Offical Dave Matthews Band Thread

hi8is

anyone here ever seen dave matthews band live?

i just got back from seein em for the 6th and 7th time and wow, they are f***ing unbeliveable.... just keep getting better

both shows i just saw last night were recorded and if u want them i can hook you up.

this thread was started to gauge the level of intrest for the DMB here on soxtalk.

peace

-t

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hi8is @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
anyone here ever seen dave matthews band live?

i just got back from seein em for the 6th and 7th time and wow, they are f***ing unbeliveable.... just keep getting better

both shows i just saw last night were recorded and if u want them i can hook you up.

this thread was started to gauge the level of intrest for the DMB here on soxtalk.

peace

-t

I saw them about 5 years ago and made the mistake of getting too close to the stage during a clarinet solo -- nearly lost an eardrum! :bang

Great band to see live, however.

making a thread like this you should expect a backlash...

this last cd was the biggest piece of adult contemporary garbage i've ever heard...they make coldplay sound good...and you think somebodys vocabulary would grow...his songs all have the exact same words...its like he just puts the same 15 words in a hat and jumbles em up and writes em down ending in baby ... then they JAM oh, wow, phenominal...i won't deny some of the members talent, mainly the drummers...but i have to say some of the jams(and i am very familiar with dave matthews, dare i say i used to be a fan, but i grew up) are the most generic, predictable pieces ever played...

whats worse is he is getting lazy, not just with his albums but with his setlists...he's playing the same shows over again...

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
making a thread like this you should expect a backlash...

this last cd was the biggest piece of adult contemporary garbage i've ever heard...they make coldplay sound good...and you think somebodys vocabulary would grow...his songs all have the exact same words...its like he just puts the same 15 words in a hat and jumbles em up and writes em down ending in baby ... then they JAM oh, wow, phenominal...i won't deny some of the members talent, mainly the drummers...but i have to say some of the jams(and i am very familiar with dave matthews, dare i say i used to be a fan, but i grew up) are the most generic, predictable pieces ever played...

whats worse is he is getting lazy, not just with his albums but with his setlists...he's playing the same shows over again...

i have to say that everyday was the worst studio album from them by far. i completely disliked it. the new cd, stand up, made me laugh when i first heard it. once again, the studio product wasnt very good. about 1 month ago direct tv ran a new DMB storytellers program. the majority of the songs were from stand up. that special made me see that some of their new songs are pretty good live. american baby. the new live american baby intro (unf***ing believeable.) Stolen Away on 55th & 3rd. Steady As We Go. Good songs. Great songs live. Not classic like some of their pre-2000 era stuff.

after reading your post, i must complament you on your level of maturity. it seems you sure have grown up. dare i say, your ears still have some catching up to do. oh lord, i said it.

have pitty on me you self proclaimed mature person you.

grown up didn't mean maturity...you can't tell me that you didn't have gigantic music phases from age 10-19...once i heard more music, and saw how awesome other stuff was being made you lose the sentimental love affair for a band and as they continue to make garbage albums and your brother makes you listen to a recent live show you begin to really hate them. IMO, they haven't made quality music be it live or studio produced since lillywhite left...kinda like with U2, its like they believe bigger = better...and it becomes sappy and shaves anything interesting from the music...

under the table and dreaming was a very good album, even remember two things...but he should apologize to the world for the garbage that he pushed off as music.

if garbage fills a part of a preformers soul, then play garbage.

when im jamin on guitar and singin along, it might sound like crap to someone, but it fufills something inside of myself. so to whoever dosent like it, cool, go listen to something else... just dont ruin it for me.

80,000 people over the weekend in carson CA would probably want to drown you in hemp oil for some of the stuff your sayin

hah

keep on listening to whatever you like. voice your opion if you like. just never think your better then anyone else, thats how your posts come of... really condasending and authoritive.

might make some people say something stupid like, shut the f*** up asshole

and that isnt nice.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
if garbage fills a part of a preformers soul, then play garbage.

when im jamin on guitar and singin along, it might sound like crap to someone, but it fufills something inside of myself. so to whoever dosent like it, cool, go listen to something else... just dont ruin it for me.

80,000 people over the weekend in carson CA would probably want to drown you in hemp oil for some of the stuff your sayin

hah

keep on listening to whatever you like. voice your opion if you like. just never think your better then anyone else, thats how your posts come of... really condasending and authoritive.

might make some people say something stupid like, shut the f*** up asshole

and that isnt nice.

everything i said was fact...jeeze, like i said don't start a music thread if you don't expect a backlash, and frankly i don't much care for the opinions of 50000 so called hippies that are actually frat boys and high school girls who dress up for a weekend and get in tune with nature...thats a major demographic by no means am i generalizing :P The fact is that it is frustrating to see people who are actually pushing music forward with progressive ideas and fresh sounds that fail to get recognized until a band simplifies the sound (prolly british) and then talks about them as an influence for them to get noticed...while this band honestly got progressively worse, and their notoriety and somehow acclaim went up exponentially, and i can think of no other reason than the influence of the record companies. So excuse me if you just wanted a love fest... i thought an official thread should have a variety of opinions and the dissenting one is that dave matthews makes really bad albums post steve lillywhite hence dave matthews owes lillywhite his life for whatever creative juices he gave him...When he was making the lillywhite sessions he should have done a wilco on his record company and refused to change it...had that happened, who knows i could have still been a dave matthews fan...but not bloody likely

QUOTE(hi8is @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
voice your opion if you like. just never think your better then anyone else, thats how your posts come of... really condasending and authoritive.

the lillywhite sessons are godly compared to busted stuff.

i gotta run, my hippy cloths and pacholie insence are calling my name. im sick of my current fratboy persona... and am in dire need of an aenima.

cheers mate :cheers

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
Daveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, man, f***ing, Daveeeeeeeeeee.

marijuana.jpg

Now, all you have to do is light up a spliff, put on some aviator sunglasses, throw on some birkenstocks and you can look like every other frat-boy in America.

:puke  :puke  :puke

So since I like Dave... I smoke pot, and am a huge frat-boy.... :rolly :headshake

I'm entering this thread after seeing him 5 times... and hopefully red rocks in a few weeks if my aunt can come up with tickets.

First, bmags, saying he owes lillywhite his life is outrageous. He wrote and performed ALL of the songs on UTTAD and R2T BEFORE being signed. And some of the Crash and Before these Crowded Streets songs.

Also, Everyday was their worst album. No disagreement.

Stand Up isnt as good, but live the songs take on a new life.

However, Busted Stuff was good. Steve Harris did a nice job with producing what Lillywhite couldnt finish.

everything i said was fact

here, however you lose credibility. As a grown up, you would probably know that it is an album tour, so the setlists have mostly songs from the new album and are of course going to be similar.

But calling the band lazy, hell, I bet you werent aware that last weekend at the Gorge they covered the great Beatles tune "Blackbird."

Or at Alpine Valley when they busted out So Much to Say>Anyone Seen the Bridge Jam>Superfreak (yes the rick james song)>Too Much without stopping a beat.

Maybe you werent aware that during Jimi Thing at Alpine this year he covered Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth."

Nope, the Dave Matthews Band is lazy.... I for one blame the new album on Mark Batson, who they will be recording with again this January, and hopefully he will be a little more hands off.

rant over

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
So since I like Dave... I smoke pot, and am a huge frat-boy.... :rolly  :headshake

Again that's how I feel, I see it alot at shows and hate sitting on the lawn. But that's where my friends are and thats what some of them do. Me, I'm there for the music.

So those of you who feel that ALL DMB fans are Frat boy wannabes and hippies, :finger

Edited by Pauly8509CWS

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
So since I like Dave... I smoke pot, and am a huge frat-boy.... :rolly  :headshake

If I had to guess.... :P

I'm out. Enjoy Dave. Enjoy Phish.

Sadly, those are some very skilled musicans who's collective fan-base drives me up the wall.

I get the music. What I don't get is the "Phish is God movement."

This thread will only get me in trouble. I'm out. Listen to whatever you want, as long as it's legal. :D

Have a nice day. :cheers