The End of Hutch?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:26 AM)
As long as Orton is servicable than the Bears will win 8-10 games.  This team isn't built around the QB.  It's built around the run and their defense.

I'll remember this statement. Sorry but I think anything more than 6-7 wins is probably out of the question. You at least need some resemblance of offense to be successful to keep that defense off the field and fresh.

Orton's probably going to struggle. How many rookie QB's besides Ben Roest... have come in and succeeded straight away? David Carr didn't. Joey Harrington didn't. It doesn't help that the Bears OL isn't in the top half of the league in protection as well.

Getting Benson signed is a start though. They need to pound the ball with him as much as possible, get those 3rd and short situations, to make it possible for Orton to get those completions.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
its like playing the lottery.

maybe they've found a diamond in the rough.

oh wait, they're the bears........nevermind

Bears or not, they found a 1st round talent in the 4th round of the draft. Can you say steal of the draft?

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
over/under 4 starting QB's for the bears this season im going to go with under . I think orton s going to be average and will be are starter all season.

I agree with your assessment, and if you're setting the over/under at 4, I'd take under any day of the week. Even "QB carousel" Spurrier only used 3 in his 1st year in Washington.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
There's about a 1% chance Orton does anything of substance this year.

I have to disagree with that. He's got just about everything you want in a QB. He's calm in the pocket and can throw just about any ball exactly where it needs to be and when it needs to be there.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
I just hope people are expecting 2 much from Orton,  He is not only a rookie but a late round rookie so to expect 2 much from him is just asking to be dissapointed.  I just want him to keep defenses honest and not be pathetic like Hutchinson and the rest of the crew of QB's from last year.

He may be a rookie, but to discount him because he was drafted in the later rounds is absurd. He was an absolute steal in the 4th round and I think he'll do well this season. Does that mean a 4000 yard 30 TD season? Probably not, but don't be suprised if he's efficient, and helps the Bears offense score a lot more points this season.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
I have to disagree with that. He's got just about everything you want in a QB. He's calm in the pocket and can throw just about any ball exactly where it needs to be and when it needs to be there.

I clarified my statement about 3 posts later.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Along with clearifying it, you also clarified it.  So that's good...

I'm sorry, I had to...  :D

We've gone over this, I'll use proper grammar and spelling about 95% of the time. However, that 5% will include some major suckage and butchering of the english language.

I hate spelling s*** wrong, especilly words that obvious. :angry:

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:59 AM)
Bears or not, they found a 1st round talent in the 4th round of the draft. Can you say steal of the draft?

I agree with your assessment, and if you're setting the over/under at 4, I'd take under any day of the week. Even "QB carousel" Spurrier only used 3 in his 1st year in Washington.

He may be a rookie, but to discount him because he was drafted in the later rounds is absurd. He was an absolute steal in the 4th round and I think he'll do well this season. Does that mean a 4000 yard 30 TD season? Probably not, but don't be suprised if he's efficient, and helps the Bears offense score a lot more points this season.

You seem to be expecting a lot from Orton and just setting yourself up to be dissapointed. Has he looked good in pre-season... yes but thats against almost all the time vs the 2nd team defense and with miami it was the 3rd team defense.... Like I said as long as he keeps defenses honest and not stacking the line against the run we should be good.

I have kind of high hopes but im not trying to set my expectations 2 high just to see him be a bust.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
You seem to be expecting a lot from Orton and just setting yourself up to be dissapointed.  Has he looked good in pre-season... yes but thats against almost all the time vs the 2nd team defense and with miami it was the 3rd team defense.... Like I said as long as he keeps defenses honest and not stacking the line against the run we should be good.

I have kind of high hopes but im not trying to set my expectations 2 high just to see him be a bust.

Well, all the opinions you read there are from a Colts fan who also happens to be a Purdue fan. I watched Kyle a lot, and IMO he's a very good, very smart QB. Will that translate into an all-pro year? Well, even I don't think he's the next Marino, but he'll be a lot more successful than the average rookie QB IMO.