Disturbing Trend

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Reviewing the results from this month, the Sox have not come back from a deficit of more than one to win a game during the entire month of August.  Whatever KW can do to boost our offense in the next few days would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so surprised by this fact.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
It's basically September. I know what we have in this team. Its a team built on great pitching, and a very good bullpen, with a streaky Offense. Isnt that what we thought coming into the year?

There is a very good chance we go 3 and out in the playoffs this year, a very good chance.

There is also the chance that our bats get going in late September, and we make things happen in the playoffs, a good chance.

This team is flat out a streaky team, and we all just have to hope to catch the right streak.

Once again I guess this is how you interpret streaky but I don't consider us streaky at all. We had 1 stretch where we played absolutely horrible but besides that we've been pretty consistant.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
The 2nd half has been far from Consistent. Even I can see that Rowand. And when I say team, I guess I just mean the O, because the pitching has been there all season long. I still just don't have alot of faith in our bats.

However, I obviously saw the way this team played the 1st half, and truly believe they can play that way again, and it wasnt just smoke and mirrors.

That's fair, offensively we've been very streaky but because of the pitching as an overall team we've been fine for the most part minus that few weeks. I understand what you said about the playoffs though. For me I just want to make sure we get in and we'll definitely be dangerous because of our big 3, should be a fun ride. :)

This team desperately needs offense. The starters at the infield corners today had combined for a whopping 7 rbi this season. It will be interesting to see how long the starting pitching is able to hold up. The intensity needed to hold teams to 2 runs or less usually takes its toll at some point. It would be nice to give them a break and bring in someone who could produce runs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
This team desperately needs offense. The starters at the infield corners today had combined for a whopping 7 rbi this season. It will be interesting to see how long the starting pitching is able to hold up. The intensity needed to hold teams to 2 runs or less usually takes its toll at some point. It would be nice to give them a break and bring in someone who could produce runs.

There has to be some kind of move that KW can make to help the offense. Nobody can tell me that there is nothing at all he can do to upgrade something. I think it was you that I had this conversation with. Everyone is going to use the excuse of having Pods back as a reason to stand pat this deadline.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
There has to be some kind of move that KW can make to help the offense.  Nobody can tell me that there is nothing at all he can do to upgrade something.  I think it was you that I had this conversation with.  Everyone is going to use the excuse of having Pods back as a reason to stand pat this deadline.

No, Kenny traded for Griffey during the non waiver deadline but it got rejected and he's still trying to trade for him now. People bring up Giles but why would san diego trade him when they're going to win their division. Do you want to trade for Dmitry Young just to trade for a guy when Carl is just as good as him? There's just not much we can do right now.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
There has to be some kind of move that KW can make to help the offense.  Nobody can tell me that there is nothing at all he can do to upgrade something.  I think it was you that I had this conversation with.  Everyone is going to use the excuse of having Pods back as a reason to stand pat this deadline.

Pods out isn't the reason this team is struggling on offense. I agree with you there. Pods is obviously better than Timo, but he's not nearly as good as most people on this board give him credit for, and its no guarantee he will remain healthy or start stealing bases again like he did at the beginning of the season. This team needs someone who can drive the ball and knock runs in. Everett shouldn't be a 3 hole hitter. Griffey would have been perfect, but that's not happening. I really doubt KC would trade Sweeney to the Sox or that he would approve a trade to Chicago, but this is the type of hitter they need. Supposedly they are looking at Ibanez, and while that doesn't excite me, its better than nothing. I'd even think about Nomar, although I doubt the Cubs would do the Sox any favors. When he gets hot, he puts up numbers like he's in little league. Chances are they will stay with what they have, which if it falls short will subject them to a lot of criticism, and as unfair as it may be we will be subjected to hearing how cheap JR is for an entire winter.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
No, Kenny traded for Griffey during the non waiver deadline but it got rejected and he's still trying to trade for him now.  People bring up Giles but why would san diego trade him when they're going to win their division.  Do you want to trade for Dmitry Young just to trade for a guy when Carl is just as good as him?  There's just not much we can do right now.

Like I said, there's got to be someone out there that KW can pry away that's better than some of the garbage we have.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
That's not my job.  But can you sit there and tell me that KW can't pry away a player from another team even if he has to overpay?

To be honest there aren't many players I can think of that he could pry away and if it's possible for him to make a trade, he'll do it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
Most would be more than half. I'm not the only one who believes he is overrated.

That's fine if you believe that, that is your opinion and you're entitled to that. In your post it seemed like you were trying to state it as a fact.

These guys have got to pick up the pace in September and going into October. Stranding runners like we have on 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs will kill us. When we get an opportunity we have to really capitalize on it. Pods will help us have more guys on base and all, but the bottom of our lineup needs to get this going a bit more.

Our pitching has been stellar holding the opposition to a .245BA, but our batters cannot hit .232 as a team or we will be one and done.

Everyone keeps saying, Oh dont worry about so and so. He is our 7th through 9th hitter. They arent supposed to do anything anyways. Our lower guys have got to perform better than August or we are sunk. We cannot have guys hitting blow .200 for terms of a month or more.

Hopefully the DL time will help Joe get whatever he is going again. After a .103BA for the month his .240 would look like a godsend.

Uribe is batting now .203 for the month of August. I understand he is a free swinger and all but he has to really work on his hitting selection. His defense is great and all, but having two or 3 guys hitting at such a bad clip is murder to any rallys.

Rowand is batting .198 for the month. He is a fastball hitter who has been fouling offf a lot of good fastballs. Then he is meat after 2 strikes. He needs to put those balls in play more. Hit them to left and right center.

Hopefully these guys start to warm up a bit in September, because its not like they can just flip a switch in the playoffs and just turn on offense.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
That's not my job.  But can you sit there and tell me that KW can't pry away a player from another team even if he has to overpay?

So you think Florida would be happy with Ron Villone right now, especially what they gave up for him? How bout Randy Winn and the Giants?

The funny thing is the Nats just had their GM hold a close door meeting and he ripped the team on how they couldnt hit and all. Our pitching has been stellar, because their numbers are better than ours. they have scored more runs by about 28 more runs than we have.

Turning his attention to the hitters, scoreless over 21 innings, Bowden said: "This isn't a problem of one guy or two guys. We have an embarrassing problem of all eight. Zero offense."

How our pitching is valued. If it wasnt for our stellar pitching, what a disaster this could be.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
So you think Florida would be happy with Ron Villone right now, especially what they gave up for him? How bout Randy Winn and the Giants?

Yorman Bazardo, talk about overpaying. This is why I think the Mariners would want an arm and a leg for some of their players that are supposidly on the block.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:21 AM)
Yorman Bazardo, talk about overpaying. This is why I think the Mariners would want an arm and a leg for some of their players that are supposidly on the block.

Me too. With the rumors we're looking at Ibanez, I'm very scared about who we'd have to give up for him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Me too.  With the rumors we're looking at Ibanez, I'm very scared about who we'd have to give up for him.

Bazardo was a top 3 prospect for the Marlins, they gave him and another prospect up for a journeyman lefty reliever. Imagine what they'd want for a stud like Guardado or a good everday player like Ibanez.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:08 AM)
The funny thing is the Nats just had their GM hold a close door meeting and he ripped the team on how they couldnt hit and all.  Our pitching has been stellar, because their numbers are better than ours.  they have scored more runs by about 28 more runs than we have. 

Turning his attention to the hitters, scoreless over 21 innings, Bowden said: "This isn't a problem of one guy or two guys. We have an embarrassing problem of all eight. Zero offense."

How our pitching is valued. If it wasnt for our stellar pitching, what a disaster this could be.

LOL!

Maybe Bowden should start blaming himself for the worst signing in the offseason (Guzman), and one of the worst (Castilla).

What a great quote...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)

Winn's hitting .280 with the Giants. That's not very bad, and a .280 hitter on this team would look amazing (and no, I don't want Winn). My point is that we need someone. This offense is wretched. It is pitiful. I don't care what KW has to give up from our overrated prospects. I don't care what money he has to take on. There has to be someone out there that he can get that's better than some of the garbage we already have.