The End of Hutch?

According to the Sun - Times from this reporter, and Rotoworld;

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-mully27.html

Chad Hutchinson could be released today.

Hutchinson went 3-for-14 with two interceptions Friday and had a 0.00 quarterback rating. The team might elect to go with Jeff Blake at the start of the season, while rookie Kyle Orton eases into the role as the season progresses. Aug. 27 - 7:45 am et

And not good news on Benson either;

Cedric Benson returned to Austin, Texas unsigned after meeting with Bears manangement Friday.

Benson's holdout is now 34 days old. The Bears have threatened to only lower their offer guaranteeing roughly $17 million until he signs. Aug. 27 - 7:53 am et

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it appears like hutch has 0 to offer us. dude has flat out sucked. orton should start. blake and kittner definitely looked no worse than hutch.

on the benson front, let the f***er rot till next years draft. i don't think to many bears fans wanted us to draft him anyway (example :D ). tj and a.pete looked just fine to me.

Benson's agent talks with Angelo

August 27, 2005

Cedric Benson is back in Texas, and his real-estate agent can do the work from here on out.

The Bears' No. 4 draft pick returned to his home state after meeting with general manager Jerry Angelo on Thursday afternoon. Although his agent, Eugene Parker, spoke with contract negotiator Cliff Stein on Friday, their discussions were of no substance and no progress was made in bringing the only remaining unsigned first-round pick to terms on Day 34 of the impasse. It's at least a positive that they spoke. Before Thursday, Parker and the team had gone 11 days without communicating.

It's difficult to say what the next move is for Benson. Putting his Lake County house on the market could have been a last-ditch negotiating ploy. The Bears have remained steadfast that the current five-year offer, with $16 million to $17 million guaranteed, is their "best and final.'' No new proposals have been exchanged, and Angelo has threatened to lower the club's offer, but has not provided a timetable for such tactics.

The Bears have only three full practices before their exhibition finale Thursday against the Cleveland Browns. If he doesn't report in the next few days, Benson is bound to start the regular season on the bottom of the depth chart.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
Of course remember if the Bears take Williams (and they have sort of a clone of him in Justin Gage), they wouldn't of selected Bradley in the 2nd round.

Mike Williams > Bradley

Justin Gage couldn't catch the one good throw Hutch made yesterday.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
Mike Williams > Bradley

Justin Gage couldn't catch the one good throw Hutch made yesterday.

And it's gonna be hard for Williams to make any type of impact with the QB situation the way it is now. At least IF Benson signs, you can pound the ball with him and Jones around 40 times a game.

The Bears will have the #1 defense in the NFL this season. On paper if you look at the D, it has the ability, comming into the season I felt they had a great defense and now after watching the first 4 preseason games. I'm positive this a top 3 defense, if they can stay healthy, #1.

A. Brown, Scott/Boone/Johnson, Harris (Future Pro-Bowl DT), Ogunleye (beast)

Briggs (great compliment to Brian), Urlacher (4 time Pro-bowler, it's unbelievable how people question his abilities), Hillenmeyer

Tillman (Future Pro-Bowl CB, just ask Randy Moss), M. Brown (All-Pro SS, emotional leader of the D), M. Green (Extremely underrated, just look at his career stats), Azumah/Vasher

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
I haven't been following the Bears...

But what on earth is Benson's problem...

Only 17 million over 5 years... never having done jack s*** on an NFL field before.... POOR FREAKEN' BABY!!!!

I'm not even a Bears fan and s*** like this pisses me off...

He wants what the #4 pick last year got.

My depth chart would look something like:

1) Blake

2) Kittner

3) Orton

Let's actually do this thing the right way. Groom Orton for a year and let him compete for the starting job in 06'-07'.

Sorry, fellas, but he ain't going to have a year like Big Ben in Pittsburgh.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
It's funny how Angelo's 3rd-6 round picks are always more quality than his 1st or 2nd rounders.

2001:

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

1 8 David Terrell WR Michigan :puke

2 38 Anthony Thomas RB Michigan :mellow:

3 68 Mike Gandy G Notre Dame

4 103 Karon Riley DE Minnesota

5 138 Bernard Robertson T Tulane

7 208 John Capel WR Florida

2002:

1 29 Marc Colombo T Boston College :puke

3 72 Roosevelt Williams CB Tuskegee :puke

3 93 Terrence Metcalf G Mississippi

4 104 Alex Brown DE Florida:)

5 140 Bobby Gray SS Louisiana Tech

5 165 Bryan Knight OLB Pittsburgh

6 199 Adrian Peterson RB Georgia Southern:)

6 203 Jamin Elliott WR Delaware

6 210 Bryan Fletcher TE UCLA

2003:

1 14 Michael Haynes DE Penn State :mellow:

1 22 Rex Grossman QB Florida :mellow:

2 35 Charles Tillman CB Louisiana-Lafayette:)

3 68 Lance Briggs OLB Arizona:)

4 100 Todd Johnson FS Florida

4 116 Ian Scott DT Florida :)

5 139 Bobby Wade WR Arizona :)

5 143 Justin Gage WR Missouri :)

5 171 Tron LaFavor DT Florida

6 191 Joe Odom OLB Purdue

6 206 Brock Forsey RB Boise State

7 261 Bryan Anderson G Pittsburgh

2004:

1 14 Tommie Harris DT Oklahoma:)

2 47 Terry Johnson NT Washington :huh

3 78 Bernard Berrian WR Fresno State :huh

4 110 Nathan Vasher CB Texas:)

4 112 Leon Joe OLB Maryland

5 147 Claude Harriott DE Pittsburgh

5 148 Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State

7 215 Alfonso Marshall DB Miami

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The '01 draft was absolutely retched, nobody good came out of that draft, except maybe A-Train for 1 season.

The '03 draft appears to be his best, with the jury still out on Wade and Gage. Briggs, Tillman and Scott are all starting on defense and producing.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
My depth chart would look something like:

1) Blake

2) Kittner

3) Orton

Let's actually do this thing the right way.  Groom Orton for a year and let him compete for the starting job in 06'-07'.

Sorry, fellas, but he ain't going to have a year like Big Ben in Pittsburgh.

No way in hell I start Blake, just because of his performance yesterday. He looked like absolute s*** to me and he kept smiling which pissed me off. Lets just go for it with Orton, most people don't feel that we're going to compete this season anyway, why not have the best QB go out there and play. He may be a rookie and he's going to make mistakes but he appears to be the best quarterback on the team right now.

If they start Blake I won't be upset but I'd much rather see Orton.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
No way in hell I start Blake, just because of his performance yesterday. He looked like absolute s*** to me and he kept smiling which pissed me off. Lets just go for it with Orton, most people don't feel that we're going to compete this season anyway, why not have the best QB go out there and play. He may be a rookie and he's going to make mistakes but he appears to be the best quarterback on the team right now.

If they start Blake I won't be upset but I'd much rather see Orton.

No. No. No. :headshake

You do NOT start rookie QBs in the NFL unless they are primed for Hall of Fame careers. After Ben's season last year, everyone thinks it's ok to start rookie QBs. Well, it's not. Ben's size and refined talent last year made him a good candidate to start some ballgames, but the Steelers still started the season with Maddox at #1 on the chart. Ben was a rare exception. No rookie quarterback ever put up the numbers Ben did in the history of the NFL. The last rookie quarterback to ever suceed like that before Ben was a guy the went by the name of Dan Marino.

GROOM ORTON!!!!

Luckily, this is exactly what I think the Bears will be doing. Blake should be the starter and Orton should take some time to learn how the NFL works.

Unless the Bears OL turns into the St. Louis Rams version of the early 2000's, Kyle Orton would probably get killed in his 1st season ALA David Carr if they chucked him into the fire. I don't think they'll take that chance, at least not straight away.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:07 AM)
Is it bad if I was hoping Hutch would suck? :huh:

I just hate the guy and he sucks and I did not want him to start.  If he started the opening game I will be pissed.

Well to sum it up in my view, he's pretty much a "Poor Man's Drew Bledsoe", which is quite sad for both players really.

Really for him, the worst thing that happened was Bill Parcells becoming the coach. Late 2002-03, he was starting under Dave Campo and actually had some good games with 300+ passing yardage IIRC. Then Parcells came in, and he lost the TC comp with Quincy Carter. That killed him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
The Bears will have the #1 defense in the NFL this season. On paper if you look at the D, it has the ability, comming into the season I felt they had a great defense and now after watching the first 4 preseason games. I'm positive this a top 3 defense, if they can stay healthy, #1.

A. Brown, Scott/Boone/Johnson, Harris (Future Pro-Bowl DT), Ogunleye (beast)

Briggs (great compliment to Brian), Urlacher (4 time Pro-bowler, it's unbelievable how people question his abilities), Hillenmeyer

Tillman (Future Pro-Bowl CB, just ask Randy Moss), M. Brown (All-Pro SS, emotional leader of the D), M. Green (Extremely underrated, just look at his career stats), Azumah/Vasher

:cheers

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
No. No. No. :headshake

You do NOT start rookie QBs in the NFL unless they are primed for Hall of Fame careers.  After Ben's season last year, everyone thinks it's ok to start rookie QBs.  Well, it's not.  Ben's size and refined talent last year made him a good candidate to start some ballgames, but the Steelers still started the season with Maddox at #1 on the chart.  Ben was a rare exception.  No rookie quarterback ever put up the numbers Ben did in the history of the NFL.  The last rookie quarterback to ever suceed like that before Ben was a guy the went by the name of Dan Marino.

GROOM ORTON!!!!

Luckily, this is exactly what I think the Bears will be doing.  Blake should be the starter and Orton should take some time to learn how the NFL works.

I could care less about Rothlesburger.

We have three possible starters right now. Hutchinson, who sucks major ass and would most likely hold a sub 30 QB rating for the season, plus go down around week 3 after getting destroyed on a blitz seeing how he has NO feeling in the pocket at all. He couldn't dodge a rush to save his life. Jeff Blake, who we signed a week ago and sucks almost as bad as Hutch, except is about 3000x the jackass. Orton gives this team the best chance to win. He's a rookie, oh well, so let's groom him like every other QB we've groomed. I just don't give a s***, the O-line will keep him safe to an extent. He'd be starting by week 7 as is, Hutch will be going down this year early and Blake will either be extremely bad or be a total tool and get pulled. Orton will be starting this year, it's just a matter of when.

Usually when you keep a rookie QB on the bench to groom him you have a serviceable veteran QB to start while the rookie watches from the sidelines. This is a unique case in which the rookie is probably the best quarterback on the team.

Not only does Orton NOT put you in the best position to win ballgames, but you risk screwing up what looks to be a future NFL starter. Rarely do rookie QBs put you in the best position to win ballgames and this is no exception. Hell, the Niners are starting Tim f***ing Rattay over consensus #1 selection Alex Smith. Is Alex Smith more talented than Rattay? Absolutely. Does he stand a good chance of getting killed behind that OL and suffer a 2-3 year set-back as a result? Yes. Alex Smith is their future. Likewise, it would appear Orton is the Bears future signal-caller. You do not put these kids out there to get killed.

Let's face it, the Bears are going NOWHERE this season. Nowhere. Putting Orton out there does nothing more than risk injury, confidence, and maturation set-backs. Let the kid watch the NFL from the sideline for a year, get in there for a few snaps and compete for the job next season.

The Bears are not in a situation where they HAVE to play the rookie QB...so why do it? To finish with 4 wins on the year? No thanks.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Not only does Orton NOT put you in the best position to win ballgames, but you risk screwing up what looks to be a future NFL starter.  Rarely do rookie QBs put you in the best position to win ballgames and this is no exception.  Hell, the Niners are starting Tim f***ing Rattay over consensus #1 selection Alex Smith.  Is Alex Smith more talented than Rattay?  Absolutely.  Does he stand a good chance of getting killed behind that OL and suffer a 2-3 year set-back as a result?  Yes.  Alex Smith is their future.  Likewise, it would appear Orton is the Bears future signal-caller.  You do not put these kids out there to get killed. 

Let's face it, the Bears are going NOWHERE this season.  Nowhere.  Putting Orton out there does nothing more than risk injury, confidence, and maturation set-backs.  Let the kid watch the NFL from the sideline for a year, get in there for a few snaps and compete for the job next season. 

The Bears are not in a situation where they HAVE to play the rookie QB...so why do it?  To finish with 4 wins on the year?  No thanks.

The Bears could easily win 4 with Hutch. Staying healthy with Hutch/Blake gives them 6-7. Hutch gives them a outside shot at the playoffs...JMO.