Rapper Shot

Texsox

Suge Knight Shot at Miami Beach Party

Aug 28 3:09 AM US/Eastern

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY

Associated Press Writer

MIAMI BEACH, Fla.

Rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight was shot in the leg early Sunday during a party hosted by Grammy-winning hip hop artist Kanye West, police said.

Knight, 40, was hospitalized in good condition, police said. He was shot during a celebrity-studded party at the Shore Club, one of the many celebrations in Miami Beach ahead of the MTV Video Music Awards scheduled Sunday night, said Miami Beach Police Officer Bobby Hernandez.

Sonja Mauro, a guest at the club, said a shot in the party's VIP section rang out shortly before 1 a.m.

"I was in there and I heard a pop and I ran out and got trampled," she said.

People attending the party began screaming and running for the doors, she said.

Knight co-founded the pioneering rap label Death Row Records and hit the charts in the 1990s with West Coast stars including Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur.

Knight was convicted in 1992 of assault and weapons violations and was placed on probation. In 1996, he was jailed for five years for violating probation after he and several associates, including Shakur, were recorded on videotape beating a gang rival at a Las Vegas hotel. Shakur was later shot to death in Las Vegas.

Relatives of slain rapper Notorious B.I.G. have also accused Knight of involvement in B.I.G.'s death, though police have never named Knight as a suspect.

Knight continues to operate his label, now called Tha Row.

Personally I find it funny when rappers are the victims of violence. All they want to sing ( and I use that term VERY freely ) about is abusing women, killing cops, dealing drugs and anything else thats wrong and depraved so when something like bad happens to them I consider it poetic justice.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
All they want to sing ( and I use that term VERY freely ) about is abusing women, killing cops, dealing drugs and anything else thats wrong and depraved so when something like bad happens to them I consider it poetic justice.

OMG, stop the presses, hell froze over, Nuke and I have agreed twice in one year :cheers

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
Personally I find it funny when rappers are the victims of violence.  All they want to sing ( and I use that term VERY freely ) about is abusing women, killing cops, dealing drugs and anything else thats wrong and depraved so when something like bad happens to them I consider it poetic justice.

That is an EPIC post.

Truly epic. :cheers

Personally I find it funny when rappers are the victims of violence.  All they want to sing ( and I use that term VERY freely ) about is abusing women, killing cops, dealing drugs and anything else thats wrong and depraved so when something like bad happens to them I consider it poetic justice.

not true for all rappers. Listen to OutKast, Public Enemy, LL Cool J, and others. Actually Gangsta Rap was originally designed to bring awarness to all the bad things that were happening in the Ghetto.

I find it funny too. f*** these guys. How many of these guys are former drug dealers, gang members, etc? Plenty. Hopefully they all shoot each other.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
not true for all rappers.  Listen to OutKast, Public Enemy, LL Cool J, and others.  Actually Gangsta Rap was originally designed to bring awarness to all the bad things that were happening in the Ghetto.

Outkast is more hip-hop than rap. And i dont really think LL Cool J was considered Gangsta Rap either.

Suge Knight is nothing but a bully who has been in the right place at the right time all too often(business-wise). I watched the Documentary about Death Row Records(the life and death of death row). What an eye opener, absolutely scary s*** went down in that place.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
Suge Knight is nothing but a bully who has been in the right place at the right time all too often(business-wise).  I watched the Documentary about Death Row Records(the life and death of death row).  What an eye opener, absolutely scary s*** went down in that place.

Laying on the couch with a hangover one Sunday afternoon the remote fell off the table and being too lazy to get up to pick it up.. I watched that also. Scary is right. Extremely sad to see that harmless little child grow up into what he is today.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
not true for all rappers.  Listen to OutKast, Public Enemy, LL Cool J, and others.  Actually Gangsta Rap was originally designed to bring awarness to all the bad things that were happening in the Ghetto.

Ghetto Boys were about bringing awareness to something??? Man...don't know what to say about that.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Laying on the couch with a hangover one Sunday afternoon the remote fell off the table and being too lazy to get up to pick it up.. I watched that also. Scary is right. Extremely sad to see that harmless little child grow up into what he is today.

You know their shady lawyer, David Kenner? Currently, that guy represents Maurice Clarett. When you think about all the bad decisions Clarett has made in the past 3 years, it all sort of makes sense.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Outkast is more hip-hop than rap.  And i dont really think LL Cool J was considered Gangsta Rap either. 

Suge Knight is nothing but a bully who has been in the right place at the right time all too often(business-wise).  I watched the Documentary about Death Row Records(the life and death of death row).  What an eye opener, absolutely scary s*** went down in that place.

from what i've heard of him, big boi's a good MC, which means he raps, and he's been a pretty important part of outkast over the years. just cuz andre 3000 wants to be prince doesn't mean outkast isn't (or wasn't, anyway) rap. the term "hip hop" pretty much assumes rap anyway, as i understand it.

also, the attitudes about hip hop in this thread aren't really fair. the violent, thuggish hacks that compose most of mainstream hip hop are a small minority. there are, like, a kajillion hip hop artists outside of the dozen or so that get regular radio/MTV rotation, and plenty of them deal with issues other than violence, misogyny, etc. just thought i should put that out there.

and no, suge knight has never rhymed.

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
from what i've heard of him, big boi's a good MC, which means he raps, and he's been a pretty important part of outkast over the years. just cuz andre 3000 wants to be prince doesn't mean outkast isn't (or wasn't, anyway) rap. the term "hip hop" pretty much assumes rap anyway, as i understand it.

also, the attitudes about hip hop in this thread aren't really fair. the violent, thuggish hacks that compose most of mainstream hip hop are a small minority. there are, like, a kajillion hip hop artists outside of the dozen or so that get regular radio/MTV rotation, and plenty of them deal with issues other than violence, misogyny, etc. just thought i should put that out there.

and no, suge knight has never rhymed.

You dont see a difference in Hip Hop and Gangsta Rap? Just because Big Boi and Andre 3000 can rap, doesnt mean they are Gangsta rappers which is what i was saying. In fact, many songs that Outkast and Jurassic 5 perform completely rip on Gansta rappers and their songs.

The attitudes in this thread are not against Hip hop, they are against Gangsta Rap. The violent, thuggish "hacks" may only make up a small percentage of what is out there(doubtful), but alot of the mainstream rappers came from that background. Ludacris, 50 Cent, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, even Bone Thugs n Harmony could be considered among this group, even though alot of these guys are considered fakes because their background wasnt tough enough for the critics. The MTV generation likes the violence and thuggery, and they have a big say in top 40, whether we like it or not.

I, for one, love Jurassic 5, GURU, Common, Mos Def, Outkast, etc. And you will never hear me calling them rappers just because they can flow.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
You dont see a difference in Hip Hop and Gangsta Rap? Just because Big Boi and Andre 3000 can rap, doesnt mean they are Gangsta rappers which is what i was saying. In fact, many songs that Outkast and Jurassic 5 perform completely rip on Gansta rappers and their songs. 

The attitudes in this thread are not against Hip hop, they are against Gangsta Rap. The violent, thuggish "hacks" may only make up a small percentage of what is out there(doubtful), but alot of the mainstream rappers came from that background. Ludacris, 50 Cent, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, even Bone Thugs n Harmony could be considered among this group, even though alot of these guys are considered fakes because their background wasnt tough enough for the critics.  The MTV generation likes the violence and thuggery, and they have a big say in top 40, whether we like it or not.

I, for one, love Jurassic 5, GURU, Common, Mos Def, Outkast, etc. And you will never hear me calling them rappers just because they can flow.

you said, "outkast is more hip hop than rap." that's what i was responding to. if you'd've said, "outkast is more hip hop than gangsta rap," then i'd've had no quarrel. cuz yes, all those acts you name rap: the rap is the vocal line of a hip hop song. thus common sense and all the rest are absolutely rappers. they MC, they flow, they rhyme, they rap (granted that most peeps who listen to hip hop don't use the terms "rap" and "rapper" anymore)--all the same thing, ie the MC's role in hip hop.

i don't think either of us are much interested in an argument over whether gangsta rap really constitutes hip hop so i'll leave that issue alone.

anyhow, peace. :cheers just a misunderstanding over our terminology i guess, and then i kinda responded to the rest of the thread in the same post. wasn't clear to me that they were differentiating gangsta rap from the larger hip hop picture.

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
you said, "outkast is more hip hop than rap." that's what i was responding to. if you'd've said, "outkast is more hip hop than gangsta rap," then i'd've had no quarrel. cuz yes, all those acts you name rap: the rap is the vocal line of a hip hop song. thus common sense and all the rest are absolutely rappers. they MC, they flow, they rhyme, they rap (granted that most peeps who listen to hip hop don't use the terms "rap" and "rapper" anymore)--all the same thing, ie the MC's role in hip hop.

i don't think either of us are much interested in an argument over whether gangsta rap really constitutes hip hop so i'll leave that issue alone.

anyhow, peace. :cheers  just a misunderstanding over our terminology i guess, and then i kinda responded to the rest of the thread in the same post. wasn't clear to me that they were differentiating gangsta rap from the larger hip hop picture.

My statement was a response to White Sox Josh grouping LL Cool J and Outkast into gangsta rap.

cheers as well :cheers peace

False Alarm, how good is stuff like De La Soul, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Rakim, RUN DMC, etc? And that's really only the tip of the iceberg.

And yes, I am of the opinion that one must be damn near braindead to enjoy the subject matter in Tupac or 50 Cent songs. But you don't have to listen to that nonsense, as there are literally hundreds of great old school/underground hip hop acts out there with conservative lyrics and jazz fusion based beats. It's really a wonderful genre, but you need to surround yourself with the proper influences.

And sure, there are exceptions out there. I have a good buddy who likes Tupac. He's an intelligent, family-oriented man, so hell yeah I'm baffled. It turns out that he's just a glorified head-nodder who doesn't even pay attention to the lyrics. :huh:

But you can rest assured that exceptions are few and far between. They say that you are what you eat. I'm saying that you are what you listen to. :D