Hurricane Katrina

Heads22

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
Who do you think should rebuild the oil and other energy infrastructures down there?

Im sure if we look hard enough we can find a firm thats more politically correct thats good at rebuilding energy infrastructure. In the meantime Im not holding my breath.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next thing out of your mouth will probably be that Bush somehow conjured up Katrina just to steer business toward his corporate favorites.

Hi, I'm new here. Is this sort of statement the reason why you're described as belonging to the "Wing Nuts" Group? :)

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Hi, I'm new here.  Is this sort of statement the reason why you're described as belonging to the "Wing Nuts" Group?  :)

The wing nuts group was made up back during the election time last year to describe the hardcore Republicans around here. I am the biggest Bush backer in the house and I thought it sounded kinda funny so I signed on.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
The wing nuts group was made up back during the election time last year to describe the hardcore Republicans around here.  I am the biggest Bush backer in the house and I thought it sounded kinda funny so I signed on.

I don't know about that. . .

But you are the Bush backer with the biggest GUNS in the house. :D

The wing nuts group was made up back during the election time last year to describe the hardcore Republicans around here.  I am the biggest Bush backer in the house and I thought it sounded kinda funny so I signed on.

Hey, thanks for the prompt response. May I venture one more question? Why do you present yourself to the world with a "Shut Up b****" avatar. Do you have any close women friends? I guess that's two questions.

Thanks.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
Hey, thanks for the prompt response.  May I venture one more question?  Why do you present yourself to the world with a "Shut Up b****" avatar.  Do you have any close women friends?  I guess that's two questions.

Thanks.

Im not too concerned about what people think of me on here. I think its funny and thats all that matters. I only know 2 people on this whole website in real life & even still most people see that for what it is......something funny.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
Hey, thanks for the prompt response.  May I venture one more question?  Why do you present yourself to the world with a "Shut Up b****" avatar.  Do you have any close women friends?  I guess that's two questions.

Thanks.

He's in the Army, of course he has women friends but remember, don't ask ~ don't tell ;)

George Bush talking to reporters about his "we didn't expect the levies to break" comment.

What I was referring to is this: When that storm came by, a lot of people said we dodged a bullet. When that storm came through at first, people said, Whew. There was a sense of relaxation. And that's what I was referring to.

And I myself thought we had dodged a bullet. You know why? Because I was listening to people probably over the airwaves say, The bullet has been dodged. And that was what I was referring to.

Of course, there were plans in case the levee had been breached. There was a sense of relaxation at a critical moment.

Here are some newspaper covers from that "critical moment."

allofemx.jpg

winodj, it was widely reported that New Orleans had "dodged the bullet" after Katrina passed through. Gulfport was devastated by the storm, as were other locals along the coast. Bush was specifically talking about NOLA and the levee situation.

The way you present the Bush quotes on NOLA, followed by all those headlines is simply a case of misleading spin.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 06:50 AM)
winodj, it was widely reported that New Orleans had "dodged the bullet" after Katrina passed through.  Gulfport was devastated by the storm, as were other locals along the coast.  Bush was specifically talking about NOLA and the levee situation. 

The way you present the Bush quotes on NOLA, followed by all those headlines is simply a case of misleading spin.

Misleading Spin ~ A SL&P Tradition since 2003!

Just wondering was the "Dodged the Bullet" also misleading spin? It seems that a whole lot of misinformation, falsehood, wrong assumptions, and other errors of judgment occurred and if we are looking for a scapegoat, Brown seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Why I won't give to the Red Cross:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/1029-05.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/taintedblood/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/29/...ain516700.shtml

Other help organizations assisting NO:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/...68/cpid/310.htm

That environmental pc was priceless. A levee system equipped with flood gates that could have protected the city was pushed aside over 30 yrs ago to protect the shrimp. :rolly I wonder if that will make BBC News.

Where there any alternatives to the floodgate system as proposed? There always seems to be another side that makes sense.

I have a proposal, let's build a replica of the Great Wall of China all around the city to protect it from looting and floods.

Sept 1 2065

If y'all had listened to me back in 2005 and built the Great Wall, none of this would have happened, but nooooooo, you said it was bad for the environment.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin says the hurricane-devastated city is bankrupt and is scrambling for loans to pay its employees through the end of the year.

"Technically today we're out of cash," Nagin told reporters in Baton Rouge. "The city is bankrupt ... We have no money."

He said the city spent its last available cash last week on city employee payroll and was seeking bank loans, federal assistance and other means of financing to continue paying its bills and staff, the New Orleans Times Picayune reported Tuesday.

However, Nagin was emphatic state and federal officials would not railroad through city reconstruction until it had passed city muster.

"I don't want anybody outside of New Orleans planning nothing as it relates to how we're going to rebuild this city without us signing off on it," Nagin said.

Something else I read that was interesting was the effect that the hurricane was having on many nonprofit organizations that depend on donations for their exsistance. I guess many of them are suffering through huge drop offs in their funding because people are giving to the Hurricane relief funds. Groups like people in ministry, local food pantries, and churches are really suffering through monetary shortages right now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Something else I read that was interesting was the effect that the hurricane was having on many nonprofit organizations that depend on donations for their exsistance.  I guess many of them are suffering through huge drop offs in their funding because people are giving to the Hurricane relief funds.  Groups like people in ministry, local food pantries, and churches are really suffering through monetary shortages right now.

Here's some irony, my local Red Cross office is taking a pounding, first from tsunami relief, now from Katrina, all that money goes to national and then towards NO.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)

Thanks.

FWIW, a female dog is also called a b****. I don't see a female in Nuke's avatar so is it not assumptive to assume the meaning of the word? b**** is used in many ways, mostly without much tatse or class, but it does not always refer to women.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
FWIW, a female dog is also called a b****.  I don't see a female in Nuke's avatar so is it not assumptive to assume the meaning of the word?  b**** is used in many ways, mostly without much tatse or class, but it does not always refer to women.

Yeah, it's used as an insult to men by infering they are like women--so it's actually more offensive. . .

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
Well, I guess in a way it's comforting to know that even when likely thousands of Americans are lying dead in an abandoned shell of an American city, the Bush Administration still puts Rewarding its campaign contributors at the top of its list of priorities.  I mean, if Halliburton and Bechtel can't turn a profit, what is this world coming to?

FYI, the Shaw Group is headed by Jim Bernhard, chairman of the Louisiana Democratic Party. That's really rewarding his fellow conservatives!

Edited by EvilMonkey