Nomar at 3rd

Kenkait Sox Fan

QUOTE(Kenkait Sox Fan @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Since Nomar is making is 1st ever start at 3rd Base today, is this a possible replacement for Crede for the last 6 weeks in a trade to give Nomar the shot at the World Series he missed in Boston?

Intriguing...most intriguing. I'd be shocked if this guy stays healthy for even the last month of the season. Shame, too. So much talent.

QUOTE(Kenkait Sox Fan @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Since Nomar is making is 1st ever start at 3rd Base today, is this a possible replacement for Crede for the last 6 weeks in a trade to give Nomar the shot at the World Series he missed in Boston?

My guess would be no, but i do believe that Nomar still got a ring after he was traded.

QUOTE(Kenkait Sox Fan @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)

He made an error on his first attempt today...and he was a bad SS...so, no thanks. Oh yeah, and he can't stay healthy at all.

Why would you even suggest this?

Uribe could play 3B... start Nomar at SS..

Besides that why would the Cubs trade him to us..

And what the hell is he doing playing SS in the first place...

First they ruin Corey Patterson by trying to make him a leadoff hitter and now this... They have way too big of a habit of trying to fit the square pegs in the round hole...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
Besides that why would the Cubs trade him to us..

Oh, I don't know. Because we'd be able to offer a very solid package, and there are no ill effects from a trade due to the teams only playing 6 games against each other during interleague play. Not like it's KC or Minnesota where they are trading us a guy that is not only hurting themselves by helping an opponent, but also by helping that opponent that is playing them 19 times during the year.

You say that like the teams would never make a trade.

I don't see Nomar coming here...way too much of a risk, and there is just no need for him with his pricetag being as high as it inevitably is. I don't want him at all.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Oh, I don't know.  Because we'd be able to offer a very solid package, and there are no ill effects from a trade due to the teams only playing 6 games against each other during interleague play.  Not like it's KC or Minnesota where they are trading us a guy that is not only hurting themselves by helping an opponent, but also by helping that opponent that is playing them 19 times during the year.

You say that like the teams would never make a trade.

I don't see Nomar coming here...way too much of a risk, and there is just no need for him with his pricetag being as high as it inevitably is.  I don't want him at all.

The Cubs would be lucky to get a bucket of balls for Nomar at this point. he is the biggest health questionmark in the league right now. Unless Nomar has another .330 year next year with 30+ homeruns and 100+ RBI, I really dont see him signing any huge contracts anymore.

If the White Sox attempted to acquire Nomar for one player, I would be pissed. If the White Sox offered a package for Nomar, I would be furious.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
The Cubs would be lucky to get a bucket of balls for Nomar at this point.  he is the biggest health questionmark in the league right now.  Unless Nomar has another .330 year next year with 30+ homeruns and 100+ RBI, I really dont see him signing any huge contracts anymore. 

If the White Sox attempted to acquire Nomar for one player, I would be pissed.  If the White Sox offered a package for Nomar, I would be furious.

What if the one player was timo?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
The Cubs would be lucky to get a bucket of balls for Nomar at this point.  he is the biggest health questionmark in the league right now.  Unless Nomar has another .330 year next year with 30+ homeruns and 100+ RBI, I really dont see him signing any huge contracts anymore. 

If the White Sox attempted to acquire Nomar for one player, I would be pissed.  If the White Sox offered a package for Nomar, I would be furious.

He has had 30+ homers only twice in his career and that was quite a while ago. I don't see it happening again any time soon.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
What if the one player was timo?

timo may catch alot of s*** on this board, but Timo has played more games in the past 2 years than Nomar has. I would be pissed if the Sox traded Matt Smith for nomar, much less Timo Perez

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Wow!  Talk about overexaggerating.  If you really would be upset if the Sox traded Matt Smith for Nomar,  :chair

is that a personal attack? Im not sure you should be pretend-hitting me with a chair. I live vicariously through smileys.

it wasnt so much an overexageration as it was a point. I dont really think Nomar's positives outweigh his negatives anymore. Of course, anyone can have a comeback in their career. i just dont think Nomar is worth much at this point, and the Cubs should have to live with his contract.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)

is that a personal attack?  Im not sure you should be pretend-hitting me with a chair.  I live vicariously through smileys.

it wasnt so much an overexageration as it was a point.  I dont really think Nomar's positives outweigh his negatives anymore. Of course, anyone can have a comeback in their career.  i just dont think Nomar is worth much at this point, and the Cubs should have to live with his contract.

His contract could have been a lot worse to deal with. While I would gladly take Nomar's bat in our lineup, he's just so unreliable right now. No one has mentioned that he had bad back spasms now. It's a shame...he was a great player until he started going after the rat.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
It's an intriguing idea even if he just plays DH for us.  If he's available & we can get him sure why not?  You're only on the hook for what he's owed this year.

I'd rather have Todd Walker.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)

A bucket of balls for a career .320 hitter? Career .913 OPS? I don't think so. His value has diminished tremendously over the past 2 years, but just his career averages will make him attractive to many, many teams.

He's a health risk...I've never said he wasn't. Then again, Ken Griffey Jr's a health risk, and the Sox have been after him like a bear looking for food. Jermaine Dye was a health risk, and that didn't stop the Sox from going after him. Dye is not nearly as injury prone as Griffey was, and is showing no signs of injury proneness whatsoever this year, with the exception of a tweaked back.

He won't command multiple solid prospects...but he would command atleast a very solid prospect, and perhaps even a fringe prospect type. If he gets hot, and stays healthy for a stretch of time, he can carry a team offensively. Have him DH, and hope he gets hot...there is nothing wrong with that.

All that being said...I too do not wish for the White Sox to look at him ever. It would take a lot of investment, and the risk will almost undoubtedly outweigh the reward...a case where it the reward would be greater would be if the Sox had to give up, oh say, Matt Smith for Nomar :P