Anderson Demoted

Heads22

It's nearing September. They have a big cushion. They are a team built on pitching. Arms are dead right now and need rest, Adkins, whether s***ty or not, will provide some pitchers rest. The logic is simple: protect what makes the team win. It's not as if Anderson was hitting .600. He had one good game on a rookie pitcher. I support the move.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
It's nearing September. They have a big cushion. They are a team built on pitching. Arms are dead right now and need rest, Adkins, whether s***ty or not, will provide some pitchers rest. The logic is simple: protect what makes the team win. It's not as if Anderson was hitting .600. He had one good game on a rookie pitcher.  I support the move.

We could put Crede who isnt going to play anytime soon on the DL and still keep a bat up here.

The arms are dead is great an all, but the playoff roster should be thought of in a logical way. If Jon Adkins is on the playoff roster a lot of people would be livid.

Once again as far as the playoff rosters go I think we have a loophole with Franks injury, hence the Sox not putting him on the 60 day dl yet. Someone's going to have to find out the exact rule on that but Krod did get on the playoff roster because of someone going on the 60 day dl a few years back during the angels run.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
They still have the option of putting Anderson on the playoff roster thanks to Frank's injury.

Jas, are you sure about this?? You probably know the whole krod situation better then me but I do remember that happening. I was just putting 2 and 2 together and thinking Frank's injury gave us a loophole, I wasn't sure though.....

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
Jas, are you sure about this??  You probably know the whole krod situation better then me but I do remember that happening.  I was just putting 2 and 2 together and thinking Frank's injury gave us a loophole, I wasn't sure though.....

Ya, the Sox can replace a player thats on the DL. Thats what the Angels did with Krod. He replaced the lefty Dennis Cook (I think thats who it was) who had a brain aneurism (that or Kent Mercker..actually I think it was Merker).

Podsednik Activated From DL; Anderson to Charlotte; McCarthy to Start Tuesday

By Jason Gage

FutureSox.com

The Chicago White Sox activated leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik from the 15 day disabled list following Sunday’s 9-2 loss against the Seattle Mariners. To make room for Podsednik, the White Sox sent top prospect Brian Anderson back to Charlotte...MORE

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
So you have Adkins up for the next 4 games because you might need him. Meanwhile he becomes eligeble for the playoff roster (where he is not needed) and a player like Anderson becomes ineligeble.

Yes. What's the problem with that? :huh:

Worry about the games we have in front of us, not the potential ones a month away.

What good is Brian Anderson in the playoffs anyways?

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Brian Anderson does great, owns a phenom pitcher, and gets demoted, while Jon Adkins does horribly, has an ERA a little bit above 13, and stays on the active roster. Can someone please explain the logic and/or thought behind this?

How much do you want to bet that Felix Hernandez won't be in the playoffs? That makes Anderson useless, just like Adkins.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:33 AM)
Yes.  What's the problem with that?  :huh:

Worry about the games we have in front of us, not the potential ones a month away.

What good is Brian Anderson in the playoffs anyways?

Personally, I'd be more comfortable with a better RH bat off the bench. Of course, I'd also like to have Ross Gload make the playoff roster, too, but unfortunately that probably isn't happening either...

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
How much do you want to bet that Felix Hernandez won't be in the playoffs? That makes Anderson useless, just like Adkins.

Well considering the other pitchers Anderson has faced, that's a pretty harsh statement, even though if he was playing in October he would be facing those type of pitchers.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
Well it seemed like to the Dam8610 that because of Brian one successful game, he deserved a place on the playoff roster.

Well about 5 games is a pretty small sample size to real take note of the stats, but I think if most were asked around here would you'd prefer Timo or Brian on the post - season roster, they'd say Brian.

Brad Radke, Johan Santana, Randy Johnson, Felix Hernandez, Jamie Moyer.

Those are 5 of the first 6 pitchers Anderson faced. Not exactly the American League pitchers welcoming committee. We really don't have anywhere for Anderson right now. Adkins, yeah he has no real use right now either, but if theres a laugher of a game from here on out, we have that mop up pitcher to save the arms of those that do matter.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
but I think if most were asked around here would you'd prefer Timo or Brian on the post - season roster, they'd say Brian.

That means nothing, and most of the voters would go against Timo just because they hate Timo so much.

Timo has postseason experience. That favors him.

Timo can bunt.

Timo is left handed.

That's about it, but really, how often in the playoffs does it come down to the 25th man? It's not like we're choosing who will bat 3rd in the lineup.

Edited by santo=dorf

Guys we needed to make room for Pods to come back and sending down another outfielder who won't be on the playoff roster isn't a big deal. IMO keeping Adkins is only going to be until Tuesday, when he will be optioned so we can pitch B Mac in the doubleheader.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Well it seemed like to the Dam8610 that because of Brian one successful game, he deserved a place on the playoff roster.

Not at all the case. Brian Anderson has done well in his stint up here IMO, and Jon Adkins has proven himself unworthy of a ML roster spot IMO, therefore Brian Anderson is a better player to keep on the roster IMO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
Well about 5 games is a pretty small sample size to real take note of the stats, but I think if most were asked around here would you'd prefer Timo or Brian on the post - season roster, they'd say Brian.

and I would definitely be among those.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
That means nothing, and most of the voters would go against Timo just because they hate Timo so much.

Timo has postseason experience.  That favors him.

Timo can bunt.

Timo is left handed.

That's about it, but really, how often in the playoffs does it come down to the 25th man?  It's not like we're choosing who will bat 3rd in the lineup.

I would go against Timo because I've always preferred talent and ability to produce over experience, hence voiding your first advantage of keeping Timo over Brian to me. Timo can bunt, but in what limited action he saw, Brian proved that he could bunt too, so that makes them even there. As for a LH bat, I would again argue that talent and ability to produce are more important. Despite these points, if it were up to me, both Brian and Timo would both still be on the roster, and Jon Adkins would be back in Charlotte. IMO, Adkins is simply not deserving of a spot on the 25 man roster, and especially the playoff roster.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
Not at all the case. Brian Anderson has done well in his stint up here IMO, and Jon Adkins has proven himself unworthy of a ML roster spot IMO, therefore Brian Anderson is a better player to keep on the roster IMO.

Take out the Hernandez game. Anderson would be 2 for 17 with 0BB's and 7K's. He'd have an OBP of around .130 - .140, and an OPS below .300.

Just throwing this out there from the Suntimes:

DOWN TIME: With Podsednik coming off the DL today, the Sox must clear a roster spot. It was originally believed that rookie outfielder Brian Anderson would be dropped from the major-league roster for a few days, but he was on the team flight to Texas on Sunday night. Anderson started all three games at Seattle and hit his first two major-league home runs Friday.

If Anderson goes down, he will be eligible to return Thursday when rosters expand.

Here is the whole article.