Rapper Shot

Texsox

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
I was at lunch with my boss and another guy, and they asked me what the difference between rap and R&B is.  I had no clue.  Can someone give me a little explanation?  And give me a few examples of people in each group?

R&B is more sissy stuff like love ballads.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
R&B is more sissy stuff like love ballads.

Watch it man. Are you talking modern R&B, then yes. But older R&B has some great stuff. Rap is void of singing, R&B is mostly singing, and was ALL singing until Rap was born. R&B gets all it's sides from Blues, Soul, Gospel, and a dash of Pop.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
False Alarm, how good is stuff like De La Soul, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Rakim, RUN DMC, etc?  And that's really only the tip of the iceberg.

And yes, I am of the opinion that one must be damn near braindead to enjoy the subject matter in Tupac or 50 Cent songs.  But you don't have to listen to that nonsense, as there are literally hundreds of great old school/underground hip hop acts out there with conservative lyrics and jazz fusion based beats.  It's really a wonderful genre, but you need to surround yourself with the proper influences.

And sure, there are exceptions out there.  I have a good buddy who likes Tupac.  He's an intelligent, family-oriented man, so hell yeah I'm baffled.  It turns out that he's just a glorified head-nodder who doesn't even pay attention to the lyrics.  :huh:

But you can rest assured that exceptions are few and far between.  They say that you are what you eat.  I'm saying that you are what you listen to. :D

:notworthy

gospel.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
And yes, I am of the opinion that one must be damn near braindead to enjoy the subject matter in Tupac or 50 Cent songs. 

But without 50 cent how on earth would we know how to party and drink bacardi like it's our birthday... :huh

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
Watch it man. Are you talking modern R&B, then yes. But older R&B has some great stuff. Rap is void of singing, R&B is mostly singing, and was ALL singing until Rap was born. R&B gets all it's sides from Blues, Soul, Gospel, and a dash of Pop.

No wonder I don't like either.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
I don't even like tupac, but please don't put those 2 in the same sentence...

Okay, I can see your point. Tupac is like the best of the worst I guess you can say, whereas, you couldn't possibly put on anything that sucks more than a 50 Cent song.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Okay, I can see your point.  Tupac is like the best of the worst I guess you can say, whereas, you couldn't possibly put on anything that sucks more than a 50 Cent song.

Insane Clown Posse... :ph34r:

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
You dont see a difference in Hip Hop and Gangsta Rap? Just because Big Boi and Andre 3000 can rap, doesnt mean they are Gangsta rappers which is what i was saying. In fact, many songs that Outkast and Jurassic 5 perform completely rip on Gansta rappers and their songs. 

The attitudes in this thread are not against Hip hop, they are against Gangsta Rap. The violent, thuggish "hacks" may only make up a small percentage of what is out there(doubtful), but alot of the mainstream rappers came from that background. Ludacris, 50 Cent, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, even Bone Thugs n Harmony could be considered among this group, even though alot of these guys are considered fakes because their background wasnt tough enough for the critics.  The MTV generation likes the violence and thuggery, and they have a big say in top 40, whether we like it or not.

I, for one, love Jurassic 5, GURU, Common, Mos Def, Outkast, etc. And you will never hear me calling them rappers just because they can flow.

I love how Outkast doesn't have just one style. They aren't a rap group. They have done rock, they even have a Jazz track on one of their CD's, and Soul Music. Ice Cube said in an interview that the reason NWA was started and why they talked about what they did was to bring awarness to what was going on in the hood.