"Official Double Dip Thread" 8/30/05

Brian

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
Couple weeks ago we had 2 Cy Young hopefuls.  Looks like we may have none.

I'm used to this by now. Every pitcher we've had for the last 3 or 4 years have faded towards the end of the season besides Colon. Look at Loaiza 2 years ago, Buerhle this year and last year, and now Garland. Maybe we SHOULD go to a 6 man rotation.

QUOTE(atrain081 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
I'm used to this by now.  Every pitcher we've had for the last 3 or 4 years have faded towards the end of the season besides Colon.  Look at Loaiza 2 years ago, Buerhle this year and last year, and now Garland.  Maybe we SHOULD go to a 6 man rotation.

Or maybe we shouldn't have every pitcher basically throw a ton of pitches every game, no matter what the score is?

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Ozzie! please tell the white sox to get their heads outta their asses!!

Don't worry. Hawk said Ozzie has just the plan to keep the team from faltering down the stretch.

:rolly

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
I think the opposite.  I think BMAC is capable of keeping them more off balance than jon is right now.  He is throwing meatballs down the middle of the plate, and they are killing it.  Pick some corners, and this game isnt quite the same.

I hope you're right, because our bullpen is going to be tapped in this game. Soriano drilled that ball and Garland's lucky he didn't get underneath it a tad or it would be 8-3 right now.

Garland either can't or won't challenge this line up. He looks scared for some reason.

Like I said, its Jon of 2004. Jon has the talent, but it seems the mental aggressiveness is not there. Look at all the greats. Pedro, Roger, and, not as openly, Greg Maddux. They all challenge the hitters and come right after them. They let the hitters know whos boss and they never back down from anyone. Even when their stuff is gone, they can dominate because they are so confident and overwhelming mentally. Jon Garland is a talented chicken.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Garland either can't or won't challenge this line up. He looks scared for some reason.

Probably the look of someone who realizes what's at stake if he loses. Guess this is what happens when our top-of-the-rotation pitchers face quality hitting, patient teams down the stretch.

Although all of this should be moot because I thought good pitching defeats good hitting. That was always the excuse last year to explain our troubles, right?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Rock, I was sitting here and watching it just thinking Sori was gonna park one in the bleachers.  He got the pitch, just missed it.

I flinched, and then opened my eyes, and I was surprised he wasnt trotting around the bases

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
carl needs to get the walk in that situation, and put himself on base.  Foul a couple of more off, and then wait for the last ball.

You're right. Although it seems all he's been doing is trying to hit a HR and nothing else.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
If we were to win this game, it would be our first victory this month after trailing by more than one run.  If that doesn't speak wonders about your offense, nothing does.

Seriously, I think we can score a few more runs, but the job is holding them down from here on out. They cannot score anymore if we have a chance.