Officials Prepared To 'Wait Out' Suspected Robber

Queen Prawn

Man's Safe Removal From Home Is Agencies Joint Priority

VILLA PARK, Ill. -- A standoff involving a suspected bank robber continued Friday morning in a residential home at the edge of unincorporated Villa Park.

NBC5's Lisa Tutman reported that police are prepared for another long day at the scene as they wait out the man who is believed to be a former Marine.

A police chase Thursday afternoon ended with the suspect holing up inside the suburban home after forcing the residents out.

As the standoff neared the 24 hour mark, an FBI spokesman said that law enforcement agencies at the scene do not intend to do anything to force an altercation with the suspect.

"We're willing to wait him out," said special agent Frank Bochte. "We have the resources to wait him out, and it's going to be up to him."

Officials say the multiple agencies involved in the standoff have one over-riding priority.

"Our priority is to get that man out of that house safely," said Carol Roegner, of the DuPage County Sheriff's Department.

Authorities closed the surrounding streets in the area near North Avenue and Route 83 Friday morning and evacuated residents from area homes.

Police and SWAT teams, assisted by the FBI, surrounded the house where the man, thought to be wearing body armor, barricaded himself.

Roads closed in the area included southbound Route 83 from Interstate 290 to St. Charles, northbound Route 83 between St. Charles to North Avenue and eastbound North Avenue from Villa Road to Route 83.

Some residents in the area were frustrated by the lengthy standoff.

"I can't believe he's lasted that long. They should just go in there and get him out. They have a SWAT team here, go in there and get him out," resident John Knasko said.

"It just looks like a war zone," another resident, Suzanne Minford, told Tutman Friday morning. "You're wondering what's going on and it's amazing to see all these for one man that they're trying to capture with no hostage. It's scary."

Residents and police alike hope the situation ends with no injuries.

"I just feel real bad that someone would have to do that, and I just hope he makes it out ok, because there's always hope," said Branden Mathena.

NBC5 reported that the chase followed a bank robbery at The Harris Bank at 1000 S. La Grange Road at about 12:30 p.m. Police followed the suspect along Interstate 294, exchanging gunfire with the suspect.

Two officers were injured by flying glass in the return fire after the suspect hit two squad cars, NBC5 reported.

The chase ended in a parking lot at North Avenue and Route 83 in Villa Park, where witnesses said the man bailed out of his car and ran into a nearby house. The residents of the home fled, and the man stayed inside, not communicating with police until after 5 p.m. Friday when he picked up his cell phone, police said.

That communication was quickly terminated by the suspect, NBC5 reported.

Police used a bullhorn and telephone in continued attempts to contact the suspect inside.

A white Cadillac, with its windows shot out, was towed from the scene. Witnesses said that it was the car the suspect was driving when he bailed out and took off on foot.

A witness to part of the chase described what he saw.

"All the sudden we heard some sirens and this guy in a white Caddy came flying out of nowhere and blew into the parking lot. About seven or eight squads came flying out of nowhere and some guy in (a) tan Sable comes flying out, flak jackets on, the whole deal, and he came flying through the woods," the man, identified as Michael, said.

Detective Jim Williams, of the DuPage County Sheriff's Office, said that the man was not holding any hostages.

Police considered the man armed and very dangerous, NBC5 reported.

290 was screwed up last night with SB 83 being closed off.

"I can't believe he's lasted that long. They should just go in there and get him out. They have a SWAT team here, go in there and get him out," resident John Knasko said.

hey dickhead, why don't you go in and get him out? If the police can protect the public without the risk of a gun battle inside the house, then I'd wait also.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
hey dickhead, why don't you go in and get him out? If the police can protect the public without the risk of a gun battle inside the house, then I'd wait also.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'Tis not contrary to reason to prefer the destruction of the whole world to the scratching of my finger. -David Hume