Question...

Steff

It depends.

Me not telling someone their new perm makes them look like a poodle, not deception.

Me not telling my best friend I'm sleeping with her brother or boyfriend, yes.

I guess it depends on what it is you're omitting. . .

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
It depends.

Me not telling someone their new perm makes them look like a poodle, not deception.

Me not telling my best friend I'm sleeping with her brother or boyfriend, yes.

I guess it depends on what it is you're omitting. . .

I was going to try to be more specific, but I couldn't figure out exactly how.

How about.. not regarding casual friendships (i.e.. hair style comments) but in close friendships, relationships (married, or exclusively dating, or parental). Relationships where you're supposed to be able to be honest about any and everything.. no matter how stupid or potentially distructive... is it best to be completely open... or keep a bit back for sake of harmony or not hurting your friend/partner/parent...??

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
I was going to try to be more specific, but I couldn't figure out exactly how.

How about.. not regarding casual friendships (i.e.. hair style comments) but in close friendships, relationships (married, or exclusively dating, or parental). Relationships where you're supposed to be able to be honest about any and everything.. no matter how stupid or potentially distructive... is it best to be completely open... or keep a bit back for sake of harmony or not hurting your friend/partner/parent...??

I think it depends on the friend. Like my college roommate would never really say anything negative like, your hair looks like crap. Which was fine--because I knew not to ask her. I do have a friend that is totally brutally honest about everything, and I know I can be that way with her. So, I guess it depends on the person, your relationship with them, and all that.

I tried to word it myself and it turns out Soxy said it the best. Brian, my sister and my best friend, I hold nothing back. A few of my other friends and family, I tend to keep my mouth shut unless it is something they really need to know, ie cheating, stealing something like that.