Game Thread 8/29

Ishmookie

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
HA!  I would be mad if KW didn't lie in a situation like that.  It would look bad for him and the organization if he said that another team offered a better package for a player.  KW is a very smooth talker, and he knows what people want to hear.

True. But it does seem like every rumour that kept cropping up was a pretty dang good prospect (Anderson, BMac, etc.). We don't want to lose these guys - they have too much potential. Those guys aren't overvalued. I remember when everyone b****ed about Reed and Olivo. Anyone b****ing now? I think our organization knows when to let go of players (except Borchard, but no one wants him).

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
Oh sorry. Didn't realize I was talking to a GM, who knows what both teams offered.

i don't think thats what he meant. Everyone gets so personal around here. its silly. The facts are simple, our hitting isn't good, especially from 3b and SS. Our pitching is good but we do have holes in that as well. We need to solidify the lineup a bit, get stronger there to make it T HROUGH the playoffs. We are a nice team, I would like to be a great team. Griffey changes the dynamics of the lineup. other teams will fear him, pitch around him and will make other players better just by his presence, alot like thomas used to do. he is a superstar. other players would fill the gaps. Randa would be nice now that crede is not around, hell even if crede was around!

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
i don't think thats what he meant. Everyone gets so personal around here. its silly. The facts are simple, our hitting isn't good, especially from 3b and SS. Our pitching is good but we do have holes in that as well. We need to solidify the lineup a bit, get stronger there to make it T HROUGH the playoffs. We are a nice team, I would like to be a great team. Griffey changes the dynamics of the lineup. other teams will fear him, pitch around him and will make other players better just by his presence, alot like thomas used to do. he is a superstar. other players would fill the gaps. Randa would be nice now that crede is not around, hell even if crede was around!

Quickman, I agree with that.

But I fear that one bat (sans Griffey) won't help us.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
True.  But it does seem like every rumour that kept cropping up was a pretty dang good prospect (Anderson, BMac, etc.).  We don't want to lose these guys - they have too much potential.  Those guys aren't overvalued.  I remember when everyone b****ed about Reed and Olivo.  Anyone b****ing now?  I think our organization knows when to let go of players (except Borchard, but no one wants him).

i didn't like reed or olivio, and I am not big on anderson. BMAC is not ready, he needs another year in the minors.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)

If we could have gotten Randa and Griffey that would have been great. They were two upgrades at those positions. But Griffey didn't want to come, and KW got outbid for Randa. What are you going to do? My point is that you just can't point at a player and say that you wnat him and he'll magically come to the team.

Why isnt gload up. I mean he is tearing up AAA. He hit well for us last year. This year he has barely gotten a chance. Yet he is a line drive hitter the kind we could use.

Yet we have a team that gets 1 to 3 hit by every team through 5 innings. We may scratch out 5 or 6 hits, but scoring runs is only happening if someone hits a dong.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
If we could have gotten Randa and Griffey that would have been great. They were two upgrades at those positions. But Griffey didn't want to come, and KW got outbid for Randa. What are you going to do? My point is that you just can't point at a player and say that you wnat him and he'll magically come to the team.

But when your team clearly needs offensive help, you have to find some type of spark. The thing that has concerned me most with KW has been that he's seemed to get fixated on Huff or Griffey Jr. All along, I keep hearing how we would only add a superstar. Well, at quite a few positions, even an average player would be an upgrade over what we have.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
But when your team clearly needs offensive help, you have to find some type of spark.  The thing that has concerned me most with KW has been that he's seemed to get fixated on Huff or Griffey Jr.  All along, I keep hearing how we would only add a superstar.  Well, at quite a few positions, even an average player would be an upgrade over what we have.

We could only put a average player at one position. It would take an above average player at pretty much everywhere else except SS and Uribe is our SS for his D.

Todd Walker would come off the bench. So would Lawton. and a bunch of others i've seen named. Ibanez is comparable to Everett at DH.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
But when your team clearly needs offensive help, you have to find some type of spark.  The thing that has concerned me most with KW has been that he's seemed to get fixated on Huff or Griffey Jr.  All along, I keep hearing how we would only add a superstar.  Well, at quite a few positions, even an average player would be an upgrade over what we have.

And getting locked in on Huff with Tampa Bay's history of asking prices and reluctance to trade was a waste of time at the deadline, if it was true.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
Quickman, I agree with that.

But I fear that one bat (sans Griffey) won't help us.

well if he got here tommorrow:

a) the fans would go nuts

B) We instantly become the talk of the playoff teams nationwide

C) He instantly puts power in our lineup.

D) We sell more tickets.

E) He makes our lineup better.

Good press, good power, superstar, left handed hitter, all makes for a whirlwind of confidence this team would get a huge shot in the arm. that is why KW is tryign so hard to get him. He is a difference maker.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
And getting locked in on Huff with Tampa Bay's history of asking prices and reluctance to trade was a waste of time at the deadline, if it was true.

Which is also a good point. We don't have any friggin clue who KW has gone after, who he has locked in on, or anything like that. We just don't have a the slightest idea.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
We could only put a average player at one position. It would take an above average player at pretty much everywhere else except SS and Uribe is our SS for his D.

Todd Walker would come off the bench. So would Lawton. and a bunch of others i've seen named. Ibanez is comparable to Everett at DH.

SS, 3B, DH, and 4th outfielder. Those were all areas we could have really used an upgrade.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
well if he got here tommorrow:

a) the fans would go nuts

B) We instantly become the talk of the playoff teams nationwide

C) He instantly puts power in our lineup.

D) We sell more tickets.

E) He makes our lineup better.

Good press, good power, superstar, left handed hitter, all makes for a whirlwind of confidence this team would get a huge shot in the arm. that is why KW is tryign so hard to get him. He is a difference maker.

All that is true and would be absolutely HUGE. However, I just think the majority of us are saying not to put all your eggs in one basket.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
Who on this thread honesty thinks the White Sox as they are constructed right now are serious WS contenders?

If we had a medicore offense, sure.

But with guys hitting below 200 for a month or so. No.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
Who on this thread honesty thinks the White Sox as they are constructed right now are serious WS contenders?

Who knows come playoff time. All it takes is one magical series or game for a team to catch fire and win it all IMO.