Offical Dave Matthews Band Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
But what's the point of arguing if you refuse to even listen to the other side's debate and point? There's a difference in debating the merits of certain artists and saying this artist sucks and the only people who like them are drunk frat boys. One is constructive the other is pointless and can get rude and degrading.

There's a big difference. And, personally, I don't like DMB either, but it's a matter of personal taste and I'm certainly not going to act like I'm some musically superior person because I don't like them. That's sort of my point.

i haven't said this artist sucks, i actually gave legitimate points...which is why i was suprised he was more mad at me then the people who actually said dave matthews sucks exclusively...and the point about him appealing to frat boys and high school girls is undoubtedly true...just go to a concert/visit a frat/high school girls (they'll be in the same place)...

And i have listened to his stuff and countered it...so really there is no reason to get upset about what i've been typing...unless you are a dave matthews fan and there are other reasons why they'd be upset about that in the first place

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
i haven't said this artist sucks, i actually gave legitimate points...which is why i was suprised he was more mad at me then the people who actually said dave matthews sucks exclusively...and the point about him appealing to frat boys and high school girls is undoubtedly true...just go to a concert/visit a frat/high school girls (they'll be in the same place)...

And i have listened to his stuff and countered it...so really there is no reason to get upset about what i've been typing...unless you are a dave matthews fan and there are other reasons why they'd be upset about that in the first place

I don't think anyone was "mad" about your opinion. I do think, though, that you could have been more respectful of other people's opinions instead of, I used to like DMB, but then I matured. I guess, when I post I try to read it and think about if someone was taking that tone to one of my posts. That generally keeps me close to inline (although, I will sometimes lose that perspective, usually with just one poster, but usuallly. . .).

And for the record, the hugest DMB fan I have ever met is my advisor who holds a PhD, taught/researched at MIT, consults on a pretty prestigious journal in the field and has a very impressive CV for someone her age. There's no point in generalizing about people's fan bases.

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)

But to say all his fans are of that genre is bulls*** too. I'm a Dave fan, but nobody would type cast me as a frat guy. Nor would I want to be.

I brought it up earlier in the thread. I know people have gotten looks sometimes for saying they're a White Sox fan. People assume that all White Sox fans are ghetto/white trash, mullet-wearing, base-coach beating, etc. I don't see how that's any different, than saying all DMB fans must be tokers and/or frat guys.

Assumptions aren't always right or fair.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
But to say all his fans are of that genre is bulls*** too.  I'm a Dave fan, but nobody would type cast me as a frat guy.  Nor would I want to be. 

I brought it up earlier in the thread.  I know people have gotten looks sometimes for saying they're a White Sox fan.  People assume that all White Sox fans are ghetto/white trash, mullet-wearing, base-coach beating, etc.  I don't see how that's any different, than saying all DMB fans must be tokers and/or frat guys. 

The one about Dave is damn close.

I actually went to a Dave concert at U of I because a friend from out of town came down for it. Not only did i not enjoy it, but the stereotypes presented fit that concert perfectly.

You're an exception to the rule as far as i'm concerned Greasy.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
But to say all his fans are of that genre is bulls*** too.  I'm a Dave fan, but nobody would type cast me as a frat guy.  Nor would I want to be. 

I brought it up earlier in the thread.  I know people have gotten looks sometimes for saying they're a White Sox fan.  People assume that all White Sox fans are ghetto/white trash, mullet-wearing, base-coach beating, etc.  I don't see how that's any different, than saying all DMB fans must be tokers and/or frat guys. 

quote me

grown up didn't mean maturity...you can't tell me that you didn't have gigantic music phases from age 10-19

plus i said demographic, and i don't have a problem saying dave matthews plays to frat boys and high school girls, and i don't have a problem saying backstreet boys played to middle school girls, and i don't have a problem saying that cat power plays to a female crowd despite the fact i've been to her shows...

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
The one about Dave is damn close.

I actually went to a Dave concert at U of I because a friend from out of town came down for it. Not only did i not enjoy it, but the stereotypes presented fit that concert perfectly.

You're an exception to the rule as far as i'm concerned Greasy.

I guess I just hang out with a weird group then. Because I have a good group of friends that have nothing to do with greek life, etc. and they're Dave fans also. I know several exceptions.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
I'm certainly not going to act like I'm some musically superior person because I don't like them. That's sort of my point.

Perfect description of how bmags has portrayed himself. :notworthy

I'm not sure what youre valid points were, maybe it was saying that it was the worst piece of adult temporary garbage in a long time. Or saying he sucks at guitar without proof, like when I showed tabs to a song that you'll never be able to play in your life, not saying that you would want to. Maybe it was when you said Lillywhite wrote DMB's music and that he gave them creative juices, which, was clearly wrong, like I had proven. But you dont care about the other opinions and continue to throw out there, dave matthews sucks. Your own opinion, not backed up by some mythical facts that you clame are the absolute and undisputed truth.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Perfect description of how bmags has portrayed himself.  :notworthy

I'm not sure what youre valid points were, maybe it was saying that it was the worst piece of adult temporary garbage in a long time.  Or saying he sucks at guitar without proof, like when I showed tabs to a song that you'll never be able to play in your life, not saying that you would want to.  Maybe it was when you said Lillywhite wrote DMB's music and that he gave them creative juices, which, was clearly wrong, like I had proven.  But you dont care about the other opinions and continue to throw out there, dave matthews sucks.  Your own opinion, not backed up by some mythical facts that you clame are the absolute and undisputed truth.

its good that you can make up things to act like your right...i never said that steve lillywhite WROTE dave matthews music...but it is true that i said that he can't make a studio album post steve lilly white...and you didn't prove anything, because i threw in remember to things as a concession, its nowhere near as good as under the table or before these crowded streets, and as you guys are all jumping on the bandwagon of saying i portrayed myself as arrogant, maybe you should realize that you are now attacking a poster, while i was attacking a band. And just as you think that he made good albums somehow post lillywhite, i think he makes adult comtemporary garbage. At least i gave reasons to why dave matthews sucks and credence that he made good albums in the past, why you feel so insecure about liking dave matthews i don't know, when someone says they don't like a band i don't like i can back up why it sounds good to me, everyone responding to me acts like I shot a baby. If i started an official music thread, i guarantee you i wouldn't get as upset as you guys would if people came in and said they sucked.

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
its good that you can make up things to act like your right...i never said that steve lillywhite WROTE dave matthews music...but it is true that i said that he can't make a studio album post steve lilly white...and you didn't prove anything, because i threw in remember to things as a concession, its nowhere near as good as under the table or before these crowded streets, and as you guys are all jumping on the bandwagon of saying i portrayed myself as arrogant, maybe you should realize that you are now attacking a poster, while i was attacking a band. And just as you think that he made good albums somehow post lillywhite, i think he makes adult comtemporary garbage. At least i gave reasons to why dave matthews sucks and credence that he made good albums in the past, why you feel so insecure about liking dave matthews i don't know, when someone says they don't like a band i don't like i can back up why it sounds good to me, everyone responding to me acts like I shot a baby. If i started an official music thread, i guarantee you i wouldn't get as upset as you guys would if people came in and said they sucked.

It doesn't matter to me what you think about the music I like and what you like. I could care less what people say about Dave as a musician. I know what I like, and I'll continue to like so and so. I just don't like being typecasted. Is that not fair?

i dont' think you're being typecasted...when i say dave matthews plays to a frat boy/HS girl crowd, he does...

i don't seem to mind when someone says that a band plays to girls when i see when i'm at their show i'm one of 15 guys there...

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
i dont' think you're being typecasted...when i say dave matthews plays to a frat boy/HS girl crowd, he does...

i don't seem to mind when someone says that a band plays to girls when i see when i'm at their show i'm one of 15 guys there...

I guess it wasn't you that did it, but it's posts like the one below, that get under my skin.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
Daveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, man, f***ing, Daveeeeeeeeeee.

marijuana.jpg

Now, all you have to do is light up a spliff, put on some aviator sunglasses, throw on some birkenstocks and you can look like every other frat-boy in America.

:puke  :puke  :puke

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)

I like ONE album post lillywhite. And BTCS is better than UTTAD.

Again you avoid your attacks of dave as a guitar player and saying its easy stuff. I'd like to see how many of your bands use a 12 string acoustic...

I'm pretty sure you did suggest the stereotypes..

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
everything i said was fact...jeeze, like i said don't start a music thread if you don't expect a backlash, and frankly i don't much care for the opinions of 50000 so called hippies that are actually frat boys and high school girls who dress up for a weekend and get in tune with nature
Edited by Pauly8509CWS

I don't like to get into deep music discussions because it's all subjective but personally i would rather listen to my neighbors' cats fight all night than listen to DMB.

Before anyone jumps...i have a good friend who is a big fan so yes i've listened to the albums......a few of them more than once, and i just can't see the appeal. I'm not doubting he's got fans but again it's all subjective.

juddling

QUOTE(juddling @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
I don't like to get into deep music discussions because it's all subjective but personally i would rather listen to my neighbors' cats fight all night than listen to DMB. 

Before anyone jumps...i have a good friend who is a big fan so yes i've listened to the albums......a few of them more than once, and i just can't see the appeal.  I'm not doubting he's got fans but again it's all subjective.

juddling

thats how you make a post with a point and get respect

props juddling.

some people might want to take notice.

but then again, not taking notice is a trait of taints united.

many members of which, seem to be congragating here.

TAINTS UNITE!

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
I like ONE album post lillywhite.  And BTCS is better than UTTAD.

Again you avoid your attacks of dave as a guitar player and saying its easy stuff.  I'd like to see how many of your bands use a 12 string acoustic...

OMG ZZ 12 STRINGZZZ OMG !!!!

compared to brian eno, stevie ray vaughan, buddy guy, if we are going acoustic, i'd go elliot smith, i'd take jeff mangum, nearly everyone i'd listen to could take dave matthews minus...hmmm death from above cause they only play a bass, but i'd still be willing to see them try...jonny greenwood would own him...hell thom yorke i'd even say could take em...

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm pretty sure you did suggest the stereotypes..

that's their demographic...like i said...boy bands, chick bands, jam bands...

i follow generalizations...when i go to a show in the city, i just have to follow a bunch of kids that look like they are going to the show and 70 percen tof the time it works...

its nothing to be sensitive over...

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
OMG ZZ 12 STRINGZZZ OMG !!!!

compared to brian eno, stevie ray vaughan, buddy guy, if we are going acoustic, i'd go elliot smith, i'd take jeff mangum, nearly everyone i'd listen to could take dave matthews minus...hmmm death from above cause they only play a bass, but i'd still be willing to see them try...jonny greenwood would own him...hell thom yorke i'd even say could take em...

I'd take elliot smith as well...

But I take it you dont play?

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
I'd take elliot smith as well...

But I take it you dont play?

all my brothers played and by the time i got around they wouldn't pay for me cause i had 2 brothers in college at once...

i played for 4 years with my brothers guitar as he gave me lessons, i used to actually be able to play something like music but i haven't played in damn near 4 years...