CY Sleeper

I said last night that Bartolo Colon would be my CY pick over our two standouts but I'm begining to wonder if Johan Santana might be the guy if he continues to rattle off great starts like today. He needs 5 more wins for serious consideration but he might once again singlehandedly carry the Twins to the playoffs, via the WC of course

People have been talking about Buehrle, Garland, Halladay, Colon and Santana as the Cy Young candidates for this season so I wouldn't exactly call Santana a sleeper. He's been comming on for the 2nd half just as he did last year, he has a leg up on the rest just do to the fact that he's won a Cy before.

I wasn't sayign Colon is the sleeper, just that Santana is. Now, of sourse he's not a sleeper in the context of expectations going into the season but he's not in a lot of people's top 3-4 now, but maybe he should be is what I meant

Edited by Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Bartolo is in the Race for Sure.  I never tought i would be saying this, But Garland sould have 20 wins already

It's going to be between Garland and Colon.

I can't see "Lindsay" Johan winning the Cy Young if the Twinkies don't win the wild card.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Just like Halladay winning the Cy Young in '03 right?

Oh,man.That was painful.Halladay ROBBED the CY Young from Loiaza.

But,i'm sure about Bartolo and Garland neck and neck for the Cy Young this year.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Oh,man.That was painful.Halladay ROBBED the CY Young from Loiaza.

But,i'm sure about Bartolo and Garland neck and neck for the Cy Young this year.

How about loaiza robbed himself? In september he gave up... 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 1 earned runs.

It is all about the stretch run. The writers don't remember how a pitcher performed in April and May. They rememeber what the guy did in Aug and Sep, and Halladay killed E-Lo during that timeframe. That is also how Santana won it last year. Whoever has the best Aug and Sep will win the award.

Right now I would say the voting would be:

1. Colon

2. Rivera

3. Buerhle

4. Garland

5. Santana

The worst thing for the Sox is that Mark and John will take votes away from each other.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
It is all about the stretch run.  The writers don't remember how a pitcher performed in April and May.  They rememeber what the guy did in Aug and Sep, and Halladay killed E-Lo during that timeframe.  That is also how Santana won it last year.  Whoever has the best Aug and Sep will win the award.

1. Colon

2. Rivera

3. Buerhle

4. Garland

5. Santana

The worst thing for the Sox is that Mark and John will take votes away from each other.

Jon

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
It is all about the stretch run.  The writers don't remember how a pitcher performed in April and May.  They rememeber what the guy did in Aug and Sep, and Halladay killed E-Lo during that timeframe.  That is also how Santana won it last year.  Whoever has the best Aug and Sep will win the award.

1. Colon

2. Rivera

3. Buerhle

4. Garland

5. Santana

Jon.

Did Rivera get on that list thanks to his Yankee-lovin' friends at ESPN?

Relievers have their little rolaids relief award. Closers winning the cy young is a farce to me. Another thing that is ridiculous is when anyone over the age of 28 is considered for rookie of the year. I actually think the cut off should be 26.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
How about loaiza robbed himself? In september he gave up... 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 1 earned runs.

you act like giving up three runs is a bad thing. 4 runs is still below the league average. Even a Cy Young candidate is entitled to a few bad outings

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
I said last night that Bartolo Colon would be my CY pick over our two standouts but I'm begining to wonder if Johan Santana might be the guy if he continues to rattle off great starts like today. He needs 5 more wins for serious consideration but he might once again singlehandedly carry the Twins to the playoffs, via the WC of course

Colon is who I think will win it unless Buehrle and Garland get hot down the stretch (well one of which). Colon has been a total horse.