The End of Hutch?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Not only does Orton NOT put you in the best position to win ballgames, but you risk screwing up what looks to be a future NFL starter.  Rarely do rookie QBs put you in the best position to win ballgames and this is no exception.  Hell, the Niners are starting Tim f***ing Rattay over consensus #1 selection Alex Smith.  Is Alex Smith more talented than Rattay?  Absolutely.  Does he stand a good chance of getting killed behind that OL and suffer a 2-3 year set-back as a result?  Yes.  Alex Smith is their future.  Likewise, it would appear Orton is the Bears future signal-caller.  You do not put these kids out there to get killed. 

Let's face it, the Bears are going NOWHERE this season.  Nowhere.  Putting Orton out there does nothing more than risk injury, confidence, and maturation set-backs.  Let the kid watch the NFL from the sideline for a year, get in there for a few snaps and compete for the job next season. 

The Bears are not in a situation where they HAVE to play the rookie QB...so why do it?  To finish with 4 wins on the year?  No thanks.

1.) I do not buy into the hype that this team cannot win.

2.) Tim Rattay would start on this Bears team. He's better than all four of our QBs right now, if we had him, I'd want him to start.

All I'm saying is that he's going to start this year sooner or later, I'd much rather have it be sooner rather than later. But in the end we'll see what happens when the season starts, all we can really do right now is wait and see.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Can I ask, looking back at the Benson issue now, who would you have drafted at #4 instead? Carnell Williams? Mike Williams? Aaron Rodgers?

No doubt Mike Williams. He was the closest thing to a sure-fire contributor in the draft. I was pissed when they got Benson. He reminded me too much of Ricky Williams. He's supposed to be a lot like him.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
1.) I do not buy into the hype that this team cannot win.

2.) Tim Rattay would start on this Bears team. He's better than all four of our QBs right now, if we had him, I'd want him to start.

All I'm saying is that he's going to start this year sooner or later, I'd much rather have it be sooner rather than later. But in the end we'll see what happens when the season starts, all we can really do right now is wait and see.

If Orton is named the Bears starter for Week 1, I'll set up a web cam and eat my hat.

The Bears organization knows what they have to do. You groom young, promising QBs. That's what you do. Period.

It won't happen. I'm also just as sure this Bears team--complete with the #1 defense in the National Football League :banghead :banghead :headshake --cannot win.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
It won't happen.  I'm also just as sure this Bears team--complete with the #1 defense in  the National Football League :banghead  :banghead  :headshake --cannot win.

Really? Here's my logic behind being a solid team...

Subtractions

David Terell :lolhitting

Anothony Thomas

R.W. Mcquarters - biggest loss

Additions

Muhsin Muhammad - a no doubt #1 wideout

Fred Miller - a solid tackle

Roberto Garza - a serviceable guard

Doug Brien - an upgrade at K

Mark Bradley - will occasionally tribute at WR

Maybe Cedric Benson

A real offensive coordinator

Missed significant time with injury

Adewale Ogunleye - missed 4 games, battled injuries

Jerry Azumah - missed 4 games

Charles Tillman - misses 8 games

Brian Urlacher - missed 7 games

Mike Brown - missed 14 games

^those are all BIG contributors

Edited by WHarris1

Primarily, we need our quarterback to be able to get the ball to Muhammad. Freaking Jake Delhomme looked like a real NFL QB for two seasons because he was able to do that. Hutch can't do that. Maybe Blake can, but I'm confident that Orton can at least do that. It's low expectations, really. We have to start with Orton.

Might as well throw Orton to the wolves and see how he does in the regular season. Blake can step in and be mediocre if he has to.

Hutchinson hasn't really shown me that he can do anything that Kittner can't do.

Of course, that's not saying much.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
The difference is, the Pats never dubbed him the QB of the future.

He was supposed to be a serviceable backup QB, nothing more.

The point I'm trying to make is you don't know what you have until you throw em out there.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
He was probably in shock.

Maybe he was lol didnt he catch 2 passes from Orton on our TD drive.

And as far as who I would of rather drafted since Edwards was taken b4 us id go after DJ. I knew he fell all the way to 15 but he is a great LB and with him we have one of the best LB crew in the NFL.

Finally as long as Hutch isnt the starter im ok. Jeff Blake didnt look that great out there yesterday but he was rusty and he has talent. He is definitely better than Hutch but im still liking Orton. One of the biggest reasons Roethlesburger or howevr you spell it was successful was because Pitts was a big running team and if Benson gets into camp we can also be a big running team with Benson/Jones.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
Idonno if they should actually release Hutchinson or just demote him to 3rd string... he is still better than Krenzel or Quinn were last year.

I think Turner is too in love with Kittner to let Hutchinson stay on the roster.

The Bears will have the #1 defense in the NFL this season. On paper if you look at the D, it has the ability, comming into the season I felt they had a great defense and now after watching the first 4 preseason games. I'm positive this a top 3 defense, if they can stay healthy, #1.

A. Brown, Scott/Boone/Johnson, Harris (Future Pro-Bowl DT), Ogunleye (beast)

Briggs (great compliment to Brian), Urlacher (4 time Pro-bowler, it's unbelievable how people question his abilities), Hillenmeyer

Tillman (Future Pro-Bowl CB, just ask Randy Moss), M. Brown (All-Pro SS, emotional leader of the D), M. Green (Extremely underrated, just look at his career stats), Azumah/Vasher

NO WAY.

We'll be good, but not that good.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:32 AM)
NO WAY.

We'll be good, but not that good.

Idonno a lot of it depends on the offense. If they can not turn the ball over and put the opposing team in scoring distance our defense has the ability to dominate. While being on the field twice as long as our Offense in the 1st half the Bills could not make a scoring drive until the 3rd quarter and that was only a fg.

And thats saying something because the Bills have a pretty decent O... good WR group of Moulds, Evans, and Reed... good RB in McGahee, decent QB in Losman.