The Price of a Shortstop

DBAHO

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
Says who?  Who are we going to replace him with?  If Fields is the 3rd baseman of the future, why sign someone to a multi-year deal to play 3b?

If Fields is our third baseman of the future. With third base being an offensive hole, and the injury concerns with Crede, it's very possible they sign someone to a mulity year deal. Maybe Mueller? Teams often sign free agents and deal the prospect they have lined up for the spot. In the near future, we may have some young guys taking over the outfield spots, which may make KW decide to have a more veteran infield presence. Who knows man, it's not like anything is set in stone. KW will work his magic, just every other year. If we got a guy like Erstad, other moves would follow.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless KW makes a trade for a 3B, Mueller should definitely be signed IMO. There's really nothing the Sox would be interested in as far as ss go this offseason, so we're stuck with Uribe unless KW makes a trade there. This free agent crop is so thin that we pretty much have to sign PK. Otherwise, we're not going to have enough power unless KW goes wild trading (which I wouldn't be against necessarily). The Sox could stand to develop a couple youngsters. Hopefully BMac is part of the starting rotation next year, and KW can trade off a starter or reliever to help fill the other holes.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Unless KW makes a trade for a 3B, Mueller should definitely be signed IMO.  There's really nothing the Sox would be interested in as far as ss go this offseason, so we're stuck with Uribe unless KW makes a trade there.  This free agent crop is so thin that we pretty much have to sign PK.  Otherwise, we're not going to have enough power unless KW goes wild trading (which I wouldn't be against necessarily).  The Sox could stand to develop a couple youngsters.  Hopefully BMac is part of the starting rotation next year, and KW can trade off a starter or reliever to help fill the other holes.

The problem with Mueller is he hasn't been that good away from Fenway over the past 2 seasons.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
The problem with Mueller is he hasn't been that good away from Fenway over the past 2 seasons.

This year:

Home: .306 Away: .292

I'd take a .292 average in a heartbeat over what Crede's given us this year. His rbi totals are better at home for whatever reason. I'll admit that last year his away numbers were a LOT worse, but even the year before he was hitting .309 away with twice as many homers. Most hitters numbers would probably go up playing for the Sox anyway (HR's anyway).

On an unrelated note, I just read (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedishmannycouldbego&prov=tsn&type=lgns) that Rosenthal thinks the Sox would be one of the teams looking at Furcal, but I think he's just looking at needs for teams and filling in the blanks.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
This year:

Home: .306 Away: .292

I'd take a .292 average in a heartbeat over what Crede's given us this year.  His rbi totals are better at home for whatever reason.  I'll admit that last year his away numbers were a LOT worse, but even the year before he was hitting .309 away with twice as many homers.  Most hitters numbers would probably go up playing for the Sox anyway (HR's anyway). 

On an unrelated note, I just read (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedishmannycouldbego&prov=tsn&type=lgns) that Rosenthal thinks the Sox would be one of the teams looking at Furcal, but I think he's just looking at needs for teams and filling in the blanks.

His recent hot streak has pretty much inflated those numbers. Beforehand, IIRC he had OPS's away from Fenway around or below the .700 mark, which is not too good for an everyday 3rd baseman. I don't mind him at all for a year or 2, until Fields is ready unless a better solution can be found. My guess is he'll want around a 3 year deal though, and with the lack of quality 3rd baseman on the market this off-season, he could get it.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
And IF Fields is ever Ready. I would prefer to go after Furcal than Mueller

That's gonna be about a $5 to $7 mill diff right there. Fields even though his 2nd half of the season has been good, is likely to repeat in B-Ham before moving up to Charlotte. I doubt we'll see him until 2007 at the earliest, maybe even 2008.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Julio Lugo is another option.  He only signed a 1 year deal with TB, is batting .297, has 32 SB's, and is a decent fielder. 

SS and 3B are the weakest batting positions for the Sox, so depending on how this season turns out will determine what direction they go.

No one wants Julio Lugo because he doesn't fit with this team. He can't play defense and that is a huge part of what this team is all about.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
BTW, the reason people think Furcal is Cubs bound is that his agent is Aramis Ramirez's agent, and the Braves supposedly won't be able to re-sign him.  They're considered the heavy favorite to sign Furcal.  Also, I'd rather have Uribe for 3 million than Alex Gonzalez for 7 million.

Not only do they have the same agent, but they are supposedly very good friends.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
I don't see Uribe going anywhere.  He is a brilliant defensive shortstop and for a guy hitting 8th or 9th in the lineup, we can't expect huge offensive numbers.  I think it would be foolish to give up on Juan after the year.  Plus, his contract is not outlandish and fits into our budget for next season.

In fact he is perfect for a bottom of the order hitter, especially with scoring runs with sac fly's. He has also become much more patient at the plate, and I think if he had this approach all season his batting stats would be closer to what we would expect from him. I think he got in a funk early and is learning to hit another way. I think he is not going to leave SS any time soon. Anyone who is wishing him gone obviously hasnt watched much of THIS team THIS year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
That's gonna be about a $5 to $7 mill diff right there. Fields even though his 2nd half of the season has been good, is likely to repeat in B-Ham before moving up to Charlotte. I doubt we'll see him until 2007 at the earliest, maybe even 2008.

Fields is a butcher in the field still.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
No one wants Julio Lugo because he doesn't fit with this team. He can't play defense and that is a huge part of what this team is all about.

Thank you very much. He has a noodle arm. I'd take Uribe over him in a second.

People forget that one reason this team has been so damn good is that we have Juan and Crede on the left side.

In the past we had Jose Valentin clogging up space on the left side of the infield with his inadequate glove and well, our defense sucked.

Uribe and Crede are our two worst hitters. It's easy to pick on them for lack of offense. Funny how few are willing to give them their proper due for their defense.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Thank you very much.  He has a noodle arm.  I'd take Uribe over him in a second.

People forget that one reason this team has been so damn good is that we have Juan and Crede on the left side. 

In the past we had Jose Valentin clogging up space on the left side of the infield with his inadequate glove and well, our defense sucked.

Uribe and Crede are our two worst hitters. It's easy to pick on them for lack of offense.  Funny how few are willing to give them their proper due for their defense.

Im not, this is the best dp combo we have had since Ozzie and Joey were ranging the middle infield. I dont want to move Uribe, he is young, he plays great d, has a cannon, and is showing signs of improvement at the plate. I like him a ton.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
It is really a toss up who is a better fielder. Uribe has 6.4 win shares defensively and furcal has 6.5 win shares defensively. Furcal's range factor is better than uribe's this year but there zone rating is identicial. Range factor has alot tto do with position and the pitchers ont he entire staff. Also, last year uribe led the lead in range factor and was tied for the best zone rating... so he is capable of being every bit as good as furcal and better.

I (obviously) don't have the numbers in front of me, but intuitively, the Sox staff (Jon, Count, El Duque) gets tons of ground ball outs. That always helps your range factor a bit.

I think it's too early to give up on Uribe.