Game Thread 8/29

Ishmookie

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Shutting down?

Buehrle has 11 starts giving up one run or less.

Santana has 9 of a similar nature.

Next?

If Ryan offered Santana for Mark Buerhle straight up. KW would yell DEAL before Ryan got Santa out of his mouth.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
If you read it correctly I would rather have the guy with the higher ERA if over that same time he won more games. There are some pitchers when they lose, lose 4-2. Some lose 8-2. ERA isn't the most important stat.

Yes it is. A guy with that kind of record is getting great offense. That's the reason he is winning. LOL. I can't blieve you're arguing that you'd rather have a pitcher who gives up more runs.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
If Ryan offered Santana for Mark Buerhle straight up.  KW would yell DEAL before Ryan got Santa out of his mouth.

That wasn't your point. You said Santana shut poeple down more this year. I showed you he didn't.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
Yes it is. A guy with that kind of record is getting great offense. That's the reason he is winning. LOL. I can't blieve you're arguing that you'd rather have a pitcher who gives up more runs.

Who would you rather start game seven of the World Series? MB or JS? My money's on JS, no offense. I can't put it a better way.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
That wasn't your point. You said Santana shut poeple down more this year. I showed you he didn't.

No actually you are saying that Mark B is a better pitcher over this year. Then you discounted Johan because he is a very miniscule amount behind with better numbers in ever other category.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
Who would you rather start game seven of the World Series?  MB or JS?  My money's on JS, no offense.  I can't put it a better way.

What does that have to do with who has been the better pitcher this year?

Or any of this striaght up trade talk. People are acting like I'm arguing who is the better pitcher. Of coure i suppose they saw they were wrong otherwise so they had to change it to that? I'm not sure.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
What does that have to do with who has been the better pitcher this year?

Or any of this striaght up trade talk. People are acting like I'm arguing who is the better pitcher. Of coure i suppose they saw they were wrong otherwise so they had to change it to that? I'm not sure.

I guess nobody knows what your point is except you.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
No actually you are saying that Mark B is a better pitcher over this year.  Then you discounted Johan because he is a very miniscule amount behind with better numbers in ever other category.

In the only stat that matters, how many runs a pitcher gives up over a comparable number of innings, which is the only thing he can control, Mark beats out Santana this year. I'm not sure how much more clear that can get. But

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
I guess nobody knows what your point is except you.

Or they try to change the argument because they know they are wrong?

It was pretty clear what my point was.

Buehrle leads the league in ERA. He is the best pitcher this year. If Halladay pitched the whole year, he would be the best pitcher this year.

Edited by jphat007

why are some so obsessed with santana vs. buehrle.

Ok, santana is better. so what.

Mark is still damn good and we're not going to get Santana anytime soon.

We need Freddie, Mark and Jon to start dominating like the first half or we might blow this division lead.

I'm banking on Cleveland cooling off at some point.

If Cleveland keeps winning 8 or 9 of every 10 they probaby will overtake us.

I just don't think the Tribe will do that, but who knows?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
In the only stat that matters, how many runs a pitcher gives up over a comparable number of innings, which is the only thing he can control, Mark beats out Santana this year. I'm not sure how much more clear that can get. But

wait a couple more outings, and Buerhles ERA will be over 3.50. then 3.60, then 3.70.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)

Example: Head to Head

Gm 1 9ip 2er w Pitcher#2 Gm1 9ip 5er l

Gm2 9ip 5er l Gm2 9ip 4er w

Gm3 9ip 2er l Gm3 9ip 1er w

Pitcher #1 1-2 3.00 era

Pitcher #2 2-1 3.33 era

Call me crazy, but I'd go with pitcher #2.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
I just like the fact that it's debatable, and santana's first half was nowhere near as good as last year...

This year it is debatable, but I'd still take Santana over Buehrle in a Heartbeat.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
wait a couple more outings, and Buerhles ERA will be over 3.50. then 3.60, then 3.70.

ANd then you can say Santana is having the better year. But unless you can accurately tell the future, you have no point.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)

Mark has given up 63 ER in 189.2 innings.

Santana has given up 66 ER in 188 innings.

So those 3 ERs really make a huge difference.

This of course was up until tonights start.

Edited by southsideirish71