Griffey Jr.: 'I'm not going' to the White Sox

greasywheels121

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:54 AM)
You called me ignorant.  You said you weren't surprised considering the source.  In my book, that's a personal attack.  I'm sure you won't get in trouble, so I'll just drop it.  And since when do I have to form my opinion because of what some "fan scouting report" says?  It sure sounds like a scientific judgment of a player's attributes. Thankfully, Bellhorn is going to sign with the Yankees tomorrow, so this lovefest for a well below average player will end.

I called you're statement ignorant.

You got proved wrong about Bellhorn defensively, and then shot the ignorant comment of "I could care less what this 'poll' says", because only your eyes tell you that he's bad defensively, when everything else says he's about average.

Whatever, I'm done.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
I'm of the belief that this team needs base runners.  Mark Bellhorn gets on base just as well as Todd Walker.

This team needs a LH bat that can drive in runs. Todd Walker fills that bill. Bellhorn doesn't. They don't need Walker to play 2nd or 3rd. He can DH. He should DH. Only putting on the leather occasionally.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:29 AM)
This team needs a LH bat that can drive in runs. Todd Walker fills that bill.  Bellhorn doesn't. They don't need Walker to play 2nd or 3rd. He can DH.  He should DH.  Only putting on the leather occasionally.

Basically, he's a perfect fit for what we need without having to sell the farm. That's why it's disappointing to hear we have no interest in him.

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:34 AM)
Cliff Floyd cleared waivers.

Hmm... what do you think that the Mets would want for him?

I thought Floyd has a no-trade clause, and the Sox are on his list of teams he wouldn't go to. Very surprising for a guy from the south suburbs. With the Mets making a run, I can't see them trading him. He's the type of guy who would just destroy the ball in a hitter's park.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:36 AM)
I thought Floyd has a no-trade clause, and the Sox are on his list of teams he wouldn't go to.  Very surprising for a guy from the south suburbs.  With the Mets making a run, I can't see them trading him.  He's the type of guy who would just destroy the ball in a hitter's park.

The Mets aren't winning the division/WC without Cameron and a healthy Beltran.

I'm shocked that Floyd would have Chicago teams on his N/T list.

After Montral, Florida and the Mets, he's seen nearly every dump of a ballpark in the majors. You'd think that the Cell would be a welcome change.

Floyd DHing>>>>Crazy Carl.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:39 AM)
The Mets aren't winning the division/WC without Cameron and a healthy Beltran.

I'm shocked that Floyd would have Chicago teams on his N/T list.

After Montral, Florida and the Mets, he's seen nearly every dump of a ballpark in the majors. You'd think that the Cell would be a welcome change.

Floyd DHing>>>>Crazy Carl.

Mets are 1.5 games out, and they're getting great offense right now to go along with some very good pitching. Especially with Cameron out, I think the NY media would go nuts if they got rid of Floyd also.

it appears that the Dayton Daily News has a major dislike for the White Sox, I believe that this means war.

"There was a stunned pause as a writer assumed the call from General Manager Dan O'Brien was to ask Griffey's permission to trade him to the Chicago White Sox, still WHINING because the Red's won't help them by turning over their best player."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
I wonder if they would be interested in contreras?  Did he clear waivers?

Trust me, there will be all sorts of rumors about the Sox trading Contreras in the off-season. However, he's not going anywhere right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
Trust me, there will be all sorts of rumors about the Sox trading Contreras in the off-season.  However, he's not going anywhere right now.

Nor he should with the way he's pitched since the Trade Deadline. And there'll be interest in him this off-season, don't worry about that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
Nor he should with the way he's pitched since the Trade Deadline. And there'll be interest in him this off-season, don't worry about that.

He'll be one of the most valued starting pitchers available on the trade market. He would be the ace on a handful of teams, and with one year left on his deal, his stock has never been higher.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
He'll be one of the most valued starting pitchers available on the trade market.  He would be the ace on a handful of teams, and with one year left on his deal, his stock has never been higher.

The thing is, without AJ or someone like that catching him, he will revert back to his old form.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
The thing is, without AJ or someone like that catching him, he will revert back to his old form.

Very possibly. Don't underestimate him pitching in a contract year though. There's a lot of good catchers in the National League, which is where I think he'll get traded to. An NL team would love to have him face teams in the NL for the first time (besides Interleague).

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
He'll be one of the most valued starting pitchers available on the trade market.  He would be the ace on a handful of teams, and with one year left on his deal, his stock has never been higher.

Seeing as there is question as to who (possibly 2) gets set aside for the rotation in the playoffs would it not make some sense to trade a starter for a big bat seeing as it is almost a consensus that one of the Cubans will be gone.

With Beltran underachieveing is Rowand/a starter worth it if the Mets throw in some cash????

Floyd - Contrearas??

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Seeing as there is question as to who (possibly 2) gets set aside for the rotation in the playoffs would it not make some sense to trade a starter for a big bat seeing as it is almost a consensus that one of the Cubans will be gone.

With Beltran underachieveing is Rowand/a starter worth it if the Mets throw in some cash????

Floyd - Contrearas??

We need all the starting pitching we can get to make the playoffs. Contreras has been very good against the Indians the past few years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
We need all the starting pitching we can get to make the playoffs.  Contreras has been very good against the Indians the past few years.

and he has been phenomenal against everyone over the last month. I am soo glad we did not trade Marte/Contreras for Burnett, just to have AJ walk next year.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Heres an idea to through out there for all of you people who want Griffey so bad...

Our offense is one of the worst in baseball no doubt...

It's time to give the Reds what they really want. It's obvious that they are holding out for a front line pitcher....

If it's true that Mark Buherle cleared waivers then give make the deal....

Mark Buherle for Ken Griffey Jr...

Even if Mark can manage to step up in the playoffs it's going to do us no good when we're scoring only 2 runs a game...

I like Mark as much as anyone but if the Reds aren't just going to take prospects then it makes more sense then going into the playoffs with such a pathetic lineup...

Even if Brandon sucks it hard for the rest of the year as a 5th starter at least he can be moved into the pen for the playoffs...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Heres an idea to through out there for all of you people who want Griffey so bad...

It's time to give the Reds what they really want. It's obvious that they are holding out for a front line pitcher....

Even if Mark can manage to step up in the playoffs it's going to do us no good when we're scoring only 2 runs a game...

I like Mark as much as anyone but if the Reds aren't just going to take prospects then it makes more sense then going into the playoffs with such a pathetic lineup...

Even if Brandon sucks it hard for the rest of the year as a 5th starter at least he can be moved into the pen for the playoffs...

Not happening. We're not going to trade our team leader. He can be had without a front line pitcher. I think its more about money than anything.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)

um in a word nof***inway. id rather have a good starter who has the ability to shut another team down than a guy who might hit 2 homers in a series

mark would also have to clear waivers, which i doubt would happen

Edited by daa84

Well if your not willing to give up what the Reds were quoted themselves as asking for him, then this talk is all moot because he wouldn't be coming anyway...

By the way i'm not advocating trading Mark Buherle for KGJ, I was just making a point...

You can't expect to get someone like that for some prospects that might never see day light... If you want a real talent you have to give up real talent...