Cedric Benson finally signed

CSF

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Im still on the A-Train bandwagon but oh well thats a lost cause  :bang.  Anyways I dont think he will get many carries the first couple of weeks but my week 4-5 he should be splitting about 50/50 with Thomas Jones and I think that will improve our running game greatly since both will be fresh.

It's funny, he could be anywhere from backup to 4th string RB on the Cowboys with Tyson Thompson and Barber the 3rd there as well. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

You guys are crazy if you think that Benson is just going to push Thomas Jones to the backburner. I think Jones is going to be getting 80 percent of the snaps for the first half of the year, and Benson will be eased into getting 40 percent of the snaps towards the end of the year. Benson clearly hurt his value to the team by missing so much time, and unless he is the second coming of Tomlinson(doubtful), I see no reason to expect so much from him so soon.

To all of you fantasy footballers who drafted Jones as a serviceable RB, I wouldnt be hasty to dump him right now. I actually think he molded himself very well to the offense. Not to mention that he is fast and strong, and as quick as a waterbug. It will be nice to spell Jones with a powerback like Benson, but I think it will be a little while.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
You guys are crazy if you think that Benson is just going to push Thomas Jones to the backburner. I think Jones is going to be getting 80 percent of the snaps for the first half of the year, and Benson will be eased into getting 40 percent of the snaps towards the end of the year.  Benson clearly hurt his value to the team by missing so much time, and unless he is the second coming of Tomlinson(doubtful), I see no reason to expect so much from him so soon.

To all of you fantasy footballers who drafted Jones as a serviceable RB, I wouldnt be hasty to dump him right now. I actually think he molded himself very well to the offense.  Not to mention that he is fast and strong, and as quick as a waterbug. It will be nice to spell Jones with a powerback like Benson, but I think it will be a little while.

Well Thomas Jones is Thomas Jones, he's not in the top half of starting RB's in the league, hence why they drafted Benson. And yeah he could be good enough to be the 2nd coming of Tomlinson, no-one's seen him in a NFL game yet so it's a bit early to be maing judgements, but Tomlinson was the #5 pick, Benson #4. With Ron Turner going with a power running game, Benson will probably be the starter by mid - season I'd think. Jones is quite injury prone, so that can't be ruled out either.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Well Thomas Jones is Thomas Jones, he's not in the top half of starting RB's in the league, hence why they drafted Benson. And yeah he could be good enough to be the 2nd coming of Tomlinson, no-one's seen him in a NFL game yet so it's a bit early to be maing judgements, but Tomlinson was the #5 pick, Benson #4. With Ron Turner going with a power running game, Benson will probably be the starter by mid - season I'd think. Jones is quite injury prone, so that can't be ruled out either.

If Thomas stays healthy(which is a big IF for any running back, and a little moreso for Jones) I predict a big year from him. He almost made 1000 last year and he missed alot of time.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
If Thomas stays healthy(which is a big IF for any running back, and a little moreso for Jones) I predict a big year from him.  He almost made 1000 last year and he missed alot of time.

plus he had a paper thin offensive line...(and he didn't miss that much time)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
If Thomas stays healthy(which is a big IF for any running back, and a little moreso for Jones) I predict a big year from him.  He almost made 1000 last year and he missed alot of time.

Agreed.

He's a great RB,but like someone said,the offensive line is paper thin.Jones is not great,but good enough.

Ced Benson,glad he signed.But now,he better get his ass in gear.He already did his Curtis Enis-like holdout,I hope he doesn't play like him too.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Agreed.

He's a great RB,but like someone said,the offensive line is paper thin.Jones is not great,but good enough.

Ced Benson,glad he signed.But now,he better get his ass in gear.He already did his Curtis Enis-like holdout,I hope he doesn't play like him too.

No, the O-Line WAS paper thin. I dont believe it is anymore. In fact, I think its gonna be very good this year.

QUOTE(WSNS-TV44 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
I hope you're right.

It might be a little bad the first couple of weeks but as these guys play together more then line should improve each week. The good thing is the first week we play a not so good Redskins team who lost an important CB and DT to their defense and lost both their starting WR's.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
It might be a little bad the first couple of weeks but as these guys play together more then line should improve each week.  The good thing is the first week we play a not so good Redskins team who lost an important CB and DT to their defense and lost both their starting WR's.

i think we really can win the season opener...i cry when i think i might not be able to watch most of this season and i'm gonna miss this ridiculously good defense we have (i'm at school in mizzou right now)

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
i think we really can win the season opener...i cry when i think i might not be able to watch most of this season and i'm gonna miss this ridiculously good defense we have (i'm at school in mizzou right now)

Ha! The Rams and Chiefs rule the roost around you. In Carbondale i had to finally break down and get the NFL ticket to watch the Bears.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Well Thomas Jones is Thomas Jones, he's not in the top half of starting RB's in the league, hence why they drafted Benson.

That's exactly right. I would say that he's not even in the Top 25.

How I see it, in no particular order:

Elite

Shaun Alexander

Deuce McAllister

Ahman Green

Ladanian Tomlinson

Priest Holmes

Willis McGahee

Jamal Lewis

Edgerrin James

Solid

Marshall Faulk

DeShaun Foster

Kevin Jones

Clinton Portis

Tiki Barber

Julius Jones

Corey Dillon

Curtis Martin

Rudi Johnson

Somewhere in between Adequate and Solid

Steven Jackson

Marcel Shipp

Thomas Jones

Mike Pittman

Warrick Dunn

Michael Bennett

Mewelde Moore

Brian Westbrook

Lamont Jordan

Larry Johnson

Tatum Bell

Travis Henry

Lee Suggs

Duce Staley

Jerome Bettis

Domanick Davis

Chris Brown

Dominic Rhodes

The adequate-to-solid crowd are guys that won't hurt you, but they're not exactly franchise backs.

Faulk and Martin are kind of old already, and therefore, I can't call them elite at this point (although you can still make a good argument for Martin). You could make good arguments for Corey Dillon and Tiki Barber as well, but I hesitate to call them elite, although the numbers they put up last year would indicate otherwise.

This year's class is obviously very promising with Brown, Benson, Williams, etc.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
The good thing is the first week we play a not so good Redskins team who lost an important CB and DT to their defense and lost both their starting WR's.

This defense ain't no joke. I believe this is a Top 5 defense in the NFC:

DE: Renaldo Wynn (Solid)

DT: Brandon Noble (Solid)

DT: Cornelius Griffin (Solid)

DE: HOLE

OLB: Lavar Arrington (All-Pro Caliber)

MLB: Lemar Marshall (Solid)

OLB: Marcus Washington (All-Pro Caliber)

CB: Shawn Springs (Solid)

FS: Sean Taylor (All-Pro Caliber)

SS: HOLE

CB: Walt Harris (Solid), Carlos Rogers (Solid)

They also have a pretty good offensive line and one of the deepest backfields in the league:

RB: Clinton Portis (All-Pro Caliber)

RB: Ladell Betts (Solid)

FB: Chris Cooley (All-Pro Caliber)

FB: Mike Sellers (Solid)

They also have pretty good special teams (kicking and punting wise, anyway).

Now, this s*** ain't football law. You could argue that Cooley ain't all-pro caliber, and you wouldn't be way off base. But that is one deep f***ing backfield any way you slice it.

Like us, they have a major hole at the QB slot, no quality tight ends, and jack s*** for depth at WR. I'd say that we're pretty evenly matched, except that our defense has a much higher ceiling in terms of potential devastation.

I can tell you right now that I won't be the least bit surprised if they beat us, especially with Blache looking for revenge.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
That's exactly right.  I would say that he's not even in the Top 25.

Elite

Shaun Alexander

Deuce McAllister

Ahman Green

Ladanian Tomlinson

Priest Holmes

Willis McGahee

Jamal Lewis

Edgerrin James

Solid

Marshall Faulk

DeShaun Foster

Kevin Jones

Clinton Portis

Tiki Barber

Julius Jones

Corey Dillon

Curtis Martin

Rudi Johnson

Definitely debatable as I could see guys from each list being switched...

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Who do you think should be switched?  You think that Martin, Barber, and Dillon should be in the elite category?  Do you think McGahee is overrated?  I can see that.

It depends on what you use as your criteria.

I can see McGahee as elite, but that's based more on potential than performance.

Ahman Green isn't what he was as he's coming off a down year, is fumble-prone, and his O-line isn't looking all that great...

I could definitely see Dillon as elite, maybe in place of Green.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
It depends on what you use as your criteria.

I can see McGahee as elite, but that's based more on potential than performance.

Ahman Green isn't what he was as he's coming off a down year, is fumble-prone, and his O-line isn't looking all that great...

I could definitely see Dillon as elite, maybe in place of Green.

Yeah, I suppose that all of those guys could fall somewhere between Solid and Elite. I understand what you're saying about Green, although I still think that he's a monster.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
That's exactly right.  I would say that he's not even in the Top 25.

Elite

Shaun Alexander

Deuce McAllister

Ahman Green

Ladanian Tomlinson

Priest Holmes

Willis McGahee

Jamal Lewis

Edgerrin James

Solid

Marshall Faulk

DeShaun Foster

Kevin Jones

Clinton Portis

Tiki Barber

Julius Jones

Corey Dillon

Curtis Martin

Rudi Johnson

Somewhere in between Adequate and Solid

Steven Jackson

Marcel Shipp

Thomas Jones

Mike Pittman

Warrick Dunn

Michael Bennett

Mewelde Moore

Brian Westbrook

Lamont Jordan

Larry Johnson

Tatum Bell

Travis Henry

Lee Suggs

Duce Staley

Jerome Bettis

Domanick Davis

Chris Brown

Dominic Rhodes

The adequate-to-solid crowd are guys that won't hurt you, but they're not exactly franchise backs.

Faulk and Martin are kind of old already, and therefore, I can't call them elite at this point (although you can still make a good argument for Martin).  You could make good arguments for Corey Dillon and Tiki Barber as well, but I hesitate to call them elite, although the numbers they put up last year would indicate otherwise.

This year's class is obviously very promising with Brown, Benson, Williams, etc.

Well I like it mostly except for some changes.. Chris Brown, Domanick Davis, Westbrook, and Steven Jackson up a level.

Deshaun Foster and Marshall Faul down a level... Jackson is starting over faulk this year.

Also Willis McGahee shouldnt be an the elite if julius and kevin jones arent. And some could argue putting Jordan up a level with the kind of offense Oakland is having but I dont mind where you put him.

On a sidenote I agree I wouldnt really be surprised if the Redskins beat us. But a lot of people outside of Bears fans think we are a bad team and I dont really agree with that.... Im expecting at least 7 wins and if Kyle Orton isnt 2 bad i wouldnt be surprised with 10-11. Although what im really expecting is a 8-8 or 9-7 season.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Well I like it mostly except for some changes.. Chris Brown, Domanick Davis, Westbrook, and Steven Jackson up a level.

Deshaun Foster and Marshall Faul down a level... Jackson is starting over faulk this year.

Also Willis McGahee shouldnt be an the elite if julius and kevin jones arent.  And some could argue putting Jordan up a level with the kind of offense Oakland is having but I dont mind where you put him.

That sounds about right, although it's mostly speculation at this point since this season hasn't even started.

Chris Brown needs to stay healthy.

And I like Julius more than Kevin.

Lamont obviously needs to prove himself.