letsgoarow

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure there probably were plenty of scientists who at one point would have said it would be impossible to put the kinds of times up in the 400 that Michael Johnson did several years ago, or even the 4 minute mile before anyone reached it.

Also, Jenks is not quite what I would call your "average" human being. The guy is simply a horse.

BTW, I remember JR Richard. Man he was scary. He pretty much matched Nolan Ryan for speed, usually in the 99-100 range, but the guy was tall. That pitch came down at you :o

SFF

As Juggs said, it's not the 102 mph pitch that gets ya, it's the Gacker he throws. He made Lew Ford look like a b**** with the three he hurled. If you have it in the back of your head that a 100 mph fastball could be coming and this 87-95 mph curve comes at ya, you gawn. 100 mph fastballs, on their own, don't do much of anything for a pitcher unless there is movement on it or an awesome off-speed pitch (see: Matt Anderson, Kyle Farnsworth).

the double that Sexson hit...that will come with experience. As he pitches more and faces more batters, he'll begin to know their hot zones.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Oh,man!!!!

Bobby is a keeper!If you can throw 100 or 102,that's Nolan Ryan-like stuff you possess!But now this creates a debate.

Hermanson or Jenks?

No debate. Hermanson is the closer now and Bobby is the closer of the future, period.

I was there in Seattle and saw him do this. I heard comments from peple tghat they had never witnessed a pitcher throw 100 plus MPH before. I think he is still learning though since Richie Sexson took him to right field for a hit, but it might have been a lucky swing too. Jenks is good!

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Oh,man!!!!

Bobby is a keeper!If you can throw 100 or 102,that's Nolan Ryan-like stuff you possess!But now this creates a debate.

Hermanson or Jenks?

Makes you really appreciate Nolan Ryan, doesn't it? Think about it. Nolan threw 100mph Jenks type heat as a starter and pitched many seasons over a long career. Add to that the fact that he went very deep into games, many times going well beyond 100 pitches a game. I recall reading that when he set the season strikeout record (383 :o ) he needed one last strikeout in his last game to eclipse Koufax, and went into extra innings with well over 100 pitches to do it. Incredible. Just incredible.

LT

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Makes you really appreciate Nolan Ryan, doesn't it?  Think about it.  Nolan threw 100mph Jenks type heat as a starter and pitched many seasons over a long career.  Add to that the fact that he went very deep into games, many times going well beyond 100 pitches a game.  I recall reading that when he set the season strikeout record (383 :o ) he needed one last strikeout in his last game to eclipse Koufax, and went into extra innings with well over 100 pitches to do it.  Incredible.  Just incredible.

LT

He was also only 32 games over .500 in his career :P