Crede likely to go on the DL

knightni

What does this say about the Anderson demotion, then?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Crede move likely Monday

Podsednik expected to return from DL for Texas opener

By Doug Miller / MLB.com 

Joe Crede may swap places with Scott Podsednik on the 15-day DL on Monday.

SEATTLE -- Manager Ozzie Guillen wouldn't confirm it, saying that the White Sox had to "be fair with the kid, to see how he feels [Monday]," but all signs pointed to Chicago placing third baseman Joe Crede on the 15-day disabled list once Scott Podsednik is activated from the DL on Monday.

Crede suffered a fracture in his right middle fingertip on Thursday when hit by a pitch while trying to bunt. A trip to the DL wouldn't be necessary if the White Sox can wait until Thursday, when Major League rosters can be expanded, but Guillen said Crede will be placed on the DL if he's unable to play, which still appeared to be the case Sunday.

Although Guillen said Crede "had a lot of progress," the manager also said Crede's finger remained bothersome and that Crede has not done any baseball activities since the injury.

"It's real sensitive right now, but the swelling went down," Guillen said. "The pain is still there."

Pablo Ozuna started Sunday's game against the Mariners at third base, prompting Guillen to move Geoff Blum to first base and Paul Konerko to designated hitter.

Podsednik, meanwhile, will be activated Monday in Texas and will resume his left field and leadoff duties if he doesn't suffer a setback in his second rehab start for Triple-A Charlotte.

Podsednik, who is coming back from a left adductor muscle strain, went 1-for-5 for Charlotte on Saturday night, doubling in the go-ahead run, scoring a run and throwing a runner out at third base.

Guillen said he hopes Podsednik's return will get the Chicago situational offense back into gear after a recent lull in which the starting pitching has kept the team afloat. The starters have an ERA under 2.00 over the last six games.

"He gives the team a chance to refuel, to get back to playing the way we played early in the season," Guillen said. "Everybody knows how important this kid is for us, for the type of game we play."

Contreras talk continues: The recent dominance of Jose Contreras might lead some to believe that Guillen will use the Cuban right-hander as a starter in a four-man playoff staff, but Guillen said the team's decisions will be made at the appropriate time and will be based solely on performance.

Conteras won Saturday night's game over the Mariners, allowing three runs on five hits in seven innings to improve his August record to 3-1 with a 2.14 ERA.

Guillen said he learned a lot from being the third-base coach on the 2003 Florida Marlins, where he watched old-school manager Jack McKeon occasionally shirk convention when it came to starting pitchers. Marlins pitcher Josh Beckett, for example, turned in a complete game on three days' rest in the deciding game of the World Series.

"We manage to win," Guillen said. "I'm not going to manage with my heart."

Griffey laughs off rumor: Over the last few days, rumors have popped up that the White Sox might be trying to work a deal for Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ken Griffey Jr., who's enjoying one of his healthiest and best seasons in years.

On Saturday, Griffey shot down those rumors as soon as reporters approached his locker.

"I'm not going to Chicago," he said, before being asked a question. Griffey then smiled and joked, "I'm not going to offer further comment without the presence of my lawyer."

Taking on all comers: Guillen has plenty of confidence in his first-place team, and he was asked Sunday if he'd prefer to face any particular team when the AL playoffs start Oct. 4.

"I will sit down the day after we clinch and go over everything," Guillen said. "Right now, we seem to play the same against everybody -- one-run games. I don't mind facing anybody."

On deck: The White Sox won't get much time to rest after their three-game set in Seattle. They'll fly to Texas to begin a three-day, four-game series against the Rangers at Ameriquest Field that starts with a 7:05 p.m. CT game Monday night. Mark Buehrle (14-6, 2.99 ERA) will toe the slab for the South Siders against Rangers right-hander Juan Dominguez (1-3, 4.40 ERA).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Was the Anderson move official yet?  Maybe they changed their minds based on Crede not getting healthy?  Either that or they will be swapping Bmac for Crede when this move becomes official.

Unless Bmac takes Adkins spot and then just stays with the team...who knows, I guess we just have to wait and see.....

it says there is no room for him. with Pods coming back in order to get Carl in the lineup he will have to DH and it seems that PK has been doing that a lot lately, probably because of his ailing back. So if PK DH's that either puts Carl on the bench or he plays the field to rest one of those guys. Having Anderson stick around would be pointless cause he wouldn't have enough time to play and I think they want him to get in AB's cause thats the only way hes going to improve

According to the Sun-Times:

NO GO, JOE: If Joe Crede can't play today because of the hairline fracture at the tip of his right middle finger, the Sox are expected to put him on the DL retroactive to last Thursday. That could open a roster spot for Podsednik.

Pablo Ozuna and Geoff Blum will handle the duties at third base in Crede's absence. If Crede goes on the DL and Anderson also is sent down, the Sox likely would recall either Ross Gload or Willie Harris.

So many scenarios....

But if Anderson goes down for Pods, and Gload/Harris comes up for Crede, then one those guys will be post-season eligible. Not to mention the McCarthy/Adkins roster spot.

I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
We just gotta wait until wednesday midnite.  So much suspense in this board. I like it. :)

If Pods is expected back today they would have to make a decision to put Joe on the DL today, no... :huh

I'm checking for verification on Bmac. From what I hear Willie will be with the team tomorrow, thus making him eligible for the playoff roster.

I don't know what exactly they are planning on for tomorrow (in terms of who starts). But they obviously have the option of calling up another pitcher instead of Willie Harris.

Of course I have a feeling Hermanson will be placed on the disabled list.