Offical Dave Matthews Band Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
Again that's how I feel, I see it alot at shows and hate sitting on the lawn.  But that's where my friends are and thats what some of them do.  Me, I'm there for the music. 

So those of you who feel that ALL DMB fans are Frat boy wannabes and hippies,  :finger

Exactly. I don't smoke, and I rarely drink, if at all. But since I like Dave, I must do both with a popped-collar.

I guess we're all white trash, mullet-wearing, base coach-beating Sox fans too. It's the same thing, and it's not cool.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
I'm entering this thread after seeing him 5 times... and hopefully red rocks in a few weeks if my aunt can come up with tickets.

First, bmags, saying he owes lillywhite his life is outrageous.  He wrote and performed ALL of the songs on UTTAD and R2T BEFORE being signed.  And some of the Crash and Before these Crowded Streets songs.

Also, Everyday was their worst album.  No disagreement.

Stand Up isnt as good, but live the songs take on a new life.

However, Busted Stuff was good.  Steve Harris did a nice job with producing what Lillywhite couldnt finish.

here, however you lose credibility.  As a grown up, you would probably know that it is an album tour, so the setlists have mostly songs from the new album and are of course going to be similar.

But calling the band lazy, hell, I bet you werent aware that last weekend at the Gorge they covered the great Beatles tune "Blackbird."

Or at Alpine Valley when they busted out So Much to Say>Anyone Seen the Bridge Jam>Superfreak (yes the rick james song)>Too Much without stopping a beat.

Maybe you werent aware that during Jimi Thing at Alpine this year he covered Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth."

Nope, the Dave Matthews Band is lazy....  I for one blame the new album on Mark Batson, who they will be recording with again this January, and hopefully he will be a little more hands off.

rant over

everything i said was fact was sneering at the fact that he was calling my post condescending because it didn't agree with his views and its a way to make someone back off when they shouldn't have to...

And how long have you been a dave matthews band fan? Because in 1998-1999 when i was really in my phase, every setlist, EVERY night was absolutely ridiculously eclectic and really different, thats why people traded shows religiously back then...(i don't care if dave matthews created those songs before steve lillywhite, the fact is he couldn't make a good studio album with out him and the difference between a bad album and a good album can be made by a producer (ala every weezer producer POST WEEZER)), and since i'd say 02, his setlists have not been varied much at all...

And yes i'm familiar with dave matthews and phish covering bands that can create original music, frankly i think he relies on those cover songs during his shows to pick up the energy where his music can't, as was the case with when he brought out super freak in my opinion...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
Exactly.  I don't smoke, and I rarely drink, if at all.  But since I like Dave, I must do both with a popped-collar. 

I guess we're all white trash, mullet-wearing, base coach-beating Sox fans too.  It's the same thing, and it's not cool.

shutup hippy

and yes, addy is right.

dave sucks.

:P

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
And yes i'm familiar with dave matthews and phish covering bands that can create original music, frankly i think he relies on those cover songs during his shows to pick up the energy where his music can't, as was the case with when he brought out super freak in my opinion...

maybe to pay respect to Rick James who died the day before? :huh

and you do know that John Alagia produced Remember Two Things and not Lillywhite like you had previously suggested.

I really dont understand the hatred for Phish, DMB, Grateful Dead, and such on this board. Even Coldplay gets a bad rap over at Soxtalk, apparently the majority here are into punk, metal, or hard rock.

I just don't "get anything" out of listening to dave, it just doesn't do anything for me.

It wouldn't be an issue if i didn't hate the type of people that usually listen to dave (already discussed in this thread.)

Phish is ok, i have a full album of them covering beatles songs, it's really great.

phish - billy breaths.... f***ING CLASIC

opeth - blackwater park and still life... f***ING CLASSIC

tool - aenima... yeah, CLASSIC

yoyoma CLASSIC

dave matthews - under the table and dreaming, any show of his over the last 14 years - CLASSIC

ok, i shall now be matyered. YES I CAN SPELL...

just badly.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
maybe to pay respect to Rick James who died the day before? :huh

and you do know that John Alagia produced Remember Two Things and not Lillywhite like you had previously suggested.

I really dont understand the hatred for Phish, DMB, Grateful Dead, and such on this board.  Even Coldplay gets a bad rap over at Soxtalk, apparently the majority here are into punk, metal, or hard rock.

hmm...yes...lets pay respects to a cokehead who kidnapped a minor for thirty days!

And a lot of people hate phish, dmb, and coldplay, because they play boring trodding music...for the first two its just boring jamming that anyone with four years experience on guitar could do and they always play too many notes. Their music isn't good.

With coldplay its that they stole someone elses sound and refuse to grow from album to album for fear of losing popularity and he also stole how bono sings on stage...chris martin is such a b****...

and i said "even remember two things" ... it was reluctant because it was alright but nowwhere near under the table and dreaming. It was still better than his later stuff...

its funny that you take more offense to someone bringing valid points to why dave sucks than people just saying dave sucks...

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
I just don't "get anything" out of listening to dave, it just doesn't do anything for me.

It wouldn't be an issue if i didn't hate the type of people that usually listen to dave (already discussed in this thread.)

Phish is ok, i have a full album of them covering beatles songs, it's really great.

speaking of phish covers, should listen to their cover of gin and juice-- :lolhitting

/only phish song i remotely like...

Edited by Goldmember

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:43 AM)

I actually found that article hilarious.

and to bmags, saying that Lillywhite made the band is a falacy. The songs were written and performed wayyy before they worked with him.

I'm really curious as to how boring a song like The Stone would sound to someone who's actually picked up a guitar. IMO the hardest DMB song to play.

Your opinions are extremely biased and I doubt that you've ever actually been to a show recently or even at all.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Your opinions are extremely biased and I doubt that you've ever actually been to a show recently or even at all.

why would i pay money to see a band that doesn't appeal to me on the radio?

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
I actually found that article hilarious.

and to bmags, saying that Lillywhite made the band is a falacy.  The songs were written and performed wayyy before they worked with him.

I'm really curious as to how boring a song like The Stone would sound to someone who's actually picked up a guitar.  IMO the hardest DMB song to play.

i question how much music you've actually listened to if you think a dave matthews song is hard to play...

and i went to alpine valley in...99 i believe...good show, good fun...compared to the decemberists show, broken social scenes, the constantines though...just horns and up tempo music...nothin that special

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
That wasnt directed towards you...

The Stone Tabs There, if you play, which I doubt, try it, and play it up to speed with the videos they show...

:lolhitting :lolhitting

you've hit a new low when you are trying to prove dave matthews worth as a guitar player...

You know what I don't understand?

Why you would go into a thread to s*** all over something someone likes.

I don't go into NASCAR, college football, or similiar threads to belittle other people's pleasures. I am baffled by this aspect of the SLAP forum.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:47 AM)
You know what I don't understand?

Why you would go into a thread to s*** all over something someone likes.

I don't go into NASCAR, college football, or similiar threads to belittle other people's pleasures. I am baffled by this aspect of the SLAP forum.

politiking is all arguments...and i don't know why we all would have to go into the official dave matthews thread to just praise him...if its official it would have all sorts of info on him, like how he succombed to the pressure of his record company to reach a greater demographic aka sell his soul to sell more records...he basically steals everything even the story of the crossroads except much more suburban. I don't understand why someone can voice his opinion on a person in a good light, and i can't equally express my opinion on that person in a nother light...thats ridiculous. I haven't called hi8is bad at guitar, a sellout who can't make a good studio record anymore...i called dave matthews this, in the official dave matthews thread...so whats the problem?

and to hi8is...dave matthews isn't even the best guitar player in his genre, (obviously tim reynolds is in a league of his own), i'd say he's better than trey anastacio, but john mayer is a much better guitar player than him despite the fact that he steals entire jams from live shows from SRV. For the most part, considering i don't even play the guitar but have three older brothers who do, and with little practice i could play 4 dave matthews songs (two steps, satellite, *watchtower 3/4s, jimmy thing) i think i'm entitled to say that his songs are not that difficult. The best musician is obviously their drummer.

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
politiking is all arguments...and i don't know why we all would have to go into the official dave matthews thread to just praise him...if its official it would have all sorts of info on him, like how he succombed to the pressure of his record company to reach a greater demographic aka sell his soul to sell more records...he basically steals everything even the story of the crossroads except much more suburban. I don't understand why someone can voice his opinion on a person in a good light, and i can't equally express my opinion on that person in a nother light...thats ridiculous. I haven't called hi8is bad at guitar, a sellout who can't make a good studio record anymore...i called dave matthews this, in the official dave matthews thread...so whats the problem?

But what's the point of arguing if you refuse to even listen to the other side's debate and point? There's a difference in debating the merits of certain artists and saying this artist sucks and the only people who like them are drunk frat boys. One is constructive the other is pointless and can get rude and degrading.

There's a big difference. And, personally, I don't like DMB either, but it's a matter of personal taste and I'm certainly not going to act like I'm some musically superior person because I don't like them. That's sort of my point.