No VMA thread?

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
It's incredible the popularity that Fall Out Boy has gotten in the last year.  One of my best freinds brother's is in the band, and all the guys for the most part are from the Northern suburbs.

they play in champaign quite often

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big·ot

n.

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Green Day's song refers to a specific segment of the population as rednecks and idiots. They clearly have a prejudice against people who have every right to believe what they believe without someone else calling them those names.

Oh that's right...because Billy Jo is referring to the rich land owning white men who have "ruled" the country for 200+ years we have no right to call him a bigot. *sigh*

Indians and the Chinese represent a huge section of the world population, so they have no right to be upset if I refer to them by using racial slurs

bigotted behavior is bigotted behavior. Billy jo and the rest of green day are bigots, plain and simple.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
big·ot

n.

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Green Day's song refers to a specific segment of the population as rednecks and idiots. They clearly have a prejudice against people who have every right to believe what they believe without someone else calling them those names. 

Oh that's right...because Billy Jo is referring to the rich land owning white men who have "ruled" the country for 200+ years we have no right to call him a bigot. *sigh*

Indians and the Chinese represent a huge section of the world population, so they have no right to be upset if I refer to them by using racial slurs

bigotted behavior is bigotted behavior.  Billy jo and the rest of green day are bigots, plain and simple.

you not like Green Day???

Neither do I. :cheers

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
big·ot

n.

bigotted behavior is bigotted behavior.  Billy jo and the rest of green day are bigots, plain and simple.

sensational

I think they're good song writers...but their politics are terrible, and not because they don't like Bush. That's not the part that bothers me. The disparity between who is allowed to insult who and not the other way around. It's sad politics

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
I like her sound a lot better now, I think this new album is really good. I don't regret spending the money on it.

But, I think her bleach blonde, super thin look is far less attractive. She went from pretty and normal looking to cookie cutter superstar look. But the music is good, so I just won't look at her as I rock out.

She is nasty looking now. Part of her original appeal to me was the downhome, girl next door look. Now she is waaaaaaaaaay to thin.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
She is nasty looking now.  Part of her original appeal to me was the downhome, girl next door look.  Now she is waaaaaaaaaay to thin.

agreed, there's nothing wrong with a curvy girl hollywood

ie: the old lindsay lohan

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
agreed, there's nothing wrong with a curvy girl hollywood

ie: the old lindsay lohan

Man,she used to look hot.But now,if she wear pine tar on her ankles in the weight she is in now,Paulie or Carl could mistake her for a bat.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
I think they're good song writers...

As long as they are copping everybody elses riff's not using one single idea of their own. The new album is a "who's who" of guitar riffs and hooks. I was shocked at how many riffs were "borrowed" on it. BUt as long as you attack the American government, people will claim you great no matter how many songs you steal.

I really like Green Day up to the American Idiot disc.

Not because of their politics, because I don't care who entertainers vote for, but because the disc bores me. Only one song, the title track, sounds like it would fit on any other Green Day disc. It's a meandering, mid-tempo snorefest.

And along the lines of what Kid said, Green Day is helping the environment with all the riffs they've "recycled" for that disc.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
As long as they are copping everybody elses riff's not using one single idea of their own. The new album is a "who's who" of guitar riffs and hooks. I was shocked at how many riffs were "borrowed" on it. BUt as long as you attack the American government, people will claim you great no matter how many songs you steal.

jeeze gimme a break man...while i don't really consider green day punk...(pop punk now), punk music has had ridiculously political lyrics and is based off of three freakin chords...i think complaining about it is ridiculous...thats always been the music...punk grew out form the gutters, the problem now is its growing out of rich suburbs...and it really ruins the sound...

but i laugh at people getting mad at a punk band with radical politics...its pretty much the backbone of the genre.

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
jeeze gimme a break man...while i don't really consider green day punk...(pop punk now), punk music has had ridiculously political lyrics and is based off of three freakin chords...i think complaining about it is ridiculous...thats always been the music...punk grew out form the gutters, the problem now is its growing out of rich suburbs...and it really ruins the sound...

but i laugh at people getting mad at a punk band with radical politics...its pretty much the backbone of the genre.

I said nothing about the lyrics. I know there are not too many original ideas in music anymore, but it is a different story when you are using blatant riffs, and signature riffs from songs. I've written many a song in my day, and I have thrown out many a song when I realized it was a little too close to another song. The problem is that there are so many riffs on that thing that you can't get away from being from other bands and songs. Too lift a riff from somebody who is REALLY obscure, and to do it from one of their obscure songs is one thing. But to lift from something like Cheap Trick is pretty sad. They were known for their friggin' riffs. And when you are basing your album on a serious political hotbed and making an album that is meant to be an artistic statement, "paying tribute" to your influences in using their riffs suddenly becomes a very poor choice. It demeens you original intent in artistic creativity, and it takes away from your seriousness when your audience is suddenly going "HEY! That's from the song "She's Tight" by Cheap Trick"!!!

Though I guess there is some wacky intellectual innuendo there with singing about Bush and using "She's Tight". :ph34r:

And punk has been spilling out of the "rich suburbs" since atleast 1984, as that is when I first shaved half my hair off my head. It isn't a new thing to be in the 'burbs, and if you think it has always been exclusive to the cities, even in it's inception, well, you are wrong. Kids have had angst since the day Adam turned 13.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I said nothing about the lyrics. I know there are not too many original ideas in music anymore, but it is a different story when you are using blatant riffs, and signature riffs from songs. I've written many a song in my day, and I have thrown out many a song when I realized it was a little too close to another song. The problem is that there are so many riffs on that thing that you can't get away from being from other bands and songs. Too lift a riff from somebody who is REALLY obscure, and to do it from one of their obscure songs is one thing. But to lift from something like Cheap Trick is pretty sad. They were known for their friggin' riffs. And when you are basing your album on a serious political hotbed and making an album that is meant to be an artistic statement, "paying tribute" to your influences in using their riffs suddenly becomes a very poor choice. It demeens you original intent in artistic creativity, and it takes away from your seriousness when your audience is suddenly going "HEY! That's from the song "She's Tight" by Cheap Trick"!!!

Though I guess there is some wacky intellectual innuendo there with singing about Bush and using "She's Tight".  :ph34r:

And punk has been spilling out of the "rich suburbs" since atleast 1984, as that is when I first shaved half my hair off my head. It isn't a new thing to be in the 'burbs, and if you think it has always been exclusive to the cities, even in it's inception, well, you are wrong. Kids have had angst since the day Adam turned 13.

i just think y ou have to expect that in a genre that bases itself in three chords...its why brian eno didn't play punk...(thank god)...Creativity in punk comes in other forms like structure and style...i'm not a fan of punk really but Art Brut are an incredibly witty and clever punk band from england that are just awesome....they aren't like hardcore punk...they are...its hard to explain...great band though everyone should check em out

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
Yeah but so much of the three chord thing has vanished, and that Green Day album was trying to be so much more than just a three chord Punk album. They were shooting for Clash-type respectability.

oh, well, i haven't listened to it cause i think green day sucks...

art brut = must have...

:huh

I caught the last 30 minutes or so and saw Kelly Clarkson. She was sloppy, running and jumping around too much and was out of breath and it really screwed up her singing.

Did anyone happen to catch her on SNL a while back?? She sounded AMAZING then. I think she has a good voice, but makes really crappy music, does that make sense? Too bad about her VMA performance, cuz she can really belt it out.