The Price of a Shortstop

DBAHO

Those who want to upgrade from Uribe, well this is Alex Gonzalez's asking price;

Shortstop Jimmy Rollins received a five-year, $40 million extension from Philadelphia. But Gonzalez — whose power numbers have dropped this year — could agree to a three-year offer of about $18-21 million.

Would you pay that for Gonzalez especially with Rafael Furcal probably going to sign with the Cubs in the off-season?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
The problem is we just signed Uribe toa 3 year deal. So first you have to find someone to take that contract. Uribe os going nowhere and will be our ss next year.

Uribe's been suggested to take over the super utility role if you will, splitting time at SS and 3B for Crede by some.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Thats a lot of money for a utility role player. Dont get me wrong,Uribe shined in this role and I have no problem with it. I just dont see it happening.

$3.15M for '06 and '$4.15M for '07 does not seem too excessive, especially considering how often he'd play, giving three guys a day off during the week he'd be playing constantly.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
Was about to Ask the same thing :huh:

It's been floated around by a few here, they seem to be the best fit for him, desperate for a leadoff hitter, and I don't know if Nomar's going to be back. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, but would he settle to be a #2 or #9 hitter?

Julio Lugo is another option. He only signed a 1 year deal with TB, is batting .297, has 32 SB's, and is a decent fielder.

SS and 3B are the weakest batting positions for the Sox, so depending on how this season turns out will determine what direction they go.

Those who want to upgrade from Uribe, well this is Alex Gonzalez's asking price;

Would you pay that for Gonzalez especially with Rafael Furcal probably going to sign with the Cubs in the off-season?

now is this the marlins gonzalez, or is this the 2003 gonzalez, that now plays for the devil rays?

When we were playign really well it was funny how people here (not all but many) said that Juan Uribe is better defensively than Rafael Furcal and even as dangerous offensively. Neither were true then and certainly not now. Now, I don't know if offering Furcal 40 million over 5 years is a good move but he's good enough of a player that he will command that deal from someone. I really like Furcal and Brian Giles and will puke if they become Cubs.

I don't see Uribe going anywhere. He is a brilliant defensive shortstop and for a guy hitting 8th or 9th in the lineup, we can't expect huge offensive numbers. I think it would be foolish to give up on Juan after the year. Plus, his contract is not outlandish and fits into our budget for next season.

Edited by aboz56

BTW, the reason people think Furcal is Cubs bound is that his agent is Aramis Ramirez's agent, and the Braves supposedly won't be able to re-sign him. They're considered the heavy favorite to sign Furcal. Also, I'd rather have Uribe for 3 million than Alex Gonzalez for 7 million.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
BTW, the reason people think Furcal is Cubs bound is that his agent is Aramis Ramirez's agent, and the Braves supposedly won't be able to re-sign him.  They're considered the heavy favorite to sign Furcal.  Also, I'd rather have Uribe for 3 million than Alex Gonzalez for 7 million.

I also think the Braves will use Betemit at SS next year with Marte possibly taking over at 3B depending on where Chipper will play. I think Atlanta is a huge favorite for Brian Giles, I could see the following Braves team for next year.

LF - Francouer, CF - Jones, RF - Brian Giles, 3B - Marte, SS - Betemit, 2B - Giles, 1B - Laroche/Chip, C - Estrada

Another East division title IMO.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I also think the Braves will use Betemit at SS next year with Marte possibly taking over at 3B depending on where Chipper will play.  I think Atlanta is a huge favorite for Brian Giles, I could see the following Braves team for next year.

LF - Chipper, CF - Jones, RF - Brian Giles, 3B - Marte, SS - Betemit, 2B - Giles, 1B - Laroche, C - Estrada

Another East division title IMO.

Where's Francouer?

Uribe's bat is a liability compared to last year. Yes, his defense is good, but there are only one or two SS in the Majors batting lower than him. His OBP is only .283! There is at least 10 SS with a BA higher than Uribe's OBP - now that is bad. Regardless where he bats, the Sox need better production from the SS position.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Where's Francouer?

How could I forget him, maybe Chipper goes to 1B or is moved with Francouer in LF.

Either way, I think Marte plays 3B next year.

For me.... :bang

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
When we were playign really well it was funny how people here (not all but many) said that Juan Uribe is better defensively than Rafael Furcal and even as dangerous offensively. Neither were true then and certainly not now. Now, I don't know if offering Furcal 40 million over 5 years is a good move but he's good enough of a player that he will command that deal from someone.  I really like Furcal and Brian Giles and will puke if they become Cubs.

It is really a toss up who is a better fielder. Uribe has 6.4 win shares defensively and furcal has 6.5 win shares defensively. Furcal's range factor is better than uribe's this year but there zone rating is identicial. Range factor has alot tto do with position and the pitchers ont he entire staff. Also, last year uribe led the lead in range factor and was tied for the best zone rating... so he is capable of being every bit as good as furcal and better.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
BTW, the reason people think Furcal is Cubs bound is that his agent is Aramis Ramirez's agent, and the Braves supposedly won't be able to re-sign him.  They're considered the heavy favorite to sign Furcal.  Also, I'd rather have Uribe for 3 million than Alex Gonzalez for 7 million.

Some braves fans seem to believe that it will be much like last year with j.d. drew and they won't even really make an offer. They feel betemit will fit in nicely for only a fraction of the cost... and if the braves feel something is the right thing to do you really can't question it.