week. Stepping up in big games, putting the whole team on their shoulders and saying let's go.  :headbang

You are right, we are the only team in the AL that knows what our starting rotation is going to be come playoff time. I think we match up well with anybody. The only thing that remains to be seen, is did our pitching lapse when we were in Boston, or are they just that good that they could push around MB and Jon.

I was shaky about our chances because of the way we were playing before we got to Minn. I knew that if they kept losing it was over.

As far as the Minn series goes, I knew after Tuesday everything had changed. Everyone was jumping off the cliff because we lost yet again but I knew the sox were gonna come through. Tuesdays loss was personal, I knew they were gonna come back for some revenge. I think that is a very important part of our 2nd half struggles, if they keep pitching like this they will win the division.

Also, all those close games we won in the beginning of the season are different now, Cliffy isn't the same and neither is Hermy. Marte has been the same and Viz has improved. Hopefully we don't get in so many tight games anymore because our bullpen isn't in tip top shape.

It didn't hurt that Stewart and Jones were missing the last 2 games, although Jones wouldn't have faced Buerhle. And Hunter not playing was a break. The offense is going to have to come out of it. Its unlikely the pitching staff will hold playoff teams to 0 and 1 run every game or at least enough games to win each series. If they can get back to scoring 4 or 5 runs consistently it would take a huge load off of the pitchers.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
I don't mean to take anything away, but those Twins lineups were anything but threatening.  It may have been a playoff atmosphere, but it wasn't even close to a playoff opponent.

I see what you're saying, and I agree to a point.

While the offense is still inconsistent and Minny was missing a few key guys, you still have to like how the Sox battled back after a VERY tough loss. The play in the 9th yesterday could've been a killer, but the Sox kept fighting. Blum made a HUGE play adjusting his slide, and all around the Sox played pretty solid D.

There are still concerns for sure, but all in all there was a lot to like about that series.

Now, if the Sox could only play with the same intensity at home....